Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver hill

The old Fly on a Tuesday night was some spot. Sometimes after the comedy night in the Empire.
Basically a converted house, tight corners everywhere, the wemen had nowhere to hide!😂

Milltown Row2

I remember it at the time but this case today has given a lot more to his death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-56979521
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2021, 08:22:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2021, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2021, 07:37:59 PM
Never did the Crescent, just didn't trust it. Would have been in Lavery's a lot mind you, Alex Higgins was a regular begging for pints there for a few stories. Was in the upstairs the night after the riots in Dublin at the Ireland England match. A few C18 boys with the spiders web tattoos on the head were pushing their way round the place. Got out quick smart!

Laverys was grand by local standard, the BOT back in the day, 88 was local regulars downstairs, few peelers solicitors and the south Belfast professionals while upstairs the students, where you there before the current building?

I had 1 year of the old Bot. Was never a big fan of it to be honest but would still have drunk in it regular as that's just what you did!
Think I was the same. One of the lads knew the bouncers so he was able to open the doors and we ran up the back stairs. I seem to recall the bar upstairs being in the middle with a wee dance floor. Good spot on a Wednesday night. The Fly was also a great spot on a Wed night. Maybe it's nostalgia but all the old spots seemed better before their renovations.

delgany

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 10:32:07 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 29, 2021, 09:35:51 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 09:30:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2021, 08:12:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2021, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 28, 2021, 03:04:41 PM
Whats wrong with the ones at Elms? I thought they would be a decent standard considering they are Queens Halls?

It's liked a compact Japanese room, pretty basic, lovely shared kitchen, but for £500 a month her room is smaller than my living room
Sounds familiar. I remember my room in halls (probably now demolished) was basically the length of a bed with a wee cubby hole just past it that was a wardrobe and sink.

Only the posh kids stayed in the halls back in the day. We'd to slum it in the Holylands.

I got lucky down there, some really decent places (for us at the time), clean and tidy and decently priced.

I seen some of the messes my friends ended up in though....It was an early lesson in first come, first served.

It really was a race to get decent digs.
The halls were just too expensive in the 90s anyway, I'm sure it's worse now. I certainly couldn't afford it but would always have loved to have had a year in them.
We had some ropey houses....one on Fitzroy took the prize for being the worst in living history. We had rats, damp, no living room....it was dire. Thinking back on it I dont know why we ever stayed in it.

Dogshit Ave with the crusties was a dire place.

We'd a rat too in one of the houses, feckin thing ate a full slice of bread soaked in bleach and aftershave and was still kicking till it got a hurl across the skull one thursday night.
It was owned by a lovely wee old couple from Fermanagh, but the house was damp as f**k, so much so we deliberately set the chimney on fire by sticking a paling post up it. The burning embers floating out over Fitzroy was like fireworks.

Laird estate agents by any chance? They had every hole in Belfast on their books.
We lived in an upstairs flat above some auld fella who complained about us making noise opening the door to our flat, collected rubbish off the street and stored it in his flat and in the back yard and tended to walk around the place in his pj's which were opened wide for ventilation and left nothing to the imagination!
We got pissed off with him and watched for him leaving one day and glued an empty beer can to the step at the front door and then sat back to watch the auld cratur try to pick it up.
I think the flats were owned by the same guy who owned the spar shop down in the hollylands. Money grabbing heur.

Ginger cu*t , took my mate to court , for doing a runner in May. Judge dismissed the case .Local  SDLP councillor & MMM are three 'property developers ' of ill- repute in Holylands with multiple HMO status.

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2021, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 04, 2021, 05:50:56 PM
Quote from: TabClear on May 04, 2021, 04:37:57 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 04, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
You wouldn't have kept a Jack Russell in some of the kips on Wellesley Ave.

A Jack Russell would have been safer up those streets than down near Renshaws, bit too close to Kam Wah in botanic....

Dear god I forgot about the Kam Wah! Wee auld fella used to sit out the back and shout at everyone.
Place was stinking.

I was never a huge renshaws fan, but does anyone remember the Crescent on Sandy Row? Jeez it was some spot...2 quid in, drinks about 80p. Sawdust on the floor and and a very dodgy management.
The attic in laverys was class in the mid 90s too, a wee dingy nightclub.

Crescent UDA downstairs catholic students upstairs, I darken it's door once, being a local I was wise to the joint

We went  there every Tuesday and Thursday in 95 and 96.

There was a rumour that rustled and died on a 3-4 week cycle that the UDA would be kneecapping catholics if they wouldn't  stay away. 6 tins beforehand was always enough to reroute thoughts of going somewhere else but more expensive. Then inside once again you'd quickly realise that everyone in the place was catholic, was steaming, didn't give a f**k, and was wired up happy with double gin and Hooch for £3. That, and everyone seemed to wear grey. Always.

Stole a couple of pictures off the wall one night. The girl I was walking home was freaking out that I'd get me knees done for it. Still have one of the pictures to this day. I've no idea why.

Great times.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2021, 10:47:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2021, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 04, 2021, 05:50:56 PM
Quote from: TabClear on May 04, 2021, 04:37:57 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 04, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
You wouldn't have kept a Jack Russell in some of the kips on Wellesley Ave.

A Jack Russell would have been safer up those streets than down near Renshaws, bit too close to Kam Wah in botanic....

Dear god I forgot about the Kam Wah! Wee auld fella used to sit out the back and shout at everyone.
Place was stinking.

I was never a huge renshaws fan, but does anyone remember the Crescent on Sandy Row? Jeez it was some spot...2 quid in, drinks about 80p. Sawdust on the floor and and a very dodgy management.
The attic in laverys was class in the mid 90s too, a wee dingy nightclub.

Crescent UDA downstairs catholic students upstairs, I darken it's door once, being a local I was wise to the joint

We went  there every Tuesday and Thursday in 95 and 96.

There was a rumour that rustled and died on a 3-4 week cycle that the UDA would be kneecapping catholics if they wouldn't  stay away. 6 tins beforehand was always enough to reroute thoughts of going somewhere else but more expensive. Then inside once again you'd quickly realise that everyone in the place was catholic, was steaming, didn't give a f**k, and was wired up happy with double gin and Hooch for £3. That, and everyone seemed to wear grey. Always.

Stole a couple of pictures off the wall one night. The girl I was walking home was freaking out that I'd get me knees done for it. Still have one of the pictures to this day. I've no idea why.

Great times.
Before I started going with the now missus I was playing it cool in the upstairs bar (prob in '95 too) we bumped into her and her mates in the Crescent and managed to drop a can of Carling Black Label all over her shoes  :-[. Too much MD20:20 downstairs!

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 04, 2021, 10:24:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2021, 08:22:33 PM
Never did the Crescent, just didn't trust it. Would have been in Lavery's a lot mind you, Alex Higgins was a regular begging for pints there for a few stories. Was in the upstairs the night after the riots in Dublin at the Ireland England match. A few C18 boys with the spiders web tattoos on the head were pushing their way round the place. Got out quick smart!

Laverys was grand by local standard, the BOT back in the day, 88 was local regulars downstairs, few peelers solicitors and the south Belfast professionals while upstairs the students, where you there before the current building?

I had 1 year of the old Bot. Was never a big fan of it to be honest but would still have drunk in it regular as that's just what you did!
Think I was the same. One of the lads knew the bouncers so he was able to open the doors and we ran up the back stairs. I seem to recall the bar upstairs being in the middle with a wee dance floor. Good spot on a Wednesday night. The Fly was also a great spot on a Wed night. Maybe it's nostalgia but all the old spots seemed better before their renovations.

The bar was indeed in the middle, spent the night walking round it for a court  ;D

The feg smoke back then was rife and it with a low roof.. Bogging.

The Crescent was a shite hole on a thursday night and everyone knew it was a UDA hole, but the lure of cheap, out of date drink is too much for the culchie alco's.

GetOverTheBar

Laverys was an awful kip when I was there in the late 00s. I was surprised it turned about some years later to be the spot that it appears to be now.

Anyone mind the Egg? Shots of buckfast on Optic. Few potholes on the floor. Top quality establishment.

delgany

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 05, 2021, 09:27:19 AM

Laverys was an awful kip when I was there in the late 00s. I was surprised it turned about some years later to be the spot that it appears to be now.

Anyone mind the Egg? Shots of buckfast on Optic. Few potholes on the floor. Top quality establishment.

The Egg not as popular now ...used to queue to get in at a time

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: delgany on May 05, 2021, 10:53:32 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 05, 2021, 09:27:19 AM

The Egg not as popular now ...used to queue to get in at a time

Mate used to work behind the bar in the Egg, some messy nights in there.

I started in 99, Bot had the bars pushed out to the walls by then. Some nights had there but probably wasn't the best place to go to be fair, pints were bad. Remember watching a Celtic UEFA cup match upstairs in it thinking they'd let us stay. Made us all get out and queue to get back in for the night.

When we started you were nearly interviewed going to the Hatfield. Different spot back then.

brokencrossbar1

The Egg was a grand spot when I was there, 94-97. Was always a crew of GAA heads about it.  Would have lunches in it walking back to the Halls or across the road, think it was The Terrace....did a great Fajitas for 2 for a £10!

maddog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 05, 2021, 11:29:41 AM
The Egg was a grand spot when I was there, 94-97. Was always a crew of GAA heads about it.  Would have lunches in it walking back to the Halls or across the road, think it was The Terrace....did a great Fajitas for 2 for a £10!

Fajitas as a student. Posh fecker.

GetOverTheBar

Who could afford anything more than a cowboy supper....on a good day?

Shame on you.

quit yo jibbajabba

Crowd o rich basturts. Pizzas for a pound in the Empire 😎