Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

ExiledGael

Would be great to see the two of them in.
I wonder just how committed McCabe can be while he is being payed by Dungannon Swifts for the soccer, he's even their captain so it might be hard for him to leave. Don't really think he could do both with the required level of committment.
Delighted with the appointment, think everyone will be.

FermGael

For once fair play to the county board.  They waited out and despite the rumours of O'Rouke turning them down, they got their man.
A good choice who has won an Ulster club and  different county titles with three different clubs.
His record is excellent and hopefully he has what it takes to bring us firstly up from division 3 and secondly a good campaign in the championship this year.
If Fermanagh are to have a good year O'rourke needsto get Big Stevie and  Carson out.
Paul Coyle and Peter Leonard are with him as well.  I am assumming that is Paul coyle from Devenish who would have played for the county in the 90's but i am not to sure exactly who Peter Leonard is.
CAn anybody shed any light??
As for the championship draw i am happy enough. Brewster should be ready(thankgod for this mild spell of weather) and i would not think that Monaghan would really be relishing the opportunity of heading to fortress brewster but after seeing Antrim v Cavan being drawn, i was praying for Fermanagh to be next out of the hat
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mick999

Paul Coyle played with O'Rourke at St Marys as well ..Peter Leonard is from Donagh ..

O'Rourke is new Fermanagh manager 

Malachy O'Rourke succeed Charlie Mulgrew in the job
Malachy O'Rourke has been appointed as the new Fermanagh football manager.
O'Rourke, who guided Cavan Gaels to this year's Cavan title, succeeds Charlie Mulgrew who stepped down after four years in charge in July.

Derrylin man O'Rourke guided Loup to the Ulster Club title in 2003 and steered Errigal Ciaran and Cavan Gaels to county titles in Tyrone and Cavan.

Others interviewed for the job were Frank Dawson and the joint-ticket of Sylvester Mulrone and Sean Maguire.

Mulrone and Maguire were part of Charlie Mulgrew's backroom team.

606: DEBATE
Can O'Rourke bring success to the Ernemen? 

Mulgrew resigned after the 0-11 to 0-9 All-Ireland qualifier defeat by Meath.

Ballygawley man Leo McBride will act as a team trainer and selector while Devenish club-man Paul Coyle and Donagh man Peter Leonard will also be part of the backroom team.

McBride linked up with O'Rourke during the Fermanagh man's spell in charge of Loup and he has remained with the Derrylin man ever since.

O'Rourke, who played for Fermanagh for several years, turned down the job after Dominic Corrigan's departure in late 2003.

At that stage, O'Rourke was involved in preparing Loup for the All-Ireland Club Semi-Finals and he said that it would have been unfair to have taken on both roles at the same time.

However, he did pointedly add that he was keen on taking the Fermanagh job at some stage in the future and that has now come to pass with his appointment.

O'Rourke will be in charge of Cavan Gaels in Sunday's AIB Ulster Club clash against St Eunan's Letterkenny at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Maximus Marillius

What changed O'Rourkes opinion, from my sources he had turned the offer down, and it had nothting to do with family/work committments?

AidyMac

Jeasus Max, you know some poeple ....

Fair play to O'Rourke and wish him all the best.

Needs to get Carson, Stevie and a fully commited McCabe and McCluskey and the team will not be far off.

Heard McBride is a great trainer also.....

AidyMac

ExiledGael

Think the case all along was that the job was his if he wanted it, but he wouldn't get involved in the speculation or process until Cavan Gaels won the Championship last Sunday

Gold

Will he draft any Boho St Faber's men into the panel ??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

What do you call a Fermanagh man with an Ulster Medal?

An Irish Dancer!!

inisceithleann

Quote from: Gold on October 16, 2007, 10:42:53 PM
Will he draft any Boho St Faber's men into the panel ??

Whats the story with Boho. Was the craic about them reforming a total windup or was it seriously being considered. I've a friend in Boho and he has been advocating if for years. They really don't see themselves as Derrygonnelly men at all.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Gold

I know i know few from there--they were gettin jerseys made by O'Neills recently in a new version of their old jerseys 4 the craic.

Dont think they have enough players who would commit but it would be great if they did--they are a good 5/6 mile away from the Harps and im sure wud rather have their own team 4 their own parish

inisceithleann

I think they should run a junior team for Erne Cup Div 2 and then players should be allowed to play for Derrygonnelly in the championship. I mean Derrygonnelly have a junior B team and this team could easily be St. Faber's.

Gold

U boys were lucky stayin up this year--is there many players who dont get a game in Enniskillen??

Its such a large town for there only 2b one team in the same way as Portlaoise and Omagh

Do you think there should be more than 1 team?

I bet loads of boys well good enough drift awat when they r students

inisceithleann

Quote from: Gold on October 16, 2007, 11:13:48 PM
U boys were lucky stayin up this year--is there many players who dont get a game in Enniskillen??

Its such a large town for there only 2b one team in the same way as Portlaoise and Omagh

Do you think there should be more than 1 team?

I bet loads of boys well good enough drift awat when they r students

Yeah we did well to stay up but the problems have been caused by the Gaels dominance for the last 10 years. Many fellas after minor couldn't get onto the senior team because it contained so many county players and gave up or concentrated on soccer. Enniskillen has 6 soccer teams which explains a lot as well. Even though we only have one football club our membership and player numbers is not massive. A lot work is going to have to be done to bring us back again. We haven't won the minor championship since 1998, indicating that the club didn't take underage as seriously as they should have when the senior team was competing for Ulster Club titles.