Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

So colleges are holding players hostage with regard to scholarships just because of Sigerson? That's even more nuts. This is not the NCAA. These lads are not bringing in a pile of money to the colleges. I thought the grants were a deal done by the GAA/GPA and the colleges to help county players. I didn't realise it was a transfer fee to DCU or wherever.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 02:26:09 PM
So colleges are holding players hostage with regard to scholarships just because of Sigerson? That's even more nuts. This is not the NCAA. These lads are not bringing in a pile of money to the colleges. I thought the grants were a deal done by the GAA/GPA and the colleges to help county players. I didn't realise it was a transfer fee to DCU or wherever.

They're not holding anyone hostage. But if you think a young lad in Roscommon would be able to attend DCU or UCD without incurring major costs then you're dead wrong. Given the amount of time those same lads put into travelling back to training, training itself and college a decent paying part-time job isn't always feasible. Maybe that lad has to settle for their second option only because of the time they have to put into GAA.

The scholarship money is important but no one is being held hostage. Sigerson should be the best players at a college, the idea of non-county only is total nonsense, frankly.

AZOffaly

In your opinion. Despite what you seem to think, your opinion is not necessarily 100% correct.  My point is not that the colleges, or indeed the GPA, should not contribute to scholarships. I think scholarships are great. What I am objecting to is the notion that those scholarships only exist because the player will play Sigerson. It's nuts. It's not a revenue generator for the college, so why make the grants dependant on that? So they should continue their grant system, in conjunction with the GAA, and not because of a competition that merely serves as yet another distraction for our most busy age group.

And f**k Cam Newton too :)

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 02:58:36 PM
In your opinion. Despite what you seem to think, your opinion is not necessarily 100% correct.  My point is not that the colleges, or indeed the GPA, should not contribute to scholarships. I think scholarships are great. What I am objecting to is the notion that those scholarships only exist because the player will play Sigerson. It's nuts. It's not a revenue generator for the college, so why make the grants dependant on that? So they should continue their grant system, in conjunction with the GAA, and not because of a competition that merely serves as yet another distraction for our most busy age group.

And f**k Cam Newton too :)

Do you think the colleges would be offering many scholarships to swimmers or soccer players if the only ones they could give them to were second tier swimmers or junior league soccer players? Colleges give a high percentage of their sports scholarships to athletes that can bring prestige to the college. That's life.

AZOffaly

Prestige to the college :) I don't know about you, but I couldn't name the Sigerson winners from 2013. Actually 2014 either :)

I'm not against the grants per se, but I certainly think any GPA bursary should not be contingent on the player playing Sigerson.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 02:34:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 02:26:09 PM

They're not holding anyone hostage. But if you think a young lad in Roscommon would be able to attend DCU or UCD without incurring major costs then you're dead wrong. Given the amount of time those same lads put into travelling back to training, training itself and college a decent paying part-time job isn't always feasible. Maybe that lad has to settle for their second option only because of the time they have to put into GAA.

The scholarship money is important but no one is being held hostage. Sigerson should be the best players at a college, the idea of non-county only is total nonsense, frankly.

So young lads from Roscommon can't afford to go to university in Dublin if they don't get grants for playing football?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 03:15:55 PM
Prestige to the college :) I don't know about you, but I couldn't name the Sigerson winners from 2013. Actually 2014 either :)

I'm not against the grants per se, but I certainly think any GPA bursary should not be contingent on the player playing Sigerson.

If you saw the amount of photo ops colleges rope their star athletes into you wouldn't smile. Every admin wants to look good and getting to piggyback on the name recognition of athletes is a very handy way of doing that.

AZOffaly

I don't doubt it. I'm questioning whether that really raises their prestige.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 04:12:13 PM
I don't doubt it. I'm questioning whether that really raises their prestige.

It's more about what the college thinks than the actuality of it. Same reason colleges roll out the red carpet whenever the Minster for Useless Public Works appears. I know for a fact Sigerson Cups are a big deal when it comes to prospectus' and the like.

ck

Scholarships are and continue to be a form of buying success. Mainly by DCU it has to be said.
Whilst the average GAA supporter hasn't got the first clue or even care who won Sigerson or who plays for who, the younger generation will know and they are the colleges target market, so it becomes a form of marketing.. by DCU. I used to work for an IT and I can tell you that the likes of DCU struggle for applications when compared to UCD, Trinity, UCC so this is their marketing tool. It puts them on the map, where their academic standing can't.

Sigerson is a terrific competition but its appeal and credibility is dwindling every year.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on January 25, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
Scholarships are and continue to be a form of buying success. Mainly by DCU it has to be said.
Whilst the average GAA supporter hasn't got the first clue or even care who won Sigerson or who plays for who, the younger generation will know and they are the colleges target market, so it becomes a form of marketing.. by DCU. I used to work for an IT and I can tell you that the likes of DCU struggle for applications when compared to UCD, Trinity, UCC so this is their marketing tool. It puts them on the map, where their academic standing can't.

Sigerson is a terrific competition but its appeal and credibility is dwindling every year.

The Ulster colleges are far more agregious than DCU who generally bring in players in first year play them up through the freshers competitions and then onto Sigerson, not players on one year add-ons like UUJ is so fond of.

ck

UUJ are beyond a joke. I wouldn't even include them in the same breath at UCD, Trinity et al.
I hear this year they have stooped to new lows, they have lads playing who are full time at other smaller colleges who don't have teams. They should be thrown out if it's true.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 09:53:08 PM

The Ulster colleges are far more agregious than DCU who generally bring in players in first year play them up through the freshers competitions and then onto Sigerson, not players on one year add-ons like UUJ is so fond of.

There are three entrants from Ulster in the Sigerson, UU have always had allegations thrown around about their "recruitment policies". Are you just throwing mud at Queens and St Mary's and hoping it sticks?

DCU and UU are sows of the one litter.

Syferus

Quote from: oakleafgael on January 25, 2016, 10:27:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2016, 09:53:08 PM

There are three entrants from Ulster in the Sigerson, UU have always had allegations thrown around about their "recruitment policies". Are you just throwing mud at Queens and St Mary's and hoping it sticks?

DCU and UU are sows of the one litter.

QUB have had their share in recent years. Last year's comical sour grapes with ITS after they were fairly beaten highlighted their questionable use of players. St. Mary's I have little clue of and was referring to UUJ and QUB in particular.

ck

Syferus I think the issue you were referring to was where IT Sligo was accused by Queen's of having an illegal player. It turned out he was illegal and the Sligo lads genuinely where not aware of it. (He was SU president) Ignorance is no excuse I know. Hardly a comparison to the antics of UUJ who flaunt the rules year after year though.