Gay marriage

Started by Eamonnca1, February 09, 2012, 07:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 10, 2012, 06:33:03 PM
lol - 17 pages on ad nauseum gay marriage debate.  :D way to waste your time folks. and half of you just in it for the sake of debate as well  ;D

Challenging unsupported and ill--considered views that affect the rights and well-being of others is never a waste of time.

Eamonnca1

What bugs me about the whole thing is that you can get away with all manner of bigotry and discrimination as long as you practice such things in the name of religion. Religion is played like some sort of trump card or get-out-of-jail card. And I see today that Obama has caved in to the Catholic "we want to discriminate" lobby for that very reason. Shameful. Utterly shameful.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2012, 04:51:47 PM

If I was faced between choosing between my faith and my family - hand on heart I'd have to choose my faith. My family wouldn't have me otherwise.
That may seem like a ridiculous statement but I really would and my family would support my decision.
As a man of little faith i have to say i admire your faith but can't understand how anything is ahead of one's family. That term seems American as i rarely hear it said here.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2012, 06:48:48 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 10, 2012, 06:33:03 PM
lol - 17 pages on ad nauseum gay marriage debate.  :D way to waste your time folks. and half of you just in it for the sake of debate as well  ;D

Challenging unsupported and ill--considered views that affect the rights and well-being of others is never a waste of time.

Battlefield GAAboard  :D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 10, 2012, 06:56:01 PM
What bugs me about the whole thing is that you can get away with all manner of bigotry and discrimination as long as you practice such things in the name of religion. Religion is played like some sort of trump card or get-out-of-jail card. And I see today that Obama has caved in to the Catholic "we want to discriminate" lobby for that very reason. Shameful. Utterly shameful.

Absolutely.

I understand why he did cave though. You have to pick your fights, especially when faced with a virulently hostile and irrational opposition and a media who will hype every little issue into a life or death struggle. This fight just wasn't worth spending any more political capital on.

Oraisteach

This topic involves so many different and intersecting threads that by the time we're done we should have a lovely quilt in a rainbow of wonderful colors.

Just wondering how, as social mores evolve, social conservatives will feel when gay marriage and adoption by gays become commonplace?  Will they feel embarrassed as some current conservatives surely must who ardently opposed  civil rights legislation in the 60s?

Puckoon

Quote from: Oraisteach on February 10, 2012, 07:39:40 PM
This topic involves so many different and intersecting threads that by the time we're done we should have a lovely quilt in a rainbow of wonderful colors.

:)

pintsofguinness

This thread is great.
Iceman, the Christian who poisons cats, would choose his faith over his family and I can't wait to hear his answer to Nifan's question.
Fitzroyalty seems to think no one but fathers like sport.
EC, the person who describes himself as "mildly racist", has a picture of a black player who was recently the victim of racist abuse as his avatar.

The biggest surprise of all though, mike sheehy made the best point in the thread:
QuoteGiven all thats gone on in the last few years we should probably be questioning the parenting abilities of the uber-"christians" instead of gay people. It was the traditionally married flock,and not gays, that turned a blind eye while the Magdelen beasts and fiddling priests had their wicked way. Some  "suitable" environment that created for children   

Then again, I suppose that is what god intended.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Iceman

Quote from: nifan on February 10, 2012, 05:55:37 PM
Puck, If I unsubscribe from our current health plan in work and seek my own through something like Cobra we're talking a couple of thousand dollars a month. Already with subsidized healthcare through my job, my contributions are close to $600 per month. We are a single income family with two kids and one more on the way.

If I was faced between choosing between my faith and my family - hand on heart I'd have to choose my faith. My family wouldn't have me otherwise.
That may seem like a ridiculous statement but I really would and my family would support my decision.

Iceman - I dont know if im reading this right - theres a lot going on in this thread.

Are you saying you would refuse the subsidized healthcare if there was an OPTION within the package for abortion etc?

And if so - if you had a sick child you would put that conviction ahead of them?
I would end up paying for the sick child out of pocket or find coverage that was suitable.

Sorry if this is an anti climax for you Pints.

Why don't you get involved intelligently in the conversation Pints instead of giving your play by play commentary.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

dec

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2012, 08:21:23 PM
Puck, If I unsubscribe from our current health plan in work and seek my own through something like Cobra we're talking a couple of thousand dollars a month. Already with subsidized healthcare through my job, my contributions are close to $600 per month. We are a single income family with two kids and one more on the way.

Iceman - I dont know if im reading this right - theres a lot going on in this thread.

Are you saying you would refuse the subsidized healthcare if there was an OPTION within the package for abortion etc?

And if so - if you had a sick child you would put that conviction ahead of them?
I would end up paying for the sick child out of pocket or find coverage that was suitable.

Sorry if this is an anti climax for you Pints.

Why don't you get involved intelligently in the conversation Pints instead of giving your play by play commentary.

I hate to break this news to you Iceman but you are already paying for abortions.

http://www.fundabortionnow.org/get-help/medicaid#NJ

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2012, 08:21:23 PM

So you can afford an alternative.

The Iceman

It would cripple us Maguire, like i said. Coverage out of pocket is $2000 per month roughly and medical bills can run into the 100's of thousands.
Not saying we have that kind of money but if push came to shove I could figure something out.

Being able to afford something and being forced to sell everything you own to buy something are two different things.
But keep twisting words......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 10, 2012, 08:54:53 PM
It would cripple us Maguire, like i said. Coverage out of pocket is $2000 per month roughly and medical bills can run into the 100's of thousands.
Not saying we have that kind of money but if push came to shove I could figure something out.

Being able to afford something and being forced to sell everything you own to buy something are two different things.
Ah, you can see my posts. That's good.

J70

Figure something out?

What... like go bankrupt?

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 10, 2012, 09:18:17 PM

Ah, you can see my posts. That's good.
Let me get that dummy tit off the floor for you there.
I scrolled back four pages to see the post about the cats you were pouting over - different conversation, different thread.