Work in Australia

Started by anportmorforjfc, February 27, 2014, 12:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Lads I am thinking about going out to Australia in about October time on the year visa and was wandering does anyone know anywhere or anyone hiring to arrange a job in advance before I leave home. I have a degree in Hospitality, I know it isn't as handy as a trade but I was thinking there should be work around in my field. I just don't know whether it is worth taking the risk of going out with no job and then having to come home again in the near future if I don't find anything. I was thinking of Sydney or Perth. Any information would help.

Cheers

The Subbie

www.seek.com.au is your first port of call, have a look there and see what jobs are advertised in your field.

The big problem you are going to have is that 99% of the time as soon as you mention the working holiday visa employers will hire someone else, I'm here near 4 years & I've heard about this countless times, BUT there are jobs especially in hospitality and especially if you look beyond the big cities.

I'm working in the bush at the min and there is a steady stream of backpacking barmen/barmaids/waiters/waitresses through the few bars and restaurants in the town closest to me that are hired through an agency in Brisbane, the deal seems to be go to work in the arsehole of nowhere, bed and board paid for, work 6 days on 1 day off for 8 -10 weeks then away you go with a good stack of $$$ in your pocket for a few weeks and then come back and do it all again.

Any of the ladies and lads I've spoken to that are doing this tell me they save way more money doing this than they would in the cities.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a seriously expensive place, I mean f**king seriously expensive. But don't let that put you off, great country & lik anywhere else mostly great people, like anywhere else in the world don't take any wankers with ya, you'll find a few here waiting for ya!!

Let me know if you have any questions, there's a few other exiles kicking around that would answer any queries you might have.

Never beat the deeler

Would echo a lot of what the subbie has said, but would also add - don't see a degree in hospitality as a hindrance when coming out here, on the contrary - there has been a down turn in the Mining / Construction industry where a lot of companies are laying staff off (Forge group going burst leaving 1300 jobless a perfect case in point)

At the same time, there is a reported shortage in the hospitality industry and hospitality bosses are asking for a lot more hospitality type positions to be placed on the skilled list.

QuoteKitchen-hands, waiters, café and restaurant managers and chefs are the most in-demand occupations in the sector and will continue to be well beyond 2015," he said.

http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au/food/news/457-visa-review-welcomed-by-restaurant-catering

Something to note also - you will need to complete your Responsible Server of Alcohol (RSA) once you get here. Its a simple course (about 6 hours and less that $100 should do it)

http://www.rgl.wa.gov.au/Default.aspx?NodeId=101&DocId=61235

Sorry, can't help with specifics, not in the industry myself. Good luck
Hasta la victoria siempre

The Subbie

Good man deeler, I forgot to mention the RSA, it's also a good idea to do the responsible service of gambling one and also do the barista course as well, these are basically scams to make money for "training" companies as far as I can see but they are a requirement for almost all hospitality jobs.