I have a dream - 50 years on

Started by Denn Forever, August 25, 2013, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2013, 05:09:47 PM
Posted this already on another thread but it fits nicely here:

http://www.newslo.com/texas-board-of-education-revises-textbooks-slaves-were-unpaid-interns/

QuoteIn Texas, students will now be taught that slaves were not kidnapped and exploited against their will, but were actually "unpaid interns."

I wonder how we would react if somewhere in Britain schools taught: The Famine didn't happen, the Irish were merely anorexic.

Satire surely?!

That piece is worthy of The Onion!

tyssam5

Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2013, 10:07:12 PM

http://www.newslo.com/texas-board-of-education-revises-textbooks-slaves-were-unpaid-interns/

QuoteIn Texas, students will now be taught that slaves were not kidnapped and exploited against their will, but were actually "unpaid interns."

I wonder how we would react if somewhere in Britain schools taught: The Famine didn't happen, the Irish were merely anorexic.

Satire surely?!

If you look at the other stories it's an Onion type site.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2013, 07:10:26 PM

Lots of Brits I meet over in UK think most of what Irish people say happened under London rule is exaggerated or made up. Bascially the Irish had a famine, no way Britain's fault, Britain provided them refuge sure and they still moaned. Ungrateful Irish fought a war or something and some of it may or may not be in the UK, sure who could be sure. Irish fought alongside the Nazi's in WW2. IRA bombed Britain out of nowhere for no reason just coz the Irish are a bit thick. Irish history according the the vast majority of U.K. folk. Much worse interpretation if they have any Orange loyalties.

I completely disagree with this. My experience in England was that the majority hadn't a clue what the Irish question was all about, and most of the people who did have an opinion one way or another on the matter felt that the north should be "given back to the south" because they're fed up hearing about it on their evening news.  That's how it was on the North of England anyway.  In my dealings with southerners I got a bit more of the "thick paddy" attitude, but then southerners tend to look down their noses at anyone outside the "home counties" anyway, including their fellow English.

In Wales you find plenty of sympathy and not a little admiration for Ireland's efforts to shake off English domination.

In Scotland there's plenty of pro-Irish sentiment, especially where it lines up with their own independence aspirations.

Eamonnca1

I always find it interesting how the Americans revere the art of oratory. You see it in a lot of Hollywood films, where the hero saves the day by making a rousing speech while the camera orbits around him and music builds up to a crescendo just as the audience bursts into screaming applause.  I suppose it's what happens when you have country founded on ideas rather than a religion or ethnicity.

No Soloing

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 29, 2013, 06:48:20 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 28, 2013, 07:10:26 PM

Lots of Brits I meet over in UK think most of what Irish people say happened under London rule is exaggerated or made up. Bascially the Irish had a famine, no way Britain's fault, Britain provided them refuge sure and they still moaned. Ungrateful Irish fought a war or something and some of it may or may not be in the UK, sure who could be sure. Irish fought alongside the Nazi's in WW2. IRA bombed Britain out of nowhere for no reason just coz the Irish are a bit thick. Irish history according the the vast majority of U.K. folk. Much worse interpretation if they have any Orange loyalties.

I completely disagree with this. My experience in England was that the majority hadn't a clue what the Irish question was all about, and most of the people who did have an opinion one way or another on the matter felt that the north should be "given back to the south" because they're fed up hearing about it on their evening news.  That's how it was on the North of England anyway.  In my dealings with southerners I got a bit more of the "thick paddy" attitude, but then southerners tend to look down their noses at anyone outside the "home counties" anyway, including their fellow English.

In Wales you find plenty of sympathy and not a little admiration for Ireland's efforts to shake off English domination.

In Scotland there's plenty of pro-Irish sentiment, especially where it lines up with their own independence aspirations.

I am with Eamonn on this one. In all my time living in England (Manchester mainly) the main opinion I got from English people was NI was Irish, part of Ireland so give it back to Ireland. Most couldnt understand why Britain was still in NI. I cant recall ever having a conversation about the Famine or Irishmen fighting with the Nazis - or indeed Irishmen fighting with the British Army - in WWII. Most English people just wouldnt have any knowledge about those kind of things.

Many people said to me that the IRA did Manchester a favour by blowing up the city centre in 1996 as it meant the city centre had to be regenerated. Stand up comedians used to make jokes about that.

muppet

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 29, 2013, 12:13:52 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2013, 10:07:12 PM

Satire surely?!

If you look at the other stories it's an Onion type site.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/may/16/texas-schools-rewrites-us-history

QuoteThe education board has dropped references to the slave trade in favour of calling it the more innocuous "Atlantic triangular trade",
MWWSI 2017