Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Definitely a runner for team of the decade.

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 29, 2021, 12:03:34 AM
As good a team as Mayo has to get to 10 semi and not win 1 final once. Is very poor no matter the opposition.
Kildare FM are plugging Kildare's first Leinster Final for 4 years but football is going through a very strange phase.
The Dubs won and stayed at the top.
Nobody else got a look in.

Kerry lost 4 in a row, previously 2 was the maximum.
Everybody got hammered.

Mayo deserve credit for standing up to them. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2021, 11:08:31 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 29, 2021, 02:14:49 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 29, 2021, 12:03:34 AM
As good a team as Mayo has to get to 10 semi and not win 1 final once. Is very poor no matter the opposition.
Apart from Donegal in 2014 remind me of all the other teams that have beaten Dublin when this poor Mayo team couldn't???

Dublin lost 3 games in the AI series(es) 2010 to 2020 incl.
Won around 30 and a draw or 2.
Hard to lose  when you play at home all the time

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2021, 10:13:59 AM
Sometimes a very good team is unlucky to come up against a very dominant team and unable to win Sam.

This happened to Roscommon and Monaghan in the late 70s/80s and is happening to Mayo now.

Sometimes success is about timing.

absolutely no comparison , ros contested one all ireland , as for monaghan , seriously ?   
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Armagh18

https://www.facebook.com/734989616564617/posts/4666650883398451/?d=n

Good interview but him crying about getting injured by O'Hora is a joke tbh, he initiated the off the ball tussle and came out the worst.

Hound

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 20, 2021, 10:14:50 AM
https://www.facebook.com/734989616564617/posts/4666650883398451/?d=n

Good interview but him crying about getting injured by O'Hora is a joke tbh, he initiated the off the ball tussle and came out the worst.
I agree completely that you shouldn't be crying about foul play that officials missed, especially this long after. But to say Walsh initiated it based on one clip is a bit silly. You're ignoring everything that went before, and if you blindly/wrongly took it that nothing went before, it doesn't mean O'Hora's foul play in that incident was justified. 

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/shane-walsh-calls-for-gaa-to-look-at-introducing-a-tmo-1.4705031

It's not yet three months since his Connacht final effectively ended before half-time when Walsh was involved in an off-the-ball incident with Mayo defender Pádraig O'Hora. Such was the hurt in his shoulder he required a pain-killing injection at half-time, and although he played on, his influence – which had included 1-1 in the first half – was obviously hindered.

"The news after it was that I cracked the bone in the shoulder, and torn ligaments, and there was a lot of bruising around the shoulder," Walsh says. "So I missed the next eight weeks about. Missed our first club championship game, back for the last two. But my fitness wasn't where I'd like it to be because I was in a sling for the guts of three or four weeks as well. Not too fond of it. It kind of happens in games too, but frustrating.

"I was trying to get anything to numb the pain in the shoulder to be honest. After the initial incident happened, I thought I was fine. I thought it might be just the bang after I was pulled to the ground. But I kicked a free just after that with my left foot and the shock from the nerves – it sent a trigger up to my right shoulder. Initially I was in agony. I said I'd get to half-time, I was trying then to do anything, said if I could numb it at all, I'll deal with the repercussions afterwards. That's the bullish notions you get when you're in the middle of a game."

For all the talk of championship structure , Walsh believes another pressing issue is to give more support for referees, whether that's a Television Match Official (TMO) or Video Assistant Referee (VAR).

"I'd probably be one who would be in favour of a TMO coming into GAA because there is an awful lot of stuff like that going on. For me, it's very frustrating. Your championship game is taken away from you in a couple of seconds. In fairness, if it happens on the ball, you're unlucky and it happens. But it wasn't on the ball.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on October 22, 2021, 12:31:39 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/shane-walsh-calls-for-gaa-to-look-at-introducing-a-tmo-1.4705031

It's not yet three months since his Connacht final effectively ended before half-time when Walsh was involved in an off-the-ball incident with Mayo defender Pádraig O'Hora. Such was the hurt in his shoulder he required a pain-killing injection at half-time, and although he played on, his influence – which had included 1-1 in the first half – was obviously hindered.

"The news after it was that I cracked the bone in the shoulder, and torn ligaments, and there was a lot of bruising around the shoulder," Walsh says. "So I missed the next eight weeks about. Missed our first club championship game, back for the last two. But my fitness wasn't where I'd like it to be because I was in a sling for the guts of three or four weeks as well. Not too fond of it. It kind of happens in games too, but frustrating.

"I was trying to get anything to numb the pain in the shoulder to be honest. After the initial incident happened, I thought I was fine. I thought it might be just the bang after I was pulled to the ground. But I kicked a free just after that with my left foot and the shock from the nerves – it sent a trigger up to my right shoulder. Initially I was in agony. I said I'd get to half-time, I was trying then to do anything, said if I could numb it at all, I'll deal with the repercussions afterwards. That's the bullish notions you get when you're in the middle of a game."

For all the talk of championship structure , Walsh believes another pressing issue is to give more support for referees, whether that's a Television Match Official (TMO) or Video Assistant Referee (VAR).

"I'd probably be one who would be in favour of a TMO coming into GAA because there is an awful lot of stuff like that going on. For me, it's very frustrating. Your championship game is taken away from you in a couple of seconds. In fairness, if it happens on the ball, you're unlucky and it happens. But it wasn't on the ball.

Following that logic Walsh would have also been black carded for his initial foul on O Hora

Armagh18

Oisin Mullin away down under by the looks of it. Shame but best of luck to him

Blowitupref

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 04, 2021, 11:13:27 AM
Oisin Mullin away down under by the looks of it. Shame but best of luck to him
Only for Covid he would have been away a few years ago it seems. Be interesting to see can he establish himself out there or return back to Mayo in a few years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Any hints from Bekan as to whether the trip to London will be the cancelled 2020 one by Ros or the 2022  sequenced one?
Is the NY trip still happening now that NY want to play in the Tailteann?
Mullin will be a loss to the Rhus right enough.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM