Patrick Swayze RIP

Started by ziggysego, March 05, 2008, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

There is stories going mad around the media in the US that Patrick Swayze is dying. Apparently he has only 5 weeks to live.

Can any of our American based posters shed any light on this?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Well Wikipedia's wikipedia. Wouldn't pay too much heat on that.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Theres an article on Fox news, but its source is the

National Enquirerer.  ::)

Gabriel_Hurl

Yeah - the Enquirer is the source of that story

Minder

One of the great actors of the 20th century, lets hope its not true.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2008, 08:48:32 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 05, 2008, 08:46:07 PM
Well Wikipedia's wikipedia. Wouldn't pay too much heat on that.
Sorry, I'll give his brother a ring here.

Testing Accessibility

Tyrones own

It was on the news earlier alright, must be something to it.
Didn't mention how long he had other than that it's pancreatic Cancer
with the survival rate being something like 4% living beyond 5 yrs, poor bastard :(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Stanley

Apparently he has limited cancer,  the going to die in 5 weeks shite is tabloid sensationalism at it's best/worse.

Minder

Star Swayze diagnosed with cancer 

American actor Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his agent has confirmed.
However, his doctor said reports that the Dirty Dancing star had only five weeks to live were "absolutely untrue".

The 55-year-old is currently undergoing treatment and is continuing with his filming schedule.

Swayze, who also starred in the hit film Ghost, was diagnosed with cancer more than a month ago, the New York Post reported on its website.

His doctor George Fisher said in a statement: "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far.

"All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue."

Swayze's agent Annett Wolf added: "Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects.

"The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

It is understood he has been working on two films due for release this year.

In 2006, Texan-born Swayze made his London West End debut in the musical Guys and Dolls.

Swayze, who is also a trained dancer, started his career on stage and his big break was playing Danny Zuko in a Broadway production of Grease.

He is best known for his roles in the films Ghost and Dirty Dancing but returned to musical theatre in 2003 when he joined the Broadway cast of Chicago.

Dirty Dancing was a surprise hit in 1987 and still has enduring appeal two decades later.

The movie cost £2.5m to make but took over £90m worldwide, and it went on to become the first film ever to sell a million copies on video.

It won critical acclaim, Golden Globes and the soundtrack topped the charts.

stew

Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2008, 08:48:19 PM

:D

Your having a larf surely.

roadhouse and durty dancin are hardly clasics, maybe it was his stunning performance in next of kin you are talking about. :-[

take a redner minder.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

The outlook for pancreatic cancer is very grim. Basically, because it is a cancer in a deep-seated organ which exhibits few early symptoms, it generally isn't diagnosed until its too late and it has already started to spread. If they got it early, he's very lucky.

Minder

Quote from: stew on March 08, 2008, 06:53:18 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2008, 08:48:19 PM

:D

Your having a larf surely.

roadhouse and durty dancin are hardly clasics, maybe it was his stunning performance in next of kin you are talking about. :-[

take a redner minder.
how could i be joking? Roadhouse was one of the finest motion pictures of the last century,an epic tale of love,betrayal and bar room bouncers

J70

I have to admit that I enjoy Roadhouse! :-[

I've fond memories of being dragged to the cinema to see Dirty Dancing too. She was well worth it! ;D

EC Unique

RIP

QuoteDirty Dancing film star Patrick Swayze has died aged 57, his publicist says.

Annett Wolf said that the US actor, who had been battling pancreatic cancer for nearly two years, died with family at his side on Monday.

Swayze was diagnosed with advanced stage four pancreatic cancer in January last year.

The actor had been starring in US TV show The Beast since being diagnosed with the disease. He had also planned to write a memoir with his wife.

Patrick was a rare and beautiful combination of raw masculinity and amazing grace

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said a statement by Annett Wolf quoted by the Associated Press.

No other details were given.

Jennifer Grey, who co-starred with Swayze in Dirty Dancing, said in a statement: "Patrick was a rare and beautiful combination of raw masculinity and amazing grace. Gorgeous and strong, he was a real cowboy with a tender heart.

"He was fearless and insisted on always doing his own stunts, so it was not surprising to me that the war he waged on his cancer was so courageous and dignified."

He was always uncomfortable with the Hollywood sex symbol tag
Rob Lowe, who played in a number of films with Swayze, said: "Patrick lived a thousand lifetimes in one lifetime. He was an expert dancer, he wrote hit songs, he starred in hit movies, he was an amazing horseman.

"But the thing I will remember him most for was his amazing love affair with his wife Lisa."

Demi Moore has also paid tribute to her co-star in the hit film Ghost, saying: "Patrick you are loved by so many and your light will forever shine in all of our lives."

She added: "I love and will miss you Patrick."

Greg Kilday, the film editor for Hollywood Reporter, said Swayze was "in the tradition of a performer like Gene Kelly, who invested dance and romance with a real masculine athletic appeal".

Swayze's dream

In January, Swayze admitted he might only have two years to live, but denied he was near death.

In a US TV interview, he admitted he was "scared" and "going through hell".

"Am I dying? Am I giving up? Am I on my death bed? Am I saying goodbye to people? No way," Swayze told TV interviewer Barbara Walters.

"I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life, not lived in the shadow of cancer but in the light," he said.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most virulent forms of cancer which medical experts say has a 5% five-year survival rate.

clarshack