UK pensions

Started by armaghniac, April 09, 2023, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: giveherlong on April 11, 2023, 02:52:19 PM
Unrelated UK pensions question
What is the best plan of action for someone with 5-6 different pensions from the same number of jobs to combine them into one?
Each pension pot would be about 2-3 years worth of payments before moving into next job

Think there is someone on here that can help with that. Put this question out before and had a pm from him

In the same boat! I've a 9 year one, and about 3 3 year ones and a 8/9 year one! Pish poor but probably together they may work out better.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on April 11, 2023, 04:56:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2023, 02:41:03 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 11, 2023, 02:31:45 PM
I managed to get the gateway ID sent to me via email I just can't remember the sequence. I know 😊 had to verify my Irish passport using an app that I had to download. It was very impressive. I sat my phone on the front of the passport and it read the biometric data. Sorry I can't remember the sequence
I did that but then they demanded a postcode before you can proceed, with no other option.

If I go to https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
and click of Start and login using the Government Gateway, it then asks me for my name and brings me to a page
where it says

We will ask you about items you may have, like your:

UK or International passport
    UK photocard driving licence (including provisional licences)
    Payslips or P60
    Self Assessment
    Tax credits (optional Voice ID)
    Credit record
Thanks but I don't get that choice.
I sign up,, email verification, followed by  non uk phone nr  text message verification,
then fill in name   
then question what's your Nat ins nr?
I click on 'I dont know'
then it brings me to the post code question
I  even tried a known post code  and they replied  "no known record"

Anyway my claim would be termed a not so straight foreward cold case, though under the  legal name I was using then in the UK I received 4 tax rebates, so if their records have all been  digitalised I do exist somwhere in the system. But probably  my claim is best explained over the online application.

illdecide

I got signed up and just checked my history from i left school in 1989. I have two missing years where apparently I did not pay any contributions (1995-96 & 1996-97). When I click on those two missing years it tells me I can only pay for missing contribution for the previous 6 years...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on April 11, 2023, 11:00:58 PM
I got signed up and just checked my history from i left school in 1989. I have two missing years where apparently I did not pay any contributions (1995-96 & 1996-97). When I click on those two missing years it tells me I can only pay for missing contribution for the previous 6 years...

I'm not sure about the 6 years, but my understanding is that you can now only buy years from 2006. If you have these recent years then you are not in the zone for this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

The way I'm looking at it i need 35 years contributions for a full pension. I currently have 31 years and by the end of this month it will be 32. I only have another 3 years to go to qualify anyway so coming 50 later this year bar any bad luck or death etc I should achieve the 35 year total eaasily enough...

Kidder81

Quote from: illdecide on April 11, 2023, 11:07:38 PM
The way I'm looking at it i need 35 years contributions for a full pension. I currently have 31 years and by the end of this month it will be 32. I only have another 3 years to go to qualify anyway so coming 50 later this year bar any bad luck or death etc I should achieve the 35 year total eaasily enough...

Yeah the missing years are only an issue if you are going to be short of the 35 when you retire, and even at that you still get a state pension pro rata if you haven't the full 35 years

balladmaker

What happens when you reach the 35 years ... do you stop paying NI contributions?

Sportacus

What is the best plan of action for someone with 5-6 different pensions from the same number of jobs to combine them into one?
Each pension pot would be about 2-3 years worth of payments before moving into next job
I'm not an expert but I assume there's a downside with fees on multiple pots adding up.  Putting them all into one pot takes away that problem, but then you've all your eggs in the one basket so if it doesn't do well then you're losing.  So looks like a trade off?

naka

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2023, 05:59:07 PM
best bet amalgamate and then take some advice on what pots your  monies are in
as they should change as you get older

Think there is someone on here that can help with that. Put this question out before and had a pm from him

In the same boat! I've a 9 year one, and about 3 3 year ones and a 8/9 year one! Pish poor but probably together they may work out better.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Sportacus on April 12, 2023, 11:27:35 AM
I'm not an expert but I assume there's a downside with fees on multiple pots adding up.  Putting them all into one pot takes away that problem, but then you've all your eggs in the one basket so if it doesn't do well then you're losing.  So looks like a trade off?
You'll probably pay more fees moving them all into one. Could be better to leave them all where they are and take a tax free lump sum from them all, then take payments on the rest from multiple pots, but each persons own situation will need to be assessed in more detail obviously

Kidder81

Quote from: balladmaker on April 12, 2023, 11:12:22 AM
What happens when you reach the 35 years ... do you stop paying NI contributions?

AFAIK you continue to pay them until state pension age

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 12, 2023, 01:53:11 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on April 12, 2023, 11:12:22 AM

AFAIK you continue to pay them until state pension age

I'm working 35 years and based on the state pension age I'll be paying NI contributions for another 16 years!!

Will a working man get more of a state pension than a lazy cnut?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It's based on contributions so yes.

illdecide

It is a joke though. People who have never worked their whole lives will still get benefits like Pension credits. They may not get as much us us that have worked all their lives but they still get a fair amount for being a lazy bastid. I suppose another way of looking at it is are we the silly ones for working our asses off until we're not fit to wheel the bin out...I always used to think the lazy benefit people who never worked will reap their rewards some day and I though that day is in pension age but the reality is they still get looked after until they die, they get a pension, get their rent paid, no rates...Ahh feck I need to stop or i'll throw myself off the edge here...lol

Kidder81

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2023, 02:30:15 PM
It's based on contributions so yes.

Your contributions are paid on benefits too so you someone who has never done a tap will get the same state pension