Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

The NZ Babas are most acdemy semi-pro players apparently. And like the Lions they are a made up team so only started training together a week or so ago. Real sloppy start.

The Lions tours are great craic mostly. Particularly in SA and NZ.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

manfromdelmonte

Walter Cronc

Have to say I'd agree with most of this. More interested in the Irish tour of the US and Japan.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipping-point-irrelevance-is-the-rock-on-which-the-lions-will-perish-1.3107501

Hardy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 05, 2017, 10:07:21 AM
Have to say I'd agree with most of this. More interested in the Irish tour of the US and Japan.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipping-point-irrelevance-is-the-rock-on-which-the-lions-will-perish-1.3107501

I agree that it's irrelevant in sporting terms but since when has that been a barrier to commercial success in professional sport? He sums it up himself:
The real modern Lions success story is in 'morkoting' a spurious sense of 'them and us' to a rugby base which normally has very clear definitions of what constitutes 'us' and isn't shy about proclaiming them.

It is a huge commercial success, with goys all over this country wittering on about how they cant wait for the first test and how much it means to raw-meat-reared Munstermen to be chosen for a team that's nothing but a relic of auld imperialism. In an era when irrelevant junk sport is growing in popularity, when you can fill stadiums with people who will watch trucks driving around for three hours, I can only see the Lions morkot thriving, not disappearing.

Syferus

I don't know who you're agreeing with but no one knows about much less cares about the Irish B team's contractual obligation tour.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on June 06, 2017, 01:56:32 AM

I don't know who you're agreeing with but no one knows about much less cares about the Irish B team's contractual obligation tour.

You sure about that? This is a very important tour in terms of the next World Cup and young lads on the cusp of making the step up to the next level. The experience gained by lads like Carberry/Leavy/Scannell/Stockdale will be invaluable as these lads will be hugely important for the World Cup!

AhNowRef

Quote from: Hardy on June 03, 2017, 11:23:16 AM
Is it OK not to be interested in the Lions but interested in why people are interested in the Lions?

Hmmm.... Interesting  ???

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2017, 11:21:05 AM

You sure about that? This is a very important tour in terms of the next World Cup and young lads on the cusp of making the step up to the next level. The experience gained by lads like Carberry/Leavy/Scannell/Stockdale will be invaluable as these lads will be hugely important for the World Cup!

+1. Huge tour for those listed and the likes of Marimon to build on his fantastic performance against England. If we are to make the last 4 in the next RWC we need 2/3 options in every position. None more so than scrum half.

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 06, 2017, 12:14:33 PM

+1. Huge tour for those listed and the likes of Marimon to build on his fantastic performance against England. If we are to make the last 4 in the next RWC we need 2/3 options in every position. None more so than scrum half.

They would be better served playing what remains of provincial sides than Japan and the US if the goal is development.

Performing well against teams of their level means absolutely nothing when the real stuff starts and you either well know it and don't want to admit it or you're just fooling yourself.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Syferus on June 06, 2017, 12:26:40 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 06, 2017, 12:14:33 PM

They would be better served playing what remains of provincial sides than Japan and the US if the goal is development.

Performing well against teams of their level means absolutely nothing when the real stuff starts and you either well know it and don't want to admit it or you're just fooling yourself.

What provincial sides?

stew

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2017, 11:45:29 AM

I agree that it's irrelevant in sporting terms but since when has that been a barrier to commercial success in professional sport? He sums it up himself:
The real modern Lions success story is in 'morkoting' a spurious sense of 'them and us' to a rugby base which normally has very clear definitions of what constitutes 'us' and isn't shy about proclaiming them.

It is a huge commercial success, with goys all over this country wittering on about how they cant wait for the first test and how much it means to raw-meat-reared Munstermen to be chosen for a team that's nothing but a relic of auld imperialism. In an era when irrelevant junk sport is growing in popularity, when you can fill stadiums with people who will watch trucks driving around for three hours, I can only see the Lions morkot thriving, not disappearing.

Relic of old imperialism my arse, Irish lads get an opportunity to develop and play with and against the worlds best, I fail to see any downside and I will be pulling for the lions on this tour no matter who plays for them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

The only unlikeable thing about the Lions is Gatland's mug. Though on balance it's probably better for us he has the gig and JS didn't have to split time.

The Subbie

12-10 to a lucky Blues team at half time after the lions destroyed them after a shaky start, sonny bill getting a injury time try for the blues.