Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 26, 2016, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 03:05:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: ck on January 25, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
Scholarships are and continue to be a form of buying success. Mainly by DCU it has to be said.
Whilst the average GAA supporter hasn't got the first clue or even care who won Sigerson or who plays for who, the younger generation will know and they are the colleges target market, so it becomes a form of marketing.. by DCU. I used to work for an IT and I can tell you that the likes of DCU struggle for applications when compared to UCD, Trinity, UCC so this is their marketing tool. It puts them on the map, where their academic standing can't.

Sigerson is a terrific competition but its appeal and credibility is dwindling every year.

The Ulster colleges are far more agregious than DCU who generally bring in players in first year play them up through the freshers competitions and then onto Sigerson, not players on one year add-ons like UUJ is so fond of.

You mean students studying for a Masters? Heaven forbid UUJ offering quality masters program.

Such quality that All-a star calibur players are getting scholarships in another jurisdiction each year is it? People complain about DCU but for the last near half a decade they've built from the bottom up. UUJ have tried and failed to buy Sigersons.

So UUJ don't have freshers, 2nd 3rd teams anymore??? And all the scholarships that UUJ give to the hurling, camogie and ladies football team are all part of the sinister way to buy Sigersons!!!! UUJGAA community should be commended on the program they are delivering, ensure all aspects of the club are in scope.

Buying Sigersons is a urban myth.

Qualification for scholarships is based on entry requirements and a minimum sporting level (county), so they are set up to attract quality county players. Why... because UUJ sports department has set up a serious sports research program and the elite player scholarship is central to the program. (Note, the program is for all sports, not just GAA, even though the GAA club were the innovators)

"getting scholarships in another jurisdiction" you mean, for example, having a technical or scientific undergrad and getting a MBA, precisely the multi functional background these programs want. Or PGCE - teaching certs,  which is the route to qualify as a teacher, for someone who didn't attend a teaching college and had a degree in a different jurisdiction......

On the academic side, UUJGaa has no influence over who can qualify to get into a degree, they need to have the exam results / qualifications to get in (managed by UUJ office).  UUJGAA can only influence who gets the sports scholarship, once the UUJ office say they qualify.

A ROI resident going to a UK college will be giving up a lot of SUSI-related grant money. The fact these players go to UUJ tells you they're getting a remarkable amount of scholarship money.

ck

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 03:06:56 PM
Quote from: ck on January 25, 2016, 11:01:42 PM
Syferus I think the issue you were referring to was where IT Sligo was accused by Queen's of having an illegal player. It turned out he was illegal and the Sligo lads genuinely where not aware of it. (He was SU president) Ignorance is no excuse I know. Hardly a comparison to the antics of UUJ who flaunt the rules year after year though.
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Please supply evidence of year on year flaunting of rules please

Evidence? MMmm ok. Is Niall Madine a full time student at UUJ? Or is he a full time student at South West College in Newry.

Kickham csc

Quote from: ck on January 26, 2016, 05:20:14 PM
Syferus I think the issue you were referring to was where IT Sligo was accused by Queen's of having an illegal player. It turned out he was illegal and the Sligo lads genuinely where not aware of it. (He was SU president) Ignorance is no excuse I know. Hardly a comparison to the antics of UUJ who flaunt the rules year after year though.
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Evidence? MMmm ok. Is Niall Madine a full time student at UUJ? Or is he a full time student at South West College in Newry.

Evidence???  What course is he doing?  Is he doing a technical course run by the college, or is it a UUJ course being held in SWC? Has he been registered and has the registration been approved by central colleges? Any ideas other than mud.

Captain Obvious

Two point win for Queens. A stroll for NUIG and DCU in their matches tonight.

Any craic

ck

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 06:39:36 PM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Evidence???  What course is he doing?  Is he doing a technical course run by the college, or is it a UUJ course being held in SWC? Has he been registered and has the registration been approved by central colleges? Any ideas other than mud.

No mud, just fact.
I'm hearing from croke park that he's one of many UUJ illegals in this years crop.

ck

ITS very unlucky today against Carlow IT. Excellent freshers team at ITS this year I'm hearing so the future is bright.

oakleafgael

Quote from: ck on January 26, 2016, 10:38:43 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2016, 06:39:36 PM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

No mud, just fact.
I'm hearing from croke park that he's one of many UUJ illegals in this years crop.

To be fair CK you haven't said anything is a fact, you poised a question, maybe a rhetorical one but if you are so sure of who is legal and illegal then name them outright. Shit or get off the pot.

take_yer_points

[/b]

New year same BS from ck

What's the story with multi campus universities? UU only have one team that presumably train at Jordanstown. Coleraine, Magee and Belfast don't have a team. Are students on those campuses eligible to represent the university? Or can a university enter multiple teams (for each campus) if they've enough players on each campus?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 27, 2016, 09:24:01 AM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

What's the story with multi campus universities? UU only have one team that presumably train at Jordanstown. Coleraine, Magee and Belfast don't have a team. Are students on those campuses eligible to represent the university? Or can a university enter multiple teams (for each campus) if they've enough players on each campus?

Do Magee and Coleraine not play in lower grade University competitions. Apologies if it has been discussed before but whats the story when Jordanstown moves most of its students into Belfast? Do Jordanstown and Belfast amalgamate? Not that I'm aware of too many GAA players in the former art college.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 27, 2016, 09:31:14 AM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Do Magee and Coleraine not play in lower grade University competitions. Apologies if it has been discussed before but whats the story when Jordanstown moves most of its students into Belfast? Do Jordanstown and Belfast amalgamate? Not that I'm aware of too many GAA players in the former art college.

I've no idea about Magee and Coleraine. Did they ever play Sigerson?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 27, 2016, 09:49:14 AM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Nah I'd be shocked if they ever did. Both very small campuses. Trench Cup at the most I'd imagine. I dont think you'd ever have Coleraine/Magee players togging out for UUJ. Plenty of county lads have went to both and never played Sigerson.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 27, 2016, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on January 27, 2016, 09:49:14 AM
[/b]

New year same BS from ck

Nah I'd be shocked if they ever did. Both very small campuses. Trench Cup at the most I'd imagine. I dont think you'd ever have Coleraine/Magee players togging out for UUJ. Plenty of county lads have went to both and never played Sigerson.

Don't know about now, but Magee played in D3 and Coleraine in D2. Coleraine actually beat UUJ in 97 in the Sigerson QF.

Tara Na Rí

Deserved win for Queens on the night by the sounds of it but Maynooth seem to have under performed once again. Marty Clarke played very well apparently which is good to hear.
Meath Are Magic

oakleaflad

Who are the high profile players playing for each of the universities this year?