Striking (Punching)

Started by Truth hurts, October 25, 2021, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

After seeing the disgraceful scenes in the Derry SFC a few weeks back and in the Down SFC yesterday, I feel it is time for the GAA to increase sanctions for punching. There is going to be someone badly injured someday. The GAA is supportive of the one-punch can ill campaign but in reality, is a one match ban enough for this sort of behaviour. It's time to crack down on this crap before someone dies.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Punch in head-3-6 months ban imo. Neighbour of mines died from one punch-its really dangerous

Truth hurts

I  think there needs to be a rule put in for punching to the head, there could have been serious damage done in Newry yesterday, serious damage.
If that happened in a pub there would be court proceedings.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 25, 2021, 10:45:48 AM
I  think there needs to be a rule put in for punching to the head, there could have been serious damage done in Newry yesterday, serious damage.
If that happened in a pub there would be court proceedings.

Yeah-but if you involve the law in the GAA you better be ready for a shunning

Armagh18

Awk lads it's a few slaps not nice but no point crying about it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 25, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

I used to be first man in, but honestly its getting embarrassing and some of the blows are that cowardly that it will inevitably end very badly some day, too many getting involved from over the fence as well

sid waddell

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 25, 2021, 10:15:59 AM
After seeing the disgraceful scenes in the Derry SFC a few weeks back and in the Down SFC yesterday, I feel it is time for the GAA to increase sanctions for punching. There is going to be someone badly injured someday. The GAA is supportive of the one-punch can ill campaign but in reality, is a one match ban enough for this sort of behaviour. It's time to crack down on this crap before someone dies.
Nice little stamp to the head by the Kilcar goalkeeper on a Glenties player lying on the ground after the final whistle yesterday.

BennyCake

Why what happened yesterday?

Truth hurts

Throwing your foot when a man is on the ground is not part of the GAA,
Throwing punches for the sake of it needs to stop

Truth hurts

general_lee

It's always the same clubs involved. In Armagh there is little surprise when you hear of a match involving certain clubs having a bit of boxing or being abandoned. I'm sure it's the same in other counties, am I right in saying there was a video doing the rounds last year or the year before of ballyholland? And they're at it again yesterday?

No point handing out individual sanctions, easy to find loopholes and overturn. Punish the clubs collectively

charlieTully

Quote from: general_lee on October 25, 2021, 11:34:17 AM
It's always the same clubs involved. In Armagh there is little surprise when you hear of a match involving certain clubs having a bit of boxing or being abandoned. I'm sure it's the same in other counties, am I right in saying there was a video doing the rounds last year or the year before of ballyholland? And they're at it again yesterday?

No point handing out individual sanctions, easy to find loopholes and overturn. Punish the clubs collectively

I take it you didn't see the videos doing the rounds. Big kilcoo sub midfielder was the one doing most of the swinging.

Truth hurts

Quote from: charlieTully on October 25, 2021, 11:37:09 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 25, 2021, 11:34:17 AM

I take it you didn't see the videos doing the rounds. Big kilcoo sub midfielder was the one doing most of the swinging.

He could have injured someone severly

imtommygunn

Would both teams here not have a reputation? (Not from Down but from the outside looking in seems like that?)

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 25, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Drinking your food through a straw for weeks while your jaw is wired is not nice.