Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

is a true a referee was a kidnapped at a game recently

Itchy

Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:47:25 AM

No its not, its an urban myth that I have never seen any evidence off.

Itchy

Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:45:02 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM
Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

Eire90

if your disrespecting the ref then you not a true gael  or sportsman and probably playing for ego purposes to make you look like some sort of community tough guy.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:51:45 AM

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

I'm not talking about cosmopolitans like you who have lived in many counties

I'm talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesn't mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 11:34:30 AM

I'm talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesn't mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 01:25:34 PM

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

There's been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

Tyrdub

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:48:44 AM

No, its not a myth, it happened after a game in a Munster county

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 01:45:06 PM

There's been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:09:57 PM

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

There's tons of young people in every club who've never lived away from home or outside their own counties

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:17:54 PM

There's tons of young people in every club who've never lived away from home or outside their own counties

You've now inserted the word "lived". When did you last live in Ireland as a matter of interest?

Rudi

It's pure bull dung & a cop out from the Gardai, issuing a statement saying "no formal complaint from the game was received ". No investigation unless a complaint received.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:17:54 PM

You've now inserted the word "lived". When did you last live in Ireland as a matter of interest?

If you think that there is no hatred between clubs in rural Ireland that's entirely up to you.

Believe whatever you want

(Fire up the old Google machine and you'll find evidence of rival supporters fighting and referees being assaulted up and down the country-assaulting referees is intertwined with this tribalism)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on October 14, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:48:44 AM

No, its not a myth, it happened after a game in a Munster county

Nearly happened up here but couldn't fit the ref in the boot  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Was there not a ref put in a boot with their kid on the back seat once?