Well done Glentoran

Started by corn02, June 18, 2008, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Close to securing friendly with Celtic. Another example of progression in the north.

donalmac99

Quote from: corn02 on June 18, 2008, 02:53:48 PM
Close to securing friendly with Celtic. Another example of progression in the north.

ill agree with you if it passes off peacefully.

T Fearon

The last time Celtic played in the 6 counties there was a riot at Solitude in 1984 caused by the heavyhanded and not needed presence of the RUC.

Glentoran played Rangers in a friendly at Ibrox a few years ago and assuming this one's at the Oval the biggest risk is the invasion of East Belfast by thousands of Bhoys fans

Orior

:o
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mhacadoir

Quote from: donalmac99 on June 18, 2008, 03:06:39 PM

ill agree with you if it passes off peacefully.

i second that. in theory its a great sign of progression.

ziggysego

A sign of the times. I'm sure there will be a bit of trouble, but a small minority. Nothing like what could have happened as little as 5 years ago.
Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on June 18, 2008, 03:50:26 PM
assuming this one's at the Oval the biggest risk is the invasion of East Belfast by thousands of Bhoys fans

If there is any bother you will have a field day ::)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Will be interesting to see whose in the team they bring over considering that they are playing in the Algarve cup from the 22nd to the 24th july.
Suppose good few off the reserves and youth players, with a sprinkliing of Killen, Bobo, Sno, Mizuno (? would be worth going to just to see the wee Japanese lad) hutchinson, Hartley etc....
Tbc....

T Fearon

I repeat, an enormous security operation will be required to shepherd Bhoys fans in and out of the Oval. I certainly wouldn't fancy travelling alone and leaving my car in Dee Street with my Celtic jersey/scarf on

saffron sam2

No reflection at all on Glentoran, but like Tony, I am not sure that the locals round the Oval will be ready for this affair either.

I remember a few years ago managing a school team that qualified for a Belfast soccer final. We were down to play an east Belfast school. When we were trying to arrange a pitch for the final, one of my underlings proposed Solitude. This was shot down by the opposition with the cry "We wouldn't even dream of asking you to play at the Oval". We replied that we would in fact love to play at the Oval. So we did play and win there. Which was nice. There were however more peelers than spectators. And this for a schools' match on a Wednesday afternoon when all the locals were working at Shorts or the shipyard or somewhere else.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ziggysego

ha! working! You're some craic Saffron.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Quote from: ziggysego on June 18, 2008, 08:16:43 PM
ha! working! You're some craic Saffron.

and are you suggesting that our protestant neighbours dont work Ziggy  ;)
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Just the ones at will be protesting ;)
Testing Accessibility

MW

My dad will be chuffed, since he supports the Glens and Celtic.

Would imagine it won't quite be a first team though, but still looking forward to it.

T Fearon

In fairness, this will probably be a "Celtic side" akin to te one that played Newry,Finn Harps etc a few years ago. Basically it was Celtic reserves, although they were accompanied by the coach, the great Daniel Fergus Mc Grain ;D