Should The GAA Change the name of named competitions

Started by Eire90, July 16, 2021, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

The cups like christy ring lory meghar  Nicky Rackard  if a casual sees that they dont have a clue what they mean or what level they are at can they not change it to something like all Ireland B  Championship or intermediate  or even all ireland plate all ireland vase etc why are the gaa obsessed with names.

Eire90

Tailteann cup no casual will know what that means  it be  more sensible to call it the all Ireland division 3/4 knockout trophy or something.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

It's a fair challenge.  There are several named Cups in my divisional board and I can never remember which is which.  An outsider would have no hope.  Same problem at national level and it's actually worse because some of the previous attempts have burned. 

Personally I believe the overall answer is staring us in the face - there should be an All Ireland Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championship. That's a well established model across the country with teams playing at the level they can compete and the incentive to climb a grade.  For some reason I'd be happy for my county to be competing for an All Ireland Junior title but would hate to be in a B competition named after someone I've never heard of.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on July 16, 2021, 12:40:49 PM
It's a fair challenge.  There are several named Cups in my divisional board and I can never remember which is which.  An outsider would have no hope.  Same problem at national level and it's actually worse because some of the previous attempts have burned. 

Personally I believe the overall answer is staring us in the face - there should be an All Ireland Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championship. That's a well established model across the country with teams playing at the level they can compete and the incentive to climb a grade.  For some reason I'd be happy for my county to be competing for an All Ireland Junior title but would hate to be in a B competition named after someone I've never heard of.

But that's what they are? Senior is Sam or McCarthy... just take the name away and anyone that's interested still knows what these games are for. The cups are named and that's that.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Eire90 on July 16, 2021, 12:16:35 PM
The cups like christy ring lory meghar  Nicky Rackard  if a casual sees that they dont have a clue what they mean or what level they are at can they not change it to something like all Ireland B  Championship or intermediate  or even all ireland plate all ireland vase etc why are the gaa obsessed with names.

Image trying to commemorate sporting greats for posterity by naming a competition after them... Madness I know.

Maybe someone in years to come will ask who was Christy Ring or Nicky Rackard and be told exactly who they were.

Would you prefer the LVD vans AI intermediate hurling final?

J70

Quote from: Sportacus on July 16, 2021, 12:40:49 PM

Isn't there already an AI Junior Football Championship though based on players who aren't good enough for their senior intercounty teams?

Could get complicated! :P

seafoid

Intermediate is not a word. The correct word is inthermeejit.

Rossfan

Usually don't pass much heed on this lad's posts but he has a point.
Why not call them All Ireland Championships-
Senior A instead of JMcD
Senior B instead of CR
Inter A instead of NR
Inter B instead of LM.
We don't call the Connacht SFC "The Nestor Cup" and so on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Once the men in suits get their way the main competition will likely have to be called the Sam Maguire cup. Can't call it the All Ireland when all of Ireland isn't taking part.

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 16, 2021, 03:15:54 PM
Once the men in suits get their way the main competition will likely have to be called the Sam Maguire cup. Can't call it the All Ireland when all of Ireland isn't taking part.

That's like saying it shouldn't have been called that when New York & London were competiting.

Rossfan

I think the heat is affecting some people.
The All Ireland SHC never had all of Ireland taking part.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 16, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 16, 2021, 03:15:54 PM

That's like saying it shouldn't have been called that when New York & London were competiting.

Mere guests in the All Ireland series and those teams use to be filled with Irish people living there.

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2021, 03:27:46 PM
I think the heat is affecting some people.
The All Ireland SHC never had all of Ireland taking part.

At one point it did. Just that a lot of counties never bothered to enter it as that would mean trying to put a bit of effort into developing the game in their respective counties.

Rossfan

As one Co Board man once put it
"An awful lot o' money bein wasted on that feckin hurlin"