Limerick Hurling - A Billionaire's playground.

Started by TheGreatest, February 20, 2019, 09:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on January 08, 2021, 05:34:07 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2021, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 08, 2021, 12:48:11 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2021, 11:15:11 AM
Quote from: marty34 on January 07, 2021, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2021, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 06, 2021, 05:19:02 PM
I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

You'd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

But it'll take these minors and U20's a couple of years to get into it right - wait and see.  It'll not be to they're 24 or 25, at least before you see them develop properly.

Some of those lads played in 2020 championship and didn't look out of place,Evan Niland being one,I'd expect 2/3 to come in,in both counties this year and make an impact

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2021, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 08, 2021, 05:34:07 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2021, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 08, 2021, 12:48:11 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2021, 11:15:11 AM
Quote from: marty34 on January 07, 2021, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2021, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 06, 2021, 05:19:02 PM
I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

You'd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

But it'll take these minors and U20's a couple of years to get into it right - wait and see.  It'll not be to they're 24 or 25, at least before you see them develop properly.

Some of those lads played in 2020 championship and didn't look out of place,Evan Niland being one,I'd expect 2/3 to come in,in both counties this year and make an impact

Did he play in the NHL this past couple of years?

Concannon also has been floating about this past couple of years but has made a huge impression this championship.

macker15

Is Dowling due back with Na Piarasigh this year?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macker15 on March 01, 2021, 09:34:25 PM
Is Dowling due back with Na Piarasigh this year?

I hope so, one of my favourite hurlers club and county
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I thought he was retired completely? Bad injuries he had.

macker15

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2021, 06:37:08 PM
I thought he was retired completely? Bad injuries he had.

Think was returning to club action.

imtommygunn

I see on this subject he just put on Twitter he'd just had his fourth operation and was hoping to be walking pain free in a few months. That sounds like a lot to go through  :o

TheGreatest

seafoid

Eamonn Cregan in dreamland as Limerick revel in golden era
Former player, coach and manager says county's academy was key to the startling transformation
about an hour ago Updated: 38 minutes ago

Seán Moran

Limerick captain Declan Hannon celebrates with the Liam MacCarthy Cup at Croke Park. "I'm delighted for him because things weren't always easy for him," says Cregan. Photograph: Laszlo Geczo/Inpho

Ten years ago it started, says Eamonn Cregan.
"It was Shane Fitzgibbon's idea. 'Lifting the Treaty' was intended to improve young players in an academy, preparing them to be able to compete at the highest levels."
Fitzgibbon immediately recruited Cregan and other interested Limerick hurling people to take teams. He said at the time that Cregan had so much to offer the county still, as the only man from the county to have won an All-Ireland both on the field and as a manager.
The groundbreaking work was so successful that another major name, Joe McKenna, was approached to see if he would become involved with an expanded operation and, having interested his friends JP McManus and brother Gerry, the great Limerick production line was up and running with McKenna in charge.
Cregan's intercounty involvement spanned over 50 years as an under-age player, senior hurler (and at one stage, footballer) as well as coach and manager until he signed off in 2016 having taken Mary Immaculate College in Limerick to a first Fitzgibbon Cup nearly a quarter of a century after being persuaded to get involved with the college's camogie team.
"What the academy did was pick up players who would never have been picked up before," he says.
"Cathal O'Neill is now on the senior panel. He's a young fella from Crecora and they were a junior club but at under-age he began to shine in the academy. That's what we wanted to do, pick up everyone."
He stresses the importance of late developers in the process.
"In 2007 Shane Dowling and Dan Morrissey were on the Forristal team (under-14 intercounty). We called up 100 players and I'd say three of them came through but we knew that. Everyone wanted to be involved with the county panel. I spent three years with them and we would have had the Darragh O'Donovans and the Richie Englishs but they were only on the B team.
•   Peter Keane taking nothing for granted as Kerry remain wary of Tyrone threat
•   Awesome Limerick reach new heights as they complete back-to-back triumphs
•   Limerick v Cork: Throw-in times, TV details and team news
"I think about eight of the panel that won the first All-Ireland in 2018 had been on B teams at the Forristal stage (under-14)."
As a constant presence in Limerick and key influence on the county's 1973 win – by stark irony, he managed Offaly to beat his county in the 1994 All-Ireland final – he was used to lamenting the failure to step up: the 'one All-Ireland since 1940' narrative continued all the way to 78 years before John Kiely's team bridged the gap in 2018.
In dreamland
He is in dreamland at this stage after the county completed a third MacCarthy Cup in four years at the weekend with a team featuring many of those he had seen grow and develop over the years.
"They came up through primary schools and secondary like Ardscoil, Castletroy, Doon CBS – Séamus Flanagan played Harty Cup with West Limerick colleges.
"That's how they all got to know each other and began to play the same type of game. To watch yesterday and see how they played was unbelievable. The arrival of Paul Kinnerk, John Kiely and their backroom team was really significant. I don't have enough praise for them."
He marvels at the multi-faceted modern management teams.
"I would never be able to do that because I wouldn't have the tools and the amount of analysis that's needed would drive me nuts. I wouldn't be able for it as I'm not tech-friendly the way everyone is these days."
He is particularly proud of the input of his former Mary I charges. Limerick captain Declan Hannon and player of the year-elect Cian Lynch are two.
"Cian Lynch is so far ahead of everyone and when he gives you a hand pass, there's often something on, like the two goals yesterday. That's how he played even as a young fella. Hand passing can be overdone but it has its uses.
"When we won in 2016, we went to extra time and extra-extra time. He scored the two points that won it for us – off his left side. You can pick out the leaders. David Reidy was another and Darragh O'Donovan, Richie English (all in Sunday's match panel). They were Mary I."
Immense final
He's particularly happy for Hannon, who had an immense final at centre back and entered the history books as the first man to captain three All-Ireland-winning teams since Christy Ring. Eight years previously he had endured a difficult semi-final when Limerick lost to eventual champions Clare.
"We had him full forward on the Mary I team and switched him to right corner forward. We were hand-passing too much, the sort I don't like: five hand passes to get the ball out of defence and then a long ball into the forwards. Declan was waiting and waiting and the full back is fouling the hell out of him.
"We shifted him out so that we could then hit in the high ball and he could come in at speed. We said to the backs, one hand pass and then drive the ball. Corner backs hate a moving corner forward. In 55 minutes of the final he hit 1-12. Five were frees but 1-7 from play. He's comfortable anywhere because he has that ability, good first touch and strikes well off the left and the right. You saw that on Sunday.
"I'm delighted for him because things weren't always easy for him."
Did he think he'd ever see the day when Limerick were so dominant?
"Did I? No, I didn't! It's great though".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Don Cockburn

Other counties will simply copy what Limerick do best and then improve on it.

imtommygunn

Completely made up and he's said it himself. Who does this kind of shit.

clonadmad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2022, 09:58:44 PM
Completely made up and he's said it himself. Who does this kind of shit.

A lad when he's on the beer with his mates in the pub

Ash Smoker

McManus is 71 now. The magic money tree won't go on forever in Limerick.

johnnycool

Quote from: Ash Smoker on October 04, 2022, 10:58:45 AM
McManus is 71 now. The magic money tree won't go on forever in Limerick.

There's no pockets in a shroud either Ash.