Started by joemamas, July 20, 2023, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: whitey on July 26, 2023, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2023, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 26, 2023, 02:25:21 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 26, 2023, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2023, 10:52:02 AM
You got to love the complete lack of self awareness of yanks...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/us-embassy-warns-citizens-to-keep-a-low-profile-on-dublin-streets-as-leo-varadkar-admits-garda-recruitment-target-is-very-hard/a1910479577.html

Maybe we should warn out citizens of the dangers of even going to school in the USA.

It's embarrassing either way. For the Americans to be worried about safety somewhere else but also for the Irish that Dublin is now being recognised Internationally as a dangerous city.

I don't know what prompted the "alert" but I would imagine the embassy was inundated with calls from people with trips planned asking if it was safe to travel

I wouldn't look too much into it TBH

The State Dept issue all types of advisories all the time about all types of issues

They would be better off warning Americans visiting other countries about the dangers of returning home and maybe they should seek asylum in European countries for their own safety.

I supposed it depends where you live.

There have been more murders in the town I grew up in Ireland than the town I live in Stateside, and the chances of getting assaulted randomly on the street for no reason are about one hundred fold greater

Dublin will turn into one of those American cities, Philadelphia, Chicago, SF, NYC, take your pick. Hopefully this is a turning point for Dublin and the authorities can clean the shithole up.

J70

You're all a wee bit sensitive lads.

Would you not tell anyone going to London or NYC or Rome to keep their wits about them and be careful with their valuables and where they go, especially at night?

Dublin has been like that for decades. You are all saying the same bloody thing, giving out like f**k,  but god forbid a foreign government tell their citizens to do likewise!

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2023, 03:40:19 PM

Would you not tell anyone going to London or NYC or Rome to keep their wits about them and be careful with their valuables and where they go, especially at night?

Dublin has been like that for decades. You are all saying the same bloody thing, giving out like f**k,  but god forbid a foreign government tell their citizens to do likewise!

No it's not that, it's cos it's f**king America with the worst crime rate and murder rate in the western world earning their citizens about Dublin. Clowns. Are they averaging a school shooting once a week over there these days.

I know Dublin is a kip by our European standards but it's nowhere near the complete kip of most American cities in terms of violence.

J70

Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2023, 06:21:33 PM

No it's not that, it's cos it's f**king America with the worst crime rate and murder rate in the western world earning their citizens about Dublin. Clowns. Are they averaging a school shooting once a week over there these days.

I know Dublin is a kip by our European standards but it's nowhere near the complete kip of most American cities in terms of violence.

Gun violence, sure.

What about robbery? Muggings? Pick pocketing? Getting your head kicked in for turning down the wrong street?

Am I more in danger going about my daily life in New York City than I would be living in Dublin?

How do tourists do in the big US tourist cities compared to somewhere like Dublin?

I'm sure there are stats...

restorepride

Many cities are experiencing an increase in violence - the most accepted explanation is the increase in use of illegal drugs. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66167634

Captain Scarlet

To be honest this is the only thing that will make FG take real action.
There's so much going on and as I said before you have to categorise it. The lads away with the fairies are not going around attacking people, but they will be moved on.
It's fellas and young ones 14-17 roaming for trouble.

PS Could the US Ambassador tell people potentially moving here about the state of housing and mad rents?!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rudi

I'm sickened by this incident of violence in more ways than one. Apart from a man left fighting for his life (probably losing an eye) after a needless attack, motivated by pure thuggery.

This kind of event is happening all over the country, but it takes a tourist to get the media & government to get into a mass frenzy. If this happened to Jimmy from Swinford on a night out in Ballina, very little would be heard about it in national circles. Yet an all media & government narratives talk about equality, some people are clearly more important than others. God for bid the Irish are shown to the world for the inbred f&ckwits we are.

Then there is McEntee, a useless excuse for a minister. More concerned about minority transgenderism than more important issues like ordinary decent folk getting their brains bashed in for no reason. No reform of the judicial system, instead some hate speech bill, which will only divide society further.

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2023, 07:33:58 PM

Gun violence, sure.

What about robbery? Muggings? Pick pocketing? Getting your head kicked in for turning down the wrong street?

Am I more in danger going about my daily life in New York City than I would be living in Dublin?

How do tourists do in the big US tourist cities compared to somewhere like Dublin?

I would say yes you are but if you have stats to say otherwise I am happy to be corrected. These are from the New York Police Dept for the last "week"

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cs-en-us-city.pdf

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2023, 08:41:31 AM

Gun violence, sure.

I would say yes you are but if you have stats to say otherwise I am happy to be corrected. These are from the New York Police Dept for the last "week"

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cs-en-us-city.pdf

In terms of population to Dublin how would that be broken down?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2023, 08:46:23 AM

Gun violence, sure.

It doesnt look like you can easily get stats on "Dublin Only" but in Rep Ireland in 2022 there were 69 murders in a population of 5m (13.8 murders per million) in New York 438 murders for population of 8.4m (52 murders per million). Thats a flavour of things I would.

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2023, 08:54:58 AM

Gun violence, sure.

It doesnt look like you can easily get stats on "Dublin Only" but in Rep Ireland in 2022 there were 69 murders in a population of 5m (13.8 murders per million) in New York 438 murders for population of 8.4m (52 murders per million). Thats a flavour of things I would.

USA is definitely more dangerous but that shouldn't mean we accept a certain level of violence in Ireland. Dublin is a shithole and it needs a multi agency approach to clean it up. 

Milltown Row2

I can remember, wow nearly 30 years ago when me and her were heading down for the weekend, staying in the cheapest hotels around Gardiner street, it was poor then and even along the streets there were lads shooting up, needles lying around the gutter, but there was defo a drive I can remember a few years later and the city streets were really cleaned up and we really noticed a difference about the place, I was never aware or felt unsafe.

But in recent years and like Belfast during covid the animals came out and have not been put back in their cages, they are just loco and not enough patrols to move them on, shoplifting is through the roof in places and stopping people from going into town to shop
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2023, 08:54:58 AM

Gun violence, sure.

I get the murder rate with the prevalence of guns and the gang violence which accounts for much of that.

But we're talking about average people and tourists here and people getting their knickers in a twist because the US government had the audacity to tell their citizens to be careful if they visit Dublin.

Is the risk of assault, robbery and so on higher for people going about everyday life or visiting as tourists in NYC or in Dublin?

gallsman

Hilarious that lads who open the thread bemoaning the state Dublin is in with all its issues to then take issue with a foreign government warning their own citizens about the associated risks of such issues.

As for the "shouldn't they get their own house in order" brigade, it's basically this:

Itchy

Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2023, 12:17:46 PM
Hilarious that lads who open the thread bemoaning the state Dublin is in with all its issues to then take issue with a foreign government warning their own citizens about the associated risks of such issues.

As for the "shouldn't they get their own house in order" brigade, it's basically this:

Ironic that you could attribute that graphic to your own post