The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: screenexile on June 22, 2021, 09:04:25 PM
56% approval things must be going well for Biden good to see a bit of stability there again!
americans love a good movie   4 years at Bernie's 

Gabriel_Hurl

did we ever figure out who Beetlejuice was?

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 22, 2021, 09:18:52 PM
did we ever figure out who Beetlejuice was?

Well known nickname for Mayor of Chicago

J70

You have a laugh at how conservatives have to throw around nicknames and make boogeymen out of someone like the mayor of Chicago whose policies and influence have zero impact on their lives thousands of miles away. Pathetic little mites.

Eamonnca1

Their crocodile tears for the poor suffering people of Chicago are less than convincing too, aren't they?

Conservatives: "Poor people have got themselves into their own mess and need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps!"
Also conservatives: "Won't someone think of the poor people in Chicago!"

Jell 0 Biafra

Interesting read from The Atlantic on police unions and how they make it nigh impossible to oust the "bad apples" from the force.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/bust-the-police-unions/619006/

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 24, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
Interesting read from The Atlantic on police unions and how they make it nigh impossible to oust the "bad apples" from the force.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/bust-the-police-unions/619006/

Great piece.

So many of these police unions are led by reactionary, right wing dirtbags. No cop can be criticized or held accountable. Its always the victim's fault. Any attempt to hold them accountable will result in threats of slow-downs and apocalyptic rhetoric against any politician or person who dares to stick their head above the parapet.

Public safety was a big issue in this week's Democtratic mayoral and city council primary elections here in NY. Personally, I voted for Eric Adams, an ex-NYPD captain, who doesn't want to defund the police, but as a police victim himself while a kid, and a reformer during his service, also wants to introduce overdue reforms. I was going to give my vote to our local councilman, Bob Holden, as I felt it was no harm to have a contrary voice in the council amidst all the newly minted very progressive councilors to be elected in other parts of the borough and city, but his high profile events and photo-ops with police union thug chief Pat Lynch meant I just couldn't stomach giving my vote to him (he was going to be elected anyway).

Jell 0 Biafra

Have a read of the Wall St. Jl. op ed linked in that piece, J70.  It's written by a police officer.  An eye opener.

screenexile

Gmac

The border csar is finally going to visit the border announced the same day after Trump said he was going , the phonies strike again.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 24, 2021, 04:05:54 PM
Have a read of the Wall St. Jl. op ed linked in that piece, J70.  It's written by a police officer.  An eye opener.

I can't see the link

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 24, 2021, 05:13:44 PM
The border csar is finally going to visit the border announced the same day after Trump said he was going , the phonies strike again.

I'll have a look back at the thread, but I don't remember you getting this exercised about what was going on at the border before.

Were you upset a few years ago when Trump was ripping the toddlers out of the arms of their screaming mothers?

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2021, 05:16:24 PM

I'll have a look back at the thread, but I don't remember you getting this exercised about what was going on at the border before.

Were you upset a few years ago when Trump was ripping the toddlers out of the arms of their screaming mothers?
i want the border csar to do her job and not let coyotes and cartels run wild that's all

J70

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2021, 05:13:31 PM
#prayforrudi

Rudi is probably loving this.

Time for the fund raising machine to go into overdrive. Its got all the necessary ingredients - persecution, victimization, New York...

Of course he won't have a word to say in response to the actual reasons he lost his license!

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 24, 2021, 05:18:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2021, 05:16:24 PM

i want the border csar to do her job and not let coyotes and cartels run wild that's all

Ok. That's fair enough if genuine.

Its not actually that much higher this year than it was in 2019, going by CBP encounters (which I'm assuming reflect overall attempted crossings).

It rose to a high level earlier this year, but I would assume a lot of that was down to the decline of COVID, as well as the fact that Biden's not going to steal your kids from you. Largest growth has been in a single adults though.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/southwest-land-border-encounters