US tourist (50s) fighting for life after ‘unprovoked’ gang attack in Dublin:

Started by joemamas, July 20, 2023, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Just had a quick scan online there. Jurys Inn hotels in Dublin coming in at £600+ for a double for this Fri and Sat . London has plenty of similar or 4* hotels in or around the £300 / £350 mark.
Have a family member who spent the 4 years in Dublin before relocating to London about a year ago, they couldn't get over how much better value everything was in London, accommodation, travel, earing out, beer etc...

All sporting and concerts in the capital, we drive down and straight home after. I don't actually know anyone who's booked a hotel in Dublin in the last year or 2

clarshack

Quote from: thebigfella on July 20, 2023, 06:56:05 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2023, 04:34:05 PM
Hard to love Dublin. Everything costs a fortune. O'Connell street is a no go area. Lots of undesirables. Wee bit like NYC and Times Square in the 80s & 90s. Does Dublin have a Mayor? What is his or her role and responsibilities? Hard to eradicate crime but tourist spots should be free of litter, piss and crime.

Pure hyperbole

It really isn't.

clarshack

Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 07:50:00 PM
Just had a quick scan online there. Jurys Inn hotels in Dublin coming in at £600+ for a double for this Fri and Sat . London has plenty of similar or 4* hotels in or around the £300 / £350 mark.
Have a family member who spent the 4 years in Dublin before relocating to London about a year ago, they couldn't get over how much better value everything was in London, accommodation, travel, earing out, beer etc...

All sporting and concerts in the capital, we drive down and straight home after. I don't actually know anyone who's booked a hotel in Dublin in the last year or 2

At least in London too you can go to any amount of Premier League games.
What has Dublin got to offer?

Even going to a game in Croke Park and staying over is more expensive than going to Glasgow and staying over for a Celtic game.

The hurling teams aren't even staying in Dublin for the final this weekend.

snoopdog

I've lived in Dublin since the mid 90s. O connell street and all those off it are shitholes. I'd steer clear of that area. It's always been that way. I can't understand why tourists come to Dublin it's just another bland city. With the same shops as anyother. The guinness brewery tour is dreadful.

Captain Scarlet

Just coming home after a few quiet ones and Gardaí patrolling D1 like mad.

But f**k me. Talbot St is a daytime shooting gallery. Young lads are running around trying to fight people.
But that's all OK until a tourist is attacked.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

whitey

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 20, 2023, 10:36:24 PM
Just coming home after a few quiet ones and Gardaí patrolling D1 like mad.

But f**k me. Talbot St is a daytime shooting gallery. Young lads are running around trying to fight people.
But that's all OK until a tourist is attacked.

If Tourism is your biggest industry.......

BrotherMore6592

I lived in Dublin for 4 years until recently  and still be down every week for work

The majority of the city centre smells like piss or other repugnant smell

Walking from Connolly to the quays is actually the worst I've ever seen for human / dog faeces , I took a video one day it's EVERYWHERE. Shite all over the streets. DCC get away with murder

Dublin isn't friendly at all either. The rest of Ireland generally is friendly and lives up to our reputation.

Gold

Worked there 4 yrs, lived off Portland Row, D1

Can't tell ya the amount of stories I have. Walking to work 1 day up Eean McDermott Street towards O connell Street (runs up the side of the Gresham and walked upon a man lying holding his recently stabbed stomach (at 730am). Called an ambulance and the Guards.....no idea if he lived, I highly doubt it.

Hated sunny days as it brought more heroin addicts out on the street, shooting up on doorsteps etc.

I could go on but can't be bothered

Castle Street in Belfast not much better, if at all,  ashithole. Its only a matter of time before a tourist/worker/shopper is stabbed to death by some junkie there
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

From the Bunker

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 20, 2023, 11:32:47 PM
Quote from: Gold on July 20, 2023, 11:16:36 PM
Worked there 4 yrs, lived off Portland Row, D1

Can't tell ya the amount of stories I have. Walking to work 1 day up Eean McDermott Street towards O connell Street (runs up the side of the Gresham and walked upon a man lying holding his recently stabbed stomach (at 730am). Called an ambulance and the Guards.....no idea if he lived, I highly doubt it.

Hated sunny days as it brought more heroin addicts out on the street, shooting up on doorsteps etc.

I could go on but can't be bothered

Castle Street in Belfast not much better, if at all,  ashithole. Its only a matter of time before a tourist/worker/shopper is stabbed to death by some junkie there
Keats and Yeats are on your side.

While Wilde is on mine

screenexile

Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 07:50:00 PM

Staying in Jurys in for £250 for a double room on Saturday and booked 3 weeks ago so it's not just as bad as above.

Stayed in Manchester last week in the Marriot a family room (Thursday night to be fair) cost £110 for the night for 4 of us!

That's true enough about O'Connell St and the Quays. I wouldn't say a no go zone but you wouldn't want to be there too late in the evening.

Jell 0 Biafra

Just wondering why 'unprovoked' is in quotation marks in the thread title? Is there some doubt about what happened?

RedHand88

Few years ago I parked the car in a side street off Henry Street one evening after work. I happened to be wearing a blue shirt and tie that day. Got out of the car and started walking up the street where two lads were shooting up. They saw the blue shirt and ran, obviously assuming I was Gardai. Obviously they didn't realise it was a northern reg car.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2023, 06:39:00 AM
Few years ago I parked the car in a side street off Henry Street one evening after work. I happened to be wearing a blue shirt and tie that day. Got out of the car and started walking up the street where two lads were shooting up. They saw the blue shirt and ran, obviously assuming I was Gardai. Obviously they didn't realise it was a northern reg car.

Didn't have you down as a 'blue shirt'
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2023, 07:09:47 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2023, 06:39:00 AM

Didn't have you down as a 'blue shirt'

Too easy!

trailer

Quote from: thebigfella on July 20, 2023, 06:56:05 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2023, 04:34:05 PM
Hard to love Dublin. Everything costs a fortune. O'Connell street is a no go area. Lots of undesirables. Wee bit like NYC and Times Square in the 80s & 90s. Does Dublin have a Mayor? What is his or her role and responsibilities? Hard to eradicate crime but tourist spots should be free of litter, piss and crime.

Pure hyperbole

Absolutely not. The last time I walked down it we were staying in The Gresham with the kids and some friends from America. Homeless, Drug addicts, stench of piss, litter strewn everywhere and the line at the GPO for I assume food parcels. It was early evening 5pm or so and we felt genuinely unsafe.