Stepten Lee arrested in betting inquiry

Started by anportmorforjfc, February 12, 2010, 11:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Snooker player Stephen Lee arrested in betting inquiry

Snooker player Stephen Lee has been arrested following an investigation into suspicious betting patterns.
West Midlands Police confirmed that the player, from Trowbridge, Wiltshire, and ranked number 25 in the world, was arrested on Thursday.
A spokesman said: "A 35-year-old man from Wiltshire was arrested on Thursday 11 February on suspicion of cheating."
He said the arrest followed a joint operation with the Gambling Commission over concerns about betting patterns.
World Snooker, the commercial arm of governing body the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA), said it was awaiting further developments.
"We are aware of the recent news articles concerning match fixing and are awaiting further reports," a statement said.
"In instances where the Gambling Commission commences an investigation into a match, the WPBSA works together with the commission to assist in its inquiries and the WPBSA will hold its own investigation open pending the conclusion.
"However, neither the commission nor the WPBSA will release information surrounding a betting matter while an investigation in ongoing."

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longrunsthefox

Will the police be able to follow through with this?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Bensars

I wouldnt "baulk" at this story to much. Must be a "kick" in the teeth for Lee.

Sandino

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Minder

He will be takin a long break from the game after this.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 12, 2010, 01:43:55 PM
How much did he pocket?

Nothing, it was a foul, though unlike John Terry it wasn't a miss, but they are both screwed.
MWWSI 2017

Bensars

Dunno, havent heard. Obviously someone planted this story in the media