Apple TV

Started by muppet, October 07, 2010, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Thinking of getting it.

Anyone have it?
What are the pros & cons?
What about the cable you need to get with it (Sony Bravia 5 years old)?
MWWSI 2017

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Minder

Just got an email about it there. £99.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

I have the old model with hard drive which whilst good isn't as good as it could be. I had to modify it for it to play divx files which the majority of shows downloaded from Internet are. The mod ding wasn't the easiest thing either. I now have an old Mac mini which I find much more useful.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

David McKeown

Quote from: muppet on October 07, 2010, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on October 07, 2010, 02:33:45 PM
New or old model?

New, if you mean the Apple TV device.

I did haven't used it yet but the admittedly very early reports I read on it weren't good. Seemed to have removed everything good about the old model

westmayo

The new one is a streaming device, where you can rent movies etc from itunes. You can also stream media from your laptop/desktop through your home wifi network  AFAIK from reading up on it. I was thinking about getting one for using in the bedroom, but want to see it in action first. The Mac Mini under the tv, is the job for a media centre/computer in the living room. I use it with Plex for watching tv shows etc, that I have acquired online. The mac mini is costly though mind you if your just going to use it as a media centre.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

David McKeown

Quote from: westmayo on October 07, 2010, 04:37:16 PM
The new one is a streaming device, where you can rent movies etc from itunes. You can also stream media from your laptop/desktop through your home wifi network  AFAIK from reading up on it. I was thinking about getting one for using in the bedroom, but want to see it in action first. The Mac Mini under the tv, is the job for a media centre/computer in the living room. I use it with Plex for watching tv shows etc, that I have acquired online. The mac mini is costly though mind you if your just going to use it as a media centre.

You could do that with the old model as well, the only issue I have with it is that its bloody difficult to get my collection of avi's to work on it and it required some soft modding