Ulster club championships 5 year rule

Started by imtommygunn, October 24, 2017, 09:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Is it correct that in junior and intermediate there is a 5 year rule where you can't play in that championship game? Does this apply to football and hurling? (I had thought cookstown had competed twice within 5 years in the football at intermediate level?)

Seems odd, and not great, that this rule applies only in ulster.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 24, 2017, 09:35:05 PM
Is it correct that in junior and intermediate there is a 5 year rule where you can't play in that championship game? Does this apply to football and hurling? (I had thought cookstown had competed twice within 5 years in the football at intermediate level?)

Clarification needed. What are you asking?

imtommygunn

Why are you banned for 5 years from the ulster intermediate or junior after competing in it once?

Is it the same in football and hurling?

Why doez it not happen in other provinces?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2017, 07:18:26 AM
Why are you banned for 5 years from the ulster intermediate or junior after competing in it once?

Is it the same in football and hurling?

Why doez it not happen in other provinces?

Only banned if you win it (Ulster) I thought?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

If there is a ban it must have been introduced since Cookstown won their pair of All-Ireland Intermediate titles in 2010 and 2013.
There should not be different rules across provinces, same as backdoor in minor provincial, should be either in none or in all.
If not consistent then teams all playing for the same prize (All-Ireland) are playing under different rules.

Rossfan

Don't be blaming the 3 sensible Provinces for Ulster silliness.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

an léirmheastóir

Think this is only in hurling due to smaller numbers of teams

illdecide

Yes I read something about this either yesterday or Monday regarding Middletown hurling. They won Ulster at Intermediate level and must move up to senior next year (goes without saying) but if they may have to take 5 years of heavy defeats at senior level (providing they don't improve) before they can compete at Intermediate level again. Dunno if it's only Hurling or football too
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on October 25, 2017, 10:20:04 AM
Think this is only in hurling due to smaller numbers of teams

Coleraine (junior hurling) are currently banned from playing in the Ulster hurling for the 5 years because of this ruling afaik

oakleaflad

Yeah it's only in the Ulster Junior and Intermediate club (hurling only). If you win that competition you cannot compete again for the next 5 years at that level. The rule has been in place for a few years with the likes of Lisbellaw, Creggan and Eoghan Rua affected that I know of.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 25, 2017, 12:21:58 PM
Yeah it's only in the Ulster Junior and Intermediate club (hurling only). If you win that competition you cannot compete again for the next 5 years at that level. The rule has been in place for a few years with the likes of Lisbellaw, Creggan and Eoghan Rua affected that I know of.

My own club in 2010 also... but i think you can still play at intermediate at county level its just at Ulster level you can't??

could have been that the majority of clubs winning it were Antrim clubs? so to get a nice even spread of counties winning it then that rule suited that? I could (more than likely) be talking shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2017, 01:28:55 PM

My own club in 2010 also... but i think you can still play at intermediate at county level its just at Ulster level you can't??

could have been that the majority of clubs winning it were Antrim clubs? so to get a nice even spread of counties winning it then that rule suited that? I could (more than likely) be talking shite

It wouldn't be you otherwise...

I think other counties have had a good few winners in intermediate and junior as well as Antrim clubs, albeit Antrim CB don't seem to mind strong clubs regrading down for an easy run in Ulster  ;)

OgraAnDun

Surely they'd be better off having a decent spread of strong intermediate clubs playing each other regularly and bringing each other on up to senior standard, than letting them get hammered every year for 5 years?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 25, 2017, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2017, 01:28:55 PM

It wouldn't be you otherwise...

I think other counties have had a good few winners in intermediate and junior as well as Antrim clubs, albeit Antrim CB don't seem to mind strong clubs regrading down for an easy run in Ulster  ;)

Yeah they have in fairness but I remember Gortnamona won it a couple times early on close together..

either way, 5 years is silly, Clubs and counties would need to bring it up at their AGM'S to a motion passed, but they may take 5 years