GAA Discussion Paper

Started by shawshank, November 03, 2015, 01:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Bring back the ban AZ!!

I know what you're saying about an offseason but I think that's partly included in the framework I had. For example, county finals could be concluded by mid May and even if going into the last week of May that would only be two clubs per county with most finished by the end of April. Likewise October would only be for the final four counties in each competition so most IC players would have October off. To be fair, it's easy enough to put up something like what me or 6th Sam did but an altogether more challenging task to put the meat on it. However, reducing the number of teams a small number of elite players play on and creating blocks of IC weeks would be a major step forward IMO.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2015, 03:28:01 PM
That's hard to do Canalman. Most of the lads on that panel would be training all year with the club team, and playing league games in the muck and shite. They may not get near a game in a championship final, but you'd be hard hearted to deny them their day in the sun.

I dunno about that AZ, if you're not getting near a game I'd rather be comfortable up in the stand. It's not like you need 30 for a full on warm up match beforehand.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Maybe that's just you. I know lads that come down to training a week before a county final to tog out and see if there's any free gear going 😀

6th sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2015, 01:33:20 PM
I'm talking about club here, not county. I don't see how you can't allow a player play club matches in both codes, that would basically kill one code or the other in different clubs. So it is a major challenge. I'm wondering how these proposals would affect the club dual player.

I'm willing to accept that at county level, particularly U21 and Senior, you can't play county dual anymore. It's just not feasible.

Fixtures in all counties where both codes are played , and there are possible dual players( most counties) must always take that into account in fixtures eg football games could be on a Friday and hurling on a Sunday . Alternate weeks is another option but again it creates a problem of the majority of players not playing every week

From the Bunker

Has there ever been a player caught up in the one year with all of the following ?

And most of these teams were at the business end of their relevant competitions.

Senior (Intermediate, Junior) club team.
County team.
under 21 club team.
Under 21 inter county.
Sigerson
Railway Cup
International Rules

muppet

Michael Murphy must have been close.

MWWSI 2017

shark

Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2015, 08:12:11 PM

Could be wrong but I don't think he was on the DCU panel that won Sigerson in 2010 (he may have been a fresher that year). That was his last year u21 (Donegal lost final to Dublin). Plus I don't think Donegal's senior championship dragged on too long that year either.

There may be someone, but it shows that the number of guys getting absolutely flogged is relatively small.

muppet

Quote from: shark on November 04, 2015, 08:31:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2015, 08:12:11 PM

Could be wrong but I don't think he was on the DCU panel that won Sigerson in 2010 (he may have been a fresher that year). That was his last year u21 (Donegal lost final to Dublin). Plus I don't think Donegal's senior championship dragged on too long that year either.

There may be someone, but it shows that the number of guys getting absolutely flogged is relatively small.

Aidan Walsh probably has played more, given he was a dual U-21 player, but did he ever win a Sigerson or Fitzgibbon?
MWWSI 2017

smelmoth

Quote from: shawshank on November 03, 2015, 01:31:43 PM
7. Establish in rule that players, who are not in the match-day panel of 26 must be available to their clubs on the weekends of intercounty games.

Fantastic suggestion, but without seriously policing and serious penalties for breach then worthless.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: smelmoth on November 04, 2015, 08:52:17 PM
7. Establish in rule that players, who are not in the match-day panel of 26 must be available to their clubs on the weekends of intercounty games.

Fantastic suggestion, but without seriously policing and serious penalties for breach then worthless.

Best suggestion of the lot in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

smelmoth

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 04, 2015, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 04, 2015, 08:52:17 PM

Best suggestion of the lot in my opinion.

Agree - as long as it isn't too easy to get around

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Maybe that's just you. I know lads that come down to training a week before a county final to tog out and see if there's any free gear going 😀

There are those lads as well. Another reason to limit it to 24 on match day.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Anyone that can't make the 24 should be playing with the B team anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2015, 11:08:48 AM
Anyone that can't make the 24 should be playing with the B team anyway.

Easy to say that come the final. But in a league game in July when the county lads are away, those lads are on the team in a lot of cases.

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 04, 2015, 07:58:41 PM
Has there ever been a player caught up in the one year with all of the following ?

And most of these teams were at the business end of their relevant competitions.

Senior (Intermediate, Junior) club team.
County team.
under 21 club team.
Under 21 inter county.
Sigerson
Railway Cup
International Rules
Coulter?