The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on August 10, 2021, 04:51:03 AM
Over 70 people shot again in Chicago this weekend 10 dead including a 29 year old female cop
The mayor is a disaster and should be removed ASAP

Don't know why anyone would want that job

You saw what the leftists attempted to do to the cop involved in the shooting of the armed 13 year old (the one who dropped a gun literally milliseconds before he spun around).

These cops have split second life and death decisions to make every time they go on duty and all they get is abuse from the left.

"Senator Dick Durbin
@SenatorDurbin
Far too many Black and Brown men and women have lost their lives to brutal acts of racial injustice. All the evidence shows that we are dealing with a system of justice that isn't being applied equally—and we need to change that."

I thought it was interesting that the people who shot the female officer on Saturday night were apprehended by bystanders

J70

Quote from: dec on August 10, 2021, 05:07:31 PM
Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

Writing was on the wall.

He'd no choice.

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 10, 2021, 05:26:43 PM
Over 70 people shot again in Chicago this weekend 10 dead including a 29 year old female cop

You saw what the leftists attempted to do to the cop involved in the shooting of the armed 13 year old (the one who dropped a gun literally milliseconds before he spun around).

These cops have split second life and death decisions to make every time they go on duty and all they get is abuse from the left.

"Senator Dick Durbin
@SenatorDurbin
Far too many Black and Brown men and women have lost their lives to brutal acts of racial injustice. All the evidence shows that we are dealing with a system of justice that isn't being applied equally—and we need to change that."

I thought it was interesting that the people who shot the female officer on Saturday night were apprehended by bystanders

The right can throw plenty of abuse at cops when it suits them. See the recent Capitol police testimony in front of Congress.

That aside, I think there would be a lot more sympathy on the left for cops if they didn't retreat behind the blue wall of silence whenever someone fucked up (the abrasive, abusive, bullying thugs speaking on behalf of their unions don't help their cause either).

Let's face it, if mobile phones were not yet invented, none of the backlash against the cops would ever have happened. The few cops to have been held accountable would still be in uniform. Accountability would be a complete non-issue.

And I'm speaking as someone who would have a lot of sympathy for rank and file cops. I know a few. I've worked with quite a few. They have a job which can be very difficult, where, as you say, a split second decision or mistake can cost someone their life.

But I have to be accountable in my job. So should they.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2021, 06:04:11 PM

"Senator Dick Durbin
@SenatorDurbin

The right can throw plenty of abuse at cops when it suits them. See the recent Capitol police testimony in front of Congress.

That aside, I think there would be a lot more sympathy on the left for cops if they didn't retreat behind the blue wall of silence whenever someone fucked up (the abrasive, abusive, bullying thugs speaking on behalf of their unions don't help their cause either).

Let's face it, if mobile phones were not yet invented, none of the backlash against the cops would ever have happened. The few cops to have been held accountable would still be in uniform. Accountability would be a complete non-issue.

And I'm speaking as someone who would have a lot of sympathy for rank and file cops. I know a few. I've worked with quite a few. They have a job which can be very difficult, where, as you say, a split second decision or mistake can cost someone their life.

Agree  with all of that but in a city bordering on 800 murders over the past 12 months, for the Senior Senator to fire gasoline on an already tense situation to score political points is unconscionable.

Maybe if his wife was out conducting traffic stops in a virtual war zone he might had adopted a different approach. ( But of course she's a lobbyist)

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 10, 2021, 06:22:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2021, 06:04:11 PM

"Senator Dick Durbin
@SenatorDurbin

Agree  with all of that but in a city bordering on 800 murders over the past 12 months, for the Senior Senator to fire gasoline on an already tense situation to score political points is unconscionable.

Maybe if his wife was out conducting traffic stops in a virtual war zone he might had adopted a different approach. ( But of course she's a lobbyist)

That tweet was from April 15, in response to that incident where the cops killed the 13 year old who has just tossed his gun away. I thought at first it was in response to this cop's murder.

He did send a letter to the USAG to urge additional action on straw purchases of guns.

For whatever that is worth. Fingers in the dyke comes to mind.

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Letter%20from%20Senator%20Durbin%20to%20Attorney%20General%20Garland%20-%20August%2010,%202021.pdf

J70

Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

NY will have its first female governor.

Scramble will start now for next year's election.

Republicans were actually considering putting up a serious candidate this time out as they thought Cuomo was beatable. Will they bother now, or just let the Trump rabble put up a sacrificial lamb? Apparently Giuliani's idiot son is running.

Eamonnca1

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2021, 07:00:43 PM

eamon and j70 are right the 1million apprehended at the southern border so far this year have all had their passports stamped are vaccinated or have a negative covid test from last 72 hours with them like you would have at any port of entry, be silly to think otherwise

Gmac

Eamonnca1

Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

Before the usual childish gloating from the right, a friendly reminder:

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2021, 09:37:45 PM
Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

does someone want to tell eamon about bill clinton ?

whitey

Quote from: Gmac on August 10, 2021, 11:10:03 PM
Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

does someone want to tell eamon about bill clinton ?

And Ted Kennedy

Never beat the deeler

Cuomo resigns

Effective in 14 days

the likes of this post is as bad as anyone on the 'other side' that you deride posts and serves no purpose other than petty point scoring.
Hasta la victoria siempre

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 10, 2021, 11:53:24 PM

the likes of this post is as bad as anyone on the 'other side' that you deride posts and serves no purpose other than petty point scoring.

A petty point scoring thread is what we have now - deeler is spot on.

These little mini-feuds, while not at a personal level yet, could explode at any time.  J70 and gmac seem to delight in jabbing the other side - and the other side takes no notice whatsoever.  Eamonn jumps in whenever the baby is asleep I suppose and a few others post rarely.  Although whitey has resurfaced again to bring another voice.  I suppose two on the left and two on the right is balanced...but the extreme examples used to score petty points do not present a normal, balanced debate.

But some day, someone will cross the line - that's what always happens.  Then we will lose some posters for ever due to necessary bans.

So I'm wondering if the thread should be locked for a while? 

Or could we ask the petty point kickers to take a month off...they hardly deserve bans, but the thread is a tiresome read nowadays. 

If they could learn to quote just the post they are concerned about, rather than all 22 in the "conversation".   Most should know that replying to the last post does not mean you have to quote it...although I'd love a "quote one post only" rule, but that seems not possible in the type of forum we are in.

I know it's easy to say that we should just ignore the thread, but this is a discussion board and this thread is not anywhere near a discussion.

What say ye?