Books...

Started by 5 Sams, July 24, 2007, 11:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

...that time of the year again lads and lasses...laethanta saoire.

I need a few recommendations for a tome or two for a couple of weeks in Corca Dhuibhne in case this fcukin weather continues...I have just finished Jack O'Connors book...excellent...although Tom Humphries has made his imprint on it (no harm in that).

AFR have a similar thread but for some reason I cant get registered on the site so I can't contribute....someone over there mentioned Falling Man by Don DeLillo. Anybody read it...I have a morbid fascination with the Twin Towers and this looks interesting.

Thanks in advance
The Aristocrat Years

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

No seriously 5Sams, not sure if your into your soccer, but there is a brilliant book called "The Nation holds its Breath" by Eoghan Corry, some excellent quotations and stories about the Irish and soccer, covers all aspects of teh sport and is very funny.
Tbc....

lurganblue

just read a book called "Welcome to Hell: One man's fight for life inside teh Bangkok Hilton" by Colin Martin. I must say i read this book inside two days. i thought it was fantastic and hard to put down.
i think i'll maybe avoid Tailand too now...

An Fear Rua

Just finished "I predict a Riot" Colin Batemans latest, Its very Bateman, but just not as good as his earlier stuff, worth the read in paperback. Also recently read Paul McGraths autobiog, theres been enough said on here about it already, get it read.
Am currently reading Vic Reeves Auto "Me:Moir", its very good, very vic, and if you see the picture of his dad you might just recognise it..

R.O.C.K's (roight) new effort is out soon in paperback
Its Grim up North

redboots

Torso in the Canal... Good Read
Red Boots

Balboa

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 24, 2007, 11:44:15 PM

someone over there mentioned Falling Man by Don DeLillo. Anybody read it...I have a morbid fascination with the Twin Towers and this looks interesting.

Thanks in advance

Havent read it but is it where they try and trace one of the "jumpers" from the Twin Towers? I saw a programme about it last year and i think it would be a good read.

Tyrone lady

5 Sams ur like much like myself, have a morbid fascination with them too. Just finished reading Welcome to Hell also, less than 2 days it took, shocking story, makes one appreciate being able to actually walk free and live as we do. Just bought another one then finished it last nite, You'll never walk alone, also about a young liverpool lad in the Bangkok hilton.

5 Sams

Tyrone Lady,
I dunno what the fascination is...probably because I was on top of one of them in 1991 and then visited Ground Zero a couple of years ago.

For a good account of those events get yourself a copy of "102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers By Jim Dwyer, Kevin Flynn"...shocking stuff altogether...last time I saw it was on sale in HMV for £3
The Aristocrat Years

Tyrone lady

Good man yourself, il take a look for that one alrite, when take notion for books i cant stop, mind you it isnt a bad habit. Read a few on that falconio case in australia, very interesting and found them hard to put down.

Tyrone lady

Just got it ordered on Amazon, 5sams there another one seems to be very good if your interestedin twin towers, called Inside  9/11 what really happened, has great reviews

Balboa

Quote from: Tyrone lady on July 25, 2007, 12:24:09 PM
Read a few on that falconio case in australia, very interesting and found them hard to put down.

Did Murdoch definetley do it or are there any other theories on that case? Falconios missus, Joanne Lees i think her name was, seemed like a cold bitch.

Tyrone lady

Balboa i read the one joanne lees wrote herself first and it left me in no doubt that she was innocent, but then on reading another it seemed like there were so many discrepancies. A slight part of me feels murdoch may not have done it, get a strange feeling that perhaps he disappeared through his own will but then feel stupid for thinking that, they are excellent books, defnitly make you question the whole thing

Goats Do Shave

Last book I read was the Righteous Men - I enjoyed it!

Balboa

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 25, 2007, 12:39:08 PM
Last book I read was the Righteous Men - I enjoyed it!

Was Fergie the author?  ;)