Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Looks like the US pairings are fairly well set:

Spieth and Thomas
Schauffle and Cantlay
Shambo and Scheffler or English
Koepka and Finau or Berger
DJ and Morikawa

Europe team harder to predict at this stage, only out for 9 holes in the following groupings:

McIlroy, Garcia, Westwood, Poulter
Lowry, Rahm, Hatton, Fleetwood
Casey, Fitzpatrick, Wiesberger, Hovland

Be interesting to compare the groupings today with what happens on Friday. Wouldn't surprise me if Harrington goes the GAA way with dummy teams! 

Would love to see Shane and Rory together. Heard one journalist predicting they'll be together for 4balls but Rory will be with either Hovland or Garcia for 4some. Also said Garcia and Wiesberger a likely 4ball combo as they are good mates.

John Egans left boot

Has to go with points on the board early for me it's the strongest pairs out to break even after day 1

Rory/Shane
Westwood/casey
Fleetwood/poulter
Rahm/Garcia

Or open to change politer and Casey

Then possibility in the afternoon of victor and Hatton to see afternoon action

Lads I don't fancy Fitzpatrick at all tbh but if you look back to my previous posts I said 2/3 months ago the yanks were strong favourites with the stronger team

Rich Ricci

Quote from: John Egans left boot on September 23, 2021, 03:24:15 PM
Has to go with points on the board early for me it's the strongest pairs out to break even after day 1

Rory/Shane
Westwood/casey
Fleetwood/poulter
Rahm/Garcia

Lads I don't fancy Fitzpatrick at all tbh but if you look back to my previous posts I said 2/3 months ago the yanks were strong favourites with the stronger team

Surely if you are going for your strongest line up, you have to have Hovland in there, no matter who he's paired with?

Hound

Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 23, 2021, 03:28:49 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on September 23, 2021, 03:24:15 PM

Rory/Shane
Westwood/casey
Fleetwood/poulter
Rahm/Garcia

Surely if you are going for your strongest line up, you have to have Hovland in there, no matter who he's paired with?
I'd like to see Fleetwood and Hovland together as a potential new "Moliwood", although I haven't seen it touted.

Sky are showing some of the US preview shows and their "experts" predicted Rahm and Lowry as the opening foursome pairing for Europe.
Whereas Andrew Coltart hadn't got Shane in his foursome lineup on Friday at all.

Expected to be quite windy over the weekend and NBC said they did a big stats dive into how the 24 competitors coped with windy conditions in the last 3 years and the US lads were miles better. They said Rory and Shane were the only two Europeans who coped well with the wind.

I think Hatton, Fitzpatrick and Westwood are the weaknesses for Europe. Their qualification form is long gone. But maybe then can get it back for the weekend. But I would have those 3 and the Austrian sitting out the first morning.

John Egans left boot

Fair point rep victor can't really argue but see my comments below rep pairs

Lowry is a fine match player if you look at what he's won - one hell of a fighter - he's a diffo Friday player for me interesting suggestion rep him and rahm - my theory Lowry should be the only rookie Friday morning Rory will trust him - BTW I hope I am wrong but this course is not up Rory street IMO - so Rory and Shane to rub of each other

One think about Westwood he a fecking steady player as is Casey - maybe steady doesn't win you a point but damn hard to beat !!

From a golf perspective victor doesn't really suit anybody  in the team in terms of pairs - Fitzpatrick weak as his length of the tee will be huge in all but 3 holes

Loving the debate keep it coming

Gabriel_Hurl

Lowry has a career singles matchplay record of 6 wins, 13 losses and 3 ties.
He's won once since 2015.

Mikhail Prokhorov

if europe are serious about winning they have to send out rahm and mcilroy out together in the first group 2mw

i expect to yanks to complete the job fairly easy on sunday

Gabriel_Hurl

Rahm/Sergio vs JT/Speith
Casey/Hovland vs DJ/Morikawa
Westwood/Fitzpatrick vs Koepka/Berger
McIlroy/Poulter vs Cantlay/Xander

thebigfella

McIlroy and Poulter in foursomes was always gonna happen and Westwood/Fitzpatrick was odds on too.

John Egans left boot

Disappointed with the pairings to be honest, no fleetwood bad call !! hope I'm wrong,  let the fun and games commence.

Bord na Mona man

Westwood/Fitzpatrick is one of those pairings where any form of a result is a nice and slightly unexpected bonus.

An Watcher

Yeah surprised at that Westwood Fitzpatrick one myself.  Those two must just click moreso than Fleetwood.  I expect Lowry to be out this evening.  Not sure who with though, mcilroy or Fleetwood maybe

gerrykeegan

Westwood with a miserable effort at winning the first, not even close.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Bord na Mona man

Fourball is the better format for introducing rookies, so I can see why Lowry sits out this morning.

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)