List of things that Tyrone have never done

Started by Darby, August 08, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

I agree that a lot of county's are at it at senior level including my own which I have seen on several occasions.

The minor thing I find hard to accept.
That should not be tolerated at that level IMO
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

longballin

Quote from: WT4E on November 06, 2015, 10:01:58 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on November 06, 2015, 09:12:03 AM
Irish News has reported on the Ulster Council report. It has found that while sledging did occur, it was not about the death of a player's father.

Looks to me like Teamtalk's version of events has been vindicated and Donegal's claim that the Teamtalk statement was factually incorrect, was itself factually incorrect.

I wonder will Declan Bonner man up and apologise.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teamtalk far from vindicated in all this.

WT4E

Quote from: FermGael on November 06, 2015, 11:02:25 AM
I agree that a lot of county's are at it at senior level including my own which I have seen on several occasions.

The minor thing I find hard to accept.
That should not be tolerated at that level IMO

What minor thing are you on about?

FermGael

The sledging that took place in the minor match between Tyrone and Donegal.

WT4E

Quote from: longballin on November 06, 2015, 11:20:19 AM
Quote from: WT4E on November 06, 2015, 10:01:58 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on November 06, 2015, 09:12:03 AM
Irish News has reported on the Ulster Council report. It has found that while sledging did occur, it was not about the death of a player's father.

Looks to me like Teamtalk's version of events has been vindicated and Donegal's claim that the Teamtalk statement was factually incorrect, was itself factually incorrect.

I wonder will Declan Bonner man up and apologise.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teamtalk far from vindicated in all this.

I agree TT aren't vindicated but I'm just happy that it has been proved on here a lot of peole were making assumptions that Tyrone were guilty of something when they hadn't seen the report.

WT4E

Quote from: FermGael on November 06, 2015, 11:30:45 AM

What do you find hard to accept??? You seem to have accepted your own counties sledging but can't accept Tyrone minors which the only thing we know about the sledging is the fact that the accusation made about the comments is wrong.

redhandefender

What sledging thing? About the lads father? Did you not read above it did not happen.

Or the fact that some minor footballers talk crap to each other on the pitch? It happens catch a grip.

Rugby soccer are miked up the eyeballs these days so players know they wouldn't get away with it. At amteur level it happens every weekend on the soccer pitch, far worse than anything I have experienced on a gaelic pitch. I play Fermanagh and western so plenty of your county men involved in it

FermGael

At senior level Yes.

At minor level I have not witnessed it

BennyHarp

My day job involves working closely with young people aged 16-19 and they are very complex characters at that age. They are, in many aspects, fully fledged adults but still have many, many insecurities that can cause them to do things that are deemed socially unacceptable and often out of character. They are also pretty good at exaggerating comments made, sledging each other and winding each other up - some might call it banter but often it can get out of hand, resulting in fights etc. A very high proportion of serious incidents that occur at my school arise due to hearsay insults - (i.e. "He called your mother a whatever or he said he shagged your girlfriend or he made this comment about you on Facebook") and young people are good at making stories sound much more elaborate than they actually are. I wonder was there a bit of exaggeration or elaboration of the sledging that didn't help here?

This incident, whatever way it happened should have been handled much better by the adults in charge and it should never have seen the light of day to the media!! People will say that these sort of serious incidents need to be highlighted - I think this is bollox when you are dealing with minors. If it happened, Declan Bonner should have had a quiet word with a member of the Tyrone management team or county board officer and informed him of what had happened and maybe the Ulster council to ensure it was followed up. If Tyrone found nothing then leave it at that and move on, the onus is on the adults in charge of the Tyrone team to investigate this and deal with it as they see fit in the context of their role as having a duty of care for these kids - and that includes pulling them up when they make serious mistakes. We have elected people in place on county boards to deal with incidents like this and child protection officers too - let them do their jobs!

Once Bonner makes that complaint his role is over, he's done what he can and he can concentrate on helping his own player deal with the situation and hope that Tyrone deal with it in an effective way. What you don't do is run to the press and write a full article about it in Donegal News and inflame the incident bringing a huge media scrum down on both sides. I hope lessons are learned from this as I'd be very unhappy if were entering into a time where incidents that occur in Minor matches are given the full trial by media that is currently reserved for the senior teams (which is bad enough)
That was never a square ball!!

FermGael

Quote from: redhandefender on November 06, 2015, 11:45:31 AM

What sledging thing? About the lads father? Did you not read above it did not happen.

Or the fact that some minor footballers talk crap to each other on the pitch? It happens catch a grip.

Rugby soccer are miked up the eyeballs these days so players know they wouldn't get away with it. At amteur level it happens every weekend on the soccer pitch, far worse than anything I have experienced on a gaelic pitch. I play Fermanagh and western so plenty of your county men involved in it

At Amateur soccer level may be.
But I think that inter county Gaa is a good bit above that

WT4E

Quote from: FermGael on November 06, 2015, 11:50:29 AM

At Amateur soccer level may be.
But I think that inter county Gaa is a good bit above that

You never answered the question!!

WT4E

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 06, 2015, 11:50:01 AM
My day job involves working closely with young people aged 16-19 and they are very complex characters at that age. They are, in many aspects, fully fledged adults but still have many, many insecurities that can cause them to do things that are deemed socially unacceptable and often out of character. They are also pretty good at exaggerating comments made, sledging each other and winding each other up - some might call it banter but often it can get out of hand, resulting in fights etc. A very high proportion of serious incidents that occur at my school arise due to hearsay insults - (i.e. "He called your mother a whatever or he said he shagged your girlfriend or he made this comment about you on Facebook") and young people are good at making stories sound much more elaborate than they actually are. I wonder was there a bit of exaggeration or elaboration of the sledging that didn't help here?

This incident, whatever way it happened should have been handled much better by the adults in charge and it should never have seen the light of day to the media!! People will say that these sort of serious incidents need to be highlighted - I think this is bollox when you are dealing with minors. If it happened, Declan Bonner should have had a quiet word with a member of the Tyrone management team or county board officer and informed him of what had happened. If Tyrone found nothing then leave it at that and move on, the onus is on the adults in charge of the Tyrone team to investigate this and deal with it as they see fit in the context of their role as having a duty of care for these kids - and that includes pulling them up when they make serious mistakes. We have elected people in place on county boards to deal with incidents like this and child protection officers too - let them do their jobs!

Once Bonner makes that complaint his role is over, he's done what he can and he can concentrate on helping his own player deal with the situation and hope that Tyrone deal with it in an effective way. What you don't do is run to the press and write a full article about it in Donegal News and inflame the incident bringing a huge media scrum down on both sides. I hope lessons are learned from this as I'd be very unhappy if were entering into a time where incidents that occur in Minor matches are given the full trial by media that is currently reserved for the senior teams (which is bad enough)

Good post! Well put the only thing we know for sure at this stage is that it never happened. Awaiting Bonner's apology!

longballin

Its done in soccer makes it okay then. After all we have learnt from soccer's diving antics!

WT4E

Quote from: longballin on November 06, 2015, 11:58:27 AM

Its done in soccer makes it okay then. After all we have learnt from soccer's diving antics!

I don't think anyone is saying its okay just some people are saying its not okay for one particular county to do it!

Time for all counties and teams to stamp it out but easier said than done - Donegal have their own problems with it too.

AZOffaly

Is it fair to say it is endemic in Tyrone club football? I've spoken to a fair few Tyrone lads in real life (i.e. not here) and they've all said that this is getting out of hand in their own club football?

For what it's worth I don't think Mickey Harte or anyone else actively condones this in Tyrone, but if it has crept into Club football up there, at a high level, then it's only natural that it will spill over onto the inter county set up.

Chatter has always happened, but I would never have had the negative connotations I have with some of what is reported now. There are examples of personal stuff in the past, Liam Hayes and his brother's death being a prime example, but they were very rare and I certainly never heard it. We've all heard the 'Are you still on , have they no subs? ' kind of thing, but this new wave of stuff is beyond the pale.

As regards this specific incident, I'm afraid now that we've had the pre-emptive strike by teamtalk, and the statement by Ulster Council, and the leak to the Irish News, then the contents of the report will have to come out. It's a pity it's all been reopened again by a rash social media post, but at this stage Donegal will feel aggrieved on the back of the IN report, so I'd expect them to come out themselves, or else put pressure on the UC to issue a clarification.

If they don't then Bonner will have been hung out to dry, and that means he'll probably hit back in some column soon too. Messy.

Of course, if Dongal and Bonner misunderstood the sledging, or made up the accusation completely, then they should absolutely apologise to the young lads they accused, and to Tyrone GAA in general.