Oktoberfest

Started by 118cmal, March 25, 2009, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Been to Munich a load of times and it is one of my favorites places to go. I stayed in a hostel over there right beside haupbahnhoff (main central train station). Here is a link to it...

http://www.wombats-hostels.com/munich/

This is not a hostel Ireland style. It is clean, has its own bar and is really cheap. Probably booked out but give them a ring and you never know.

DrinkingHarp

How many pissers are on site? I could imagine lines a mile long with all the beer ready to flow.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

mylestheslasher

Don't know about Octoberfest but i was at a smaller festival in Munich once and there were 3 queues into the jacks. One for the Urinals, one for the cubicles and the third for a bucket to puke in!

They were serving tankards of Dunkel Bier, 8% alcohol and about 2 pints per tankard. They needed a big bucket!!!

Tommy Tight Lips

8% alcohol and 2pints per tankard sounds like great stuff!!!bound to spend a clean fortune tho are you not at oktoberfest??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on March 25, 2009, 08:45:57 PM
How many pissers are on site? I could imagine lines a mile long with all the beer ready to flow.
I remember being a several hundred year old beer hall in Prague and they had a hole in the wooden bench and a trough in the floor so you could drop the auld lad through the hole and slash away while you kept on drinking.

Over the Bar

QuoteI remember being a several hundred year old beer hall in Prague and they had a hole in the wooden bench and a trough in the floor so you could drop the auld lad through the hole and slash away while you kept on drinking.

Are you sure you're not gettin Prague and Amsterdam mixed up?  Are you sure it was  really a beer hall? ;)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on March 25, 2009, 10:06:15 PM
8% alcohol and 2pints per tankard sounds like great stuff!!!bound to spend a clean fortune tho are you not at oktoberfest??

Never got to the big one unfortunately. Some of my mates went there and reckon it was mental craic.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 25, 2009, 08:52:30 PM
They were serving tankards of Dunkel Bier, 8% alcohol and about 2 pints per tankard.

Would that not be the Doppelbock at that strength Myles?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Nah, you're confusing cause and effect.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross4life

Well I'm all booked up for my 1st oktoberfest so what are the must see/do's? have been to Berlin for New Years eve, imagine this should top it?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stpauls

Quote from: ross4life on July 16, 2010, 09:16:52 PM
Well I'm all booked up for my 1st oktoberfest so what are the must see/do's? have been to Berlin for New Years eve, imagine this should top it?

are you going over just to drink or are you planning to do some sight seeing?

ross4life

bit of both have 3 days
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stpauls

Quote from: ross4life on July 16, 2010, 10:47:25 PM
bit of both have 3 days

well i can give you a couple of things to see but what do you prefer to do when on holiday, do you want to just take it easy or do you want to do some touristy (spl) stuff?

ross4life

Quote from: stpauls on July 16, 2010, 11:10:06 PM
bit of both have 3 days

well i can give you a couple of things to see but what do you prefer to do when on holiday, do you want to just take it easy or do you want to do some touristy (spl) stuff?

Touristy in day take it easy at night as i do with most cities

stpauls

Quote from: ross4life on July 16, 2010, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: stpauls on July 16, 2010, 11:10:06 PM
bit of both have 3 days

Touristy in day take it easy at night as i do with most cities

not in Munich during the Oktoberfest!!  :P

but if you do want a few things to do, go to the Oktoberfest site during the day and use some of the fairground rides and things.
also, if you are looking a relaxing day, just wander round the pedestrian area, Marienplatz to Karlsplatz, as well as the Hofgarten and the Englisher Gartens, some beautiful buildings and a very large green area.

if you are looking to do some sightseeing, go to Schloss Nymphenburg and Olympia Park. make sure you go up the tower in the park for some great fews of the city, and if the weather is clear enough, you might even see The Alps when you are up there.
you could even go to the BMW museum to see some classic and F1 cars.
if you want a day trip out of the city, take in the Dachau prison camp just to see it for what it was.