Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2015, 11:46:47 PM
Have they always called it the golden boot?
If it's called the Golden Boot, any scores which were not scored with the boot should be taken away. That would rule out O'Connor's shinner goal against Dublin, thus giving the award to Quigley.

Perhaps a separate "Golden Shin" award could be set up for scores obtained by use of the shin, and a separate "Golden Fist" award set up for those horrible handpassed points.

imtommygunn

Would Quigley not lose his goal for barging Cluxton over the line too if that were the case ;-)

rodney trotter

Quigley might have won it comfortably if he was more with clinical the frees. He missed a few bad ones against Monaghan, Westmeath.  He was suppose to have been poor in the first half against Roscommon too.

nrico2006

Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2015, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2015, 11:12:29 AM
Cillian O'Connor deserves the award for the simple reason that he scored more than anyone else. Quigley scored his total in 6 games, whereas O'Connor only had 5 games...However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Quigley had a great year.

I disagree.  This award simply rewards the person who ends up scoring the most frees.
So.... They all count in a game.
How many teams lose games bemoaning the lack of a decent 9 out of 10 freetaker?

Not taking away the role of a free taker, I take them myself, but if somebody asks me what did I score in any given game I am reluctant to count the frees.  You are measured by what you score from play.  Maybe they should have an award for best free taker and one for top scorer from play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2015, 11:54:15 AM
Cillian O'Connor deserves the award for the simple reason that he scored more than anyone else. Quigley scored his total in 6 games, whereas O'Connor only had 5 games...However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Quigley had a great year.

I disagree.  This award simply rewards the person who ends up scoring the most frees.

Not taking away the role of a free taker, I take them myself, but if somebody asks me what did I score in any given game I am reluctant to count the frees.  You are measured by what you score from play.  Maybe they should have an award for best free taker and one for top scorer from play.

Bullshit, you need someone to take the pressure frees, the difficult frees, as well as the easy 13m in front of the posts. I used take frees, and I'd always say I scored x, y from play.

rosnarun

miss your free and people wont be slow to remind you of how many you had ,

for another thread but who would have won recent allIreland if free did not count,
eg Cluxtons last min free v kerry
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebuzz

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2015, 11:59:09 AM

Bullshit, you need someone to take the pressure frees, the difficult frees, as well as the easy 13m in front of the posts. I used take frees, and I'd always say I scored x, y from play.

At our quarter final club game against Slaughtneil I'd say more wides were kicked from frees by both teams than were kicked wide from play and none of them were high pressure kicks in the slightest.

A 9/10 free kicker is one of the most important players on the pitch in my opinion.

tonto1888

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2015, 11:47:27 PM

There is either an award for top scorer or not.

The criterion is simple. Who scores most in championship wins the award. That is the only consideration.  All scores are weighted equally. No use bleating about it, that is the way it is. The award does not take into account scores from play being more worthy or the quality of the opposition. Good luck to anybody trying to work on a realistic system for that. Like were scores v Kildare in Cork match more worthy than scores in Kildare v Kerry when Kildare imploded. Like how does one even go about appraising the quality of a team in the first place and then reviewing that from game to game?   

The award is what it is and doesn t mean that COC is 'better' than Quigley, Brogan etc. He happened to score more. So what?

Fair play to Cillian. Some of those frees were class and he stuck 2 fine goals from play I remember and a cool pressure penalty as well.

Look, I doubt any of us are doing backflips over this. The award is what it is though.

It used he be the case in football, dunno if it is anymore, with regards to European golden boot that goals scored in certain leagues were weighted now or less than others. Eg in Scotland a goal was worth one point but 1.5 in england

Hardy

Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2015, 11:32:55 AMIf it's called the Golden Boot, any scores which were not scored with the boot should be taken away. That would rule out O'Connor's shinner goal against Dublin, thus giving the award to Quigley.

Perhaps a separate "Golden Shin" award could be set up for scores obtained by use of the shin

Ah, I see!
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26276.0

redhandroar

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 25, 2015, 11:40:07 AM
Would Quigley not lose his goal for barging Cluxton over the line too if that were the case ;-)

Actually this was officially given as an OG to Cluxton although some newpaper reports credited Quigley. If he had been given this one he would have ended up with 3-36 and won, hard to argue though given that he didn't actually touch the ball. In interviews after he said he wasn't sure what happened but he thinks Cluxton must have somehow stumbled - a response like that just adds to his likeability imo!

heffo

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 12:58:05 PM
Marquee forward

He scored 2-15 against you this year.

Fairly shite alright.
MWWSI 2017

giveballaghback

There is a lot of golden boots flying in Mayo this weather.

macdanger2

Did Cillian's two points yesterday make him the top scorer of all time in the championship?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 30, 2019, 07:39:59 PM
Did Cillian's two points yesterday make him the top scorer of all time in the championship?

No...still 9 points short.