Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0614/1228053-canning-stop-criticising-hurling-and-enjoy-the-quality/

Much being made of the rocks score back in 2005 but that was very much the exception and the reason it's still clear in our minds but now every team has four or five lads capable of landing points from their own 45 and it isn't all S&C.

There's something to be said about the rims alright as I had a look at some old balls and the rims are far prouder on them than the current balls meaning more aerodynamic lag.

I don't mind high scoring games in itself, its' the free takers trudging down the park into their own half that slows everything down and probably makes the games seem more stop start.

Referees are more inclined to let a lot of the "half" fouls go come championship so it'll be interesting how that goes in the first set of games in Munster and Leinster.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2021, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0614/1228053-canning-stop-criticising-hurling-and-enjoy-the-quality/

Much being made of the rocks score back in 2005 but that was very much the exception and the reason it's still clear in our minds but now every team has four or five lads capable of landing points from their own 45 and it isn't all S&C.

There's something to be said about the rims alright as I had a look at some old balls and the rims are far prouder on them than the current balls meaning more aerodynamic lag.

I don't mind high scoring games in itself, its' the free takers trudging down the park into their own half that slows everything down and probably makes the games seem more stop start.

Referees are more inclined to let a lot of the "half" fouls go come championship so it'll be interesting how that goes in the first set of games in Munster and Leinster.

The ref needs to judge it, half fouls should only be brought back if there's no advantage, I play advantage out from half back line, fouls in full back line, just call them straight, there's no advantage there.

I'm bored of listening to people complaining about the free count by the same token the pulling back the hand, jerseys being pulled, trying to slap the ball out of hand, wrapping hands around player, whoever is coaching that needs to look at what they are doing! It's hard enough without that crap fouling.

Funny you mentioned the difference of ref'ing during the league and come championship. It's so true
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

What is interesting now is that with the possible exception of Tipp  it isn't the old firm teams that are driving the changes in the game.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 17, 2021, 06:41:26 AM
What is interesting now is that with the possible exception of Tipp  it isn't the old firm teams that are driving the changes in the game.

If Limerick keep racking up AI's then expect a "change" somewhere in the game.

A bit like "over physical" Clare in the mid 90's. Every committee room decision seemed to go against them.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/working-the-miracle-25-years-on-from-wexford-s-monumental-all-ireland-win-1.4597526

"He held up, at one stage, two letters from the same guy, ironically 12 months apart," recalls Larry Murphy. "One of them said: 'Liam Griffin, you're a disgrace. You've brought Wexford to a new low yadda yadda yadda.' 12 months later, it was: 'Liam Griffin, you're the messiah of Wexford hurling.'

Bord na Mona man

Quote"We may get an outsider," he told Griffin.

That was all that was needed to drastically alter the path of Wexford hurling. Griffin was caught. The rest is history.

"Red rag to a bull and they knew that, I suppose. And I was true to my word and stood up to the plate. I didn't want an outsider to go in because in my own subconscious I must've felt what outsider was going to have the feel for this job.

Griffin mustn't have noticed an outsider called Cyril Farrell managing them in 1992.

johnnycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 22, 2021, 05:35:21 PM

That was all that was needed to drastically alter the path of Wexford hurling. Griffin was caught. The rest is history.

"Red rag to a bull and they knew that, I suppose. And I was true to my word and stood up to the plate. I didn't want an outsider to go in because in my own subconscious I must've felt what outsider was going to have the feel for this job.

Griffin mustn't have noticed an outsider called Cyril Farrell managing them in 1992.

Maybe that didn't go swingingly and hence his reaction to the prospect of another outside manager...

Wonder who many outside managers have won AI's with their adopted counties.. Cregan is the only one I can think of.

From the Bunker

Quote from: johnnycool on June 23, 2021, 08:37:26 AM

Maybe that didn't go swingingly and hence his reaction to the prospect of another outside manager...

Wonder who many outside managers have won AI's with their adopted counties.. Cregan is the only one I can think of.

Michael Bond 1998.

johnnycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 23, 2021, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 23, 2021, 08:37:26 AM

Michael Bond 1998.

And Dermot Healy with the Biffos as well and he a kilkenny man.

Blowitupref

2,400 spectators allowed to attend the test pilot event Limerick and Cork on Saturday July 3rd in Semple Stadium. That's only 5% of capacity, nothing will be learnt from such a small crowd.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

johnnycool

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 23, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
2,400 spectators allowed to attend the test pilot event Limerick and Cork on Saturday July 3rd in Semple Stadium. That's only 5% of capacity, nothing will be learnt from such a small crowd.

certainly not in the stadium but I'd say there's more concern about people gathering up outside before and after the game in Liberty Square and the likes.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/dublin-overcome-galway-to-claim-leinster-u-20-hurling-title-1.4601799

Dublin overcome Galway to claim Leinster U-20 hurling title
Influential Gannon helps inspire a first victory over Tribesmen in underage championship hurling
about 12 hours ago
John Fallon

Dublin celebrate their victory over Galway in the 2020 Leinster Under 20 hurling final at Bord na Mona O'Connor Park, Tullamore. Photograph: Laszlo Geczo/Inpho

Dublin 1-20 Galway 1-18
Dublin hurlers received a timely boost ahead of their Leinster SHC clash with Antrim at the weekend as the county's U-20 side were good value for their victory over Galway in the delayed 2020 provincial decider.
It is the perfect boost for Dublin hurling as they defeated Galway in underage championship hurling for the first time and have now set up an All-Ireland date with Cork in a couple of weeks, having previously lost all four previous finals in the U-21 grade.
Dublin possessed a more potent attack to claim their seventh U-21/U-20 Leinster title and while, inevitably, a large part of the contest was a shootout between first cousins Liam Murphy of Dublin and Galway's Donal O'Shea, son of Tipperary coach Eamon, the four points each from play supplied by Lee Gannon and Dara Purcell was crucial to their success.
The sides were level three times in the opening half but Dublin went in leading by 1-11 to 1-9 at the break.
Galway did a lot of the early running and led by 0-3 to 0-1 after nine minutes but then Purcell pointed for Dublin before midfielder Mark Sweeney soloed through and drilled the ball low into the net for an excellent goal.
Mark Kennedy, who scored 0-4 from play in the opening quarter, responded for Galway and he also replied when Micheal Murphy pointed for Dublin and Liam Murphy hit two frees leave it 1-4 to 0-6 at the first water break.
Another free from Murphy and one from the left wing by Gannon pushed Dublin 1-6 to 0-6 in front but then a cross from the right from O'Shea was collected by John Cooney and he batted to the net after executing a sidestep which was reminiscent of his father Joe, the former All Star, to tie the sides after 20 minutes.
The sides continued to trade points but Dublin, having played with the breeze, edged two in front at half-time after another free from Murphy and one from distance from goalkeeper Eddie Gibbons.
Second half
Galway started the second half with three quick points before Dara McBride equalised, and then Dublin's Micheal Murphy and Ian McGlynn exchanged points.
Galway led by 1-15 to 1-13 at the second water break after two more pointed frees from O'Shea but the superb Lee Gannon landed two in a row and then after another O'Shea free, Dara Purcell struck for two more points.
Kennedy's sixth point for Galway narrowed the gap to one but two more frees from Murphy kept Dublin in control and he maintained their two-point advantage after Fionn McDonagh responded for Galway.
Galway almost snatched it in the final play but Sean McDonagh's low shot went across goal and wide and Dublin held on for their seventh Leinster title in the grade and they are back in an All-Ireland final at this level for the first time since 2011.
Gannon, who suffered the heartbreak of losing the All-Ireland U-20 football final to Galway last December, said they won't be burdened by history as they go in search of a first All-Ireland in the grade.
"There is a first time for everything. That's the plan. We will enjoy this one, reassess and start planning for Cork.
"It was an unbelievable win. We knew what was at stake. Leinster finals don't come around too often. We are like a band of brothers. We don't care what went before and from now on Dublin hurling will start pushing on from this."
DUBLIN: E Gibbons (0-01, 0-1f); T Kinnane, A Dunphy, A Murphy; E O'Donnell, K Burke, I Ó Heither; M Sweeney (1-0), D Power; D McBride (0-2), M Murphy (0-2), L Gannon (0-4); D Purcell (0-4), K Desmond, L Murphy (0-7, 0-7f). Subs: M Conroy for Kinnane (33), D Leavy for O Heither (45), L McDwyer for O'Donnell (50), C Foley for Desmond (52), B Ryan for Power (60+4).
GALWAY: D Fahy; E Lawless, TJ Brennan, J O'Donoghue; D Kilcommins, C Flaherty, D Shaughnessy (0-1); A Brett, I McGlynn (0-1); C Walsh, M Kennedy (0-06), S Neary; J Cooney (1-0), J Fleming (0-1), D O'Shea (0-8, 0-6f, 0-1'65). Subs: F McDonagh (0-1) for Brett (40), S McDonagh for Cooney (48), O Salmon for O'Donoghue (58).

Milltown Row2

That's a decent win for them, I was hoping they wouldn't be churning out underage titles at hurling for a while
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 24, 2021, 01:20:34 PM
That's a decent win for them, I was hoping they wouldn't be churning out underage titles at hurling for a while

They've flirted with Leinster and AI minor titles and finals in the not too distant past so no surprising that they're making shapes at U20's.