The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Made a phone call earlier to a supplier from Dublin.  The Dublin lass on the far end of the phone asked my name and I gave it - her reply thats a very Irish name for somebody from Northern Ireland.  I asked her did she study her history in school, but I still dont think she caught on - nor would for the next 10 years.  I found the episode amusing but in a way sad.  My question is: is the day coming when we will have more in common with the English than the Irish? (and Im only talking about the Southerners!!!!!!).         

Puckoon

All that tells me is that she's some kind of combination between poorly educated and/or naturally stupid. Regardless of what you think you know (which we can tell she knows little), you dont come out with something that may be taken as an insult unless you're daft as a brush.

Whats your name anyways? Must be O' something. :D

rrhf

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: rrhf on January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM
Made a phone call earlier to a supplier from Dublin.  The Dublin lass on the far end of the phone asked my name and I gave it - her reply thats a very Irish name for somebody from Northern Ireland.  I asked her did she study her history in school, but I still dont think she caught on - nor would for the next 10 years.  I found the episode amusing but in a way sad.  My question is: is the day coming when we will have more in common with the English than the Irish? (and Im only talking about the Southerners!!!!!!).         

That bit in bold explains alot.....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

rrhf

Dont get me wrong she was a sweet chatty gal and didnt mean anything by it and as there was no offence intended - none was taken,   but is it a sign of the way things are understood these days.  What sort of history are youse guys teaching down there in the free state?

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

I must be really stupid as I don't understand this question.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

sorry Muppet,  as economic, political and infrastructural link ups nullify the border is the mindset the last frontier?   

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on January 30, 2009, 06:00:27 PM
sorry Muppet,  as economic, political and infrastructural link ups nullify the border is the mindset the last frontier?   

Probably more the blanket defense rather than mindset.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Some people have no interest in history or culture whatsoever. There are people living in Clontarf who don't know that a battle was fought there or who was involved. There are people living in Drogheda who couldn't tell you within 100 years when Cromwell was there or whether he came before or after the battle of the Boyne. It is difficult to draw any conclusions from this. I am not sure that Northerners can say that they are not influenced by the English, even in here there was much talk of "Boxing Day" for instance and miles and other imperial measure is used in preference to metric.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tankie

I blame all the British Soccer fans!
Grand Slam Saturday!

BallyhaiseMan

She was too busy watching the Hills, and the OC, to bother with Irish Geography.
Probably one of those who goes off to Spain,Cyprus, on holidays,but has never been North of Balbriggan,South of Bray and West of Tallaght.

Typical dub  :P

Gabriel_Hurl

I worked in Dublin for  a year between 2004 - 2005 and I was shocked by the lack of knowledge the people I worked with had of "The North"

Puckoon

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 30, 2009, 06:23:15 PM
She was too busy watching the Hills, and the OC, to bother with Geography.
Probably one of those who goes off to Spain,Cyprus, on holidays,but has never been North of Balbriggan,South of Bray and West of Tallaght.

Theres a strange irony in that statement.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Puckoon on January 30, 2009, 06:24:15 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 30, 2009, 06:23:15 PM
She was too busy watching the Hills, and the OC, to bother with Geography.

Theres a strange irony in that statement.

happy are we now Puck  >:(  ;D

Puckoon

Eh, Im not sure what you thought I was getting at!?

I just think its funny that the hills, and the "OC" (Orange County, California) are the names of two of the programmes that prevent this lass from knowing about Geography. ;D