Crossmaglen Rangers

Started by sam03/05, November 25, 2007, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenullinabu

Quote from: AFS on November 26, 2007, 07:32:05 PM
For me there is only a handful of counties in which Cross would not have a similar record, namely: Derry, Mayo, Cork, Galway and maybe Laois,  and Tyrone. Even in these 'stronger' counties they would still have at least 7 or 8 of the last 12 though.

personally i think theyd have cleaned up in derry too, apart from losing a couple of finals to maybe the near great bellaghy team of the 1990s and the ballinderry ai champions

Tyrones own

Quote from: corn02 on November 25, 2007, 07:11:12 PM
What is your point?

Point being Corn is that i remember the up roar from the Orchard men castigating large
Joe for playing him on the county team "when he doesn't even warrant a place on the Cross team"
Then to get a mention in the same sentence as the loss of Francie and co being detrimental to their success
was a little confusing, that's all.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

corn02

Big difference between Club and County Tyrones own.

seanaglis

I remember playing against cross in the minors a few years ago and they had a full-back was one of the best players i ever played against, Willie clarke. He was brilliant - why is he not on the cross panel? Peter Rogers was playing too, what happened to him? Can BCB1 answer this?

Tyrones own

Quote from: corn02 on November 27, 2007, 09:20:15 PM
Big difference between Club and County Tyrones own.

I definitely agree corn but the "He can't even get his place on the Cross team"
was quoted directly from Armagh men on this board a number of months ago, that's the reason for me questioning
Armagh Exile adding Stephen's name to a list of players that were being sorely missed :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Leo

I was a guest at a day at the races run by Crossmaglen at Fairyhouse a few years ago when they were raising money for the new stand. Spoke to the organisers Magee Events who told me they had done over 100 of these events all over Ireland and that Cross were the best committee they dealt with.
Over 1000 at the evnt and not a hitch or hint of trouble. I felt proud to be a guest of that club that day and I'm not even from Armagh.
That sort of organisational stability is I believe an essentail ingredient in their tremendous success on the pitch.
Fierce tame altogether

AZOffaly

Cross wouldn't have won 12 Kerry titles either, because the Divisional sides in Kerry are stronger than a lot of clubs, they just aren't allowed to enter the All Ireland Club. For example South Kerry have beaten Dr. Crokes 3 times in recent years, and Cross had a struggle with them.

Crossmaglen are a fantastic club side, and are a credit to Armagh football. They deserve all the respect in the world. Let's leave it at that.

nrico2006

QuoteCross wouldn't have won 12 Kerry titles either, because the Divisional sides in Kerry are stronger than a lot of clubs, they just aren't allowed to enter the All Ireland Club. For example South Kerry have beaten Dr. Crokes 3 times in recent years, and Cross had a struggle with them.

Because the divisional sides are stronger than alot of clubs.  Not too familiar with why they do that in Kerry, but why should a divisional side be allowed to enter the provincial championship, never mind the county championship.  I'm sure every county could follow suit and have a North, South, East or West team, but its hardly fair.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I'm not saying they should be, in fact I have this argument all the time down there. Precisely because they are strong, I feel it is correct that they are not allowed enter. It's an unfair advantage.

However, Kerry, (and other counties) allow it because it raises the standard of their county championship, which in turn helps raise the standard of the players coming through to the county team. Because the standard is high, therefore, I would say that Cross would not have won 12 on the trot in Kerry, but they would be perennial contenders, and frequent winners. Similar to other club teams like Gaelteacht, Crokes, Laune Rangers etc.

nrico2006

Yeah, I agree that they wouldnt have won 12 in a row.  Who beat Dr Crokes this year?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

corn02

Fair enough Tyrones own. I would of been one of the ones who said that about him. The games against Donegal and Derry he defientely done better than I expected but he would still not be good enough for the Armagh team in my eyes. He is impressing though and if he keeps continuing I am sure he will prove me wrong.

illdecide

Cross are a fantastic team no one can dispute that. But IMHO i believe when Mr McConville, McEntee's, Donaldson and Belew quit (which is not that far away) they will be very beatable. Don't get me wrong they will still win their fair share of Armagh titles but they will not dominate they way they are at this present time.

Those men cannot be replaced, the young guys coming in are good but they are not in that class...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

crossfire

TO SEANAGLIS
The "Demon" drink in both cases.

However Willie has a brother Jamie who has just joined the panel from the minors.
Hasn't got the bad habits of big bro and will be a brilliant corner forward.
Watch out for him.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 27, 2007, 08:28:05 PM
What is your point?

Point being Corn is that i remember the up roar from the Orchard men castigating large
Joe for playing him on the county team "when he doesn't even warrant a place on the Cross team"
Then to get a mention in the same sentence as the loss of Francie and co being detrimental to their success

I have to say here that when people use the argument about SK not even being first choice with his Club at number 11, then they are being a wee bit disengenuous. SK is not first choice because the best number 11 in the County also plays for the same Club, i.e. John McEntee. John McEntee would still be playing for the County if he had not chosen to retire at the start of this year.

Candyman

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 28, 2007, 12:37:32 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on November 27, 2007, 08:28:05 PM
What is your point?

I have to say here that when people use the argument about SK not even being first choice with his Club at number 11, then they are being a wee bit disengenuous. SK is not first choice because the best number 11 in the County also plays for the same Club, i.e. John McEntee. John McEntee would still be playing for the County if he had not chosen to retire at the start of this year.
Rufus old buddy, old pal... ;)
I have to disagree with part of your post...
You are right about the whole John Mac playing number 11 but surely if SK is good enough to warrant a place on the Armagh starting line-up he should be taking the place of say Martin (Fish)Aherne(sp?) in the cross half forward line???