Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 08, 2020, 07:28:43 PM
Judge for yourself, I can hear Ooh Aah up Armagh but can see how it could be easily misconstrued.

https://twitter.com/padraigoo/status/1336107991481933825?s=24

It absolutely ridiculous whats been made of this. I firstly found it hard to believe a Camogie team full of young women would choose to celebrate a all ireland victory by singing IRA songs. I then heard that clip and really all you can say is some people hear what they want to hear and will go out of their way to get offended.

RedHand88

Its clearly Armagh ffs. This is up there with the Italian flag on Donaghmore school for funniest Unionist fake outrage of the century.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on December 10, 2020, 04:27:51 PM
Judge for yourself, I can hear Ooh Aah up Armagh but can see how it could be easily misconstrued.

It absolutely ridiculous whats been made of this. I firstly found it hard to believe a Camogie team full of young women would choose to celebrate a all ireland victory by singing IRA songs. I then heard that clip and really all you can say is some people hear what they want to hear and will go out of their way to get offended.

Its absolutely ridiculous, you have just won a cup and you are going to go back to the changing room and start chanting something about the IRA. It is shameful that the BBC is promoting this attempt at character assassination. 

As for it being easily misconstrued, there is no "the" sound whatsoever there, there is no rational basis for this. Perhaps the DUP think they were chanting about "up a 'ra" to cover all the different subdivisions of republican?

Paul McGrath does an "oh ah" in the Chef Sauce ad, is he secretly trying to insult the Protestant people of Ulster?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on December 10, 2020, 04:50:03 PM

Its absolutely ridiculous, you have just won a cup and you are going to go back to the changing room and start chanting something about the IRA. It is shameful that the BBC is promoting this attempt at character assassination. 

As for it being easily misconstrued, there is no "the" sound whatsoever there, there is no rational basis for this. Perhaps the DUP think they were chanting about "up a 'ra" to cover all the different subdivisions of republican?

Paul McGrath does an "oh ah" in the Chef Sauce ad, is he secretly trying to insult the Protestant people of Ulster?

The Irish news ran a story on it which was surprising. They really should have known better than to fall for it!

Milltown Row2

Dublin ladies going for 4 in a row, when they split Dublin will the ladies have too?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

Exactly. Armagh Camogie needs to put this bed by pointing out that they will not be apologising to anyone for a few girls singing: "Ooh, ah, up Armagh!"

Oh wait...

"Further to the Armagh dressing room celebrations following their victory in the All-Ireland Premier Junior Camogie Championship final on Saturday December 5, Armagh Camogie Board wish to state that it was never the intention to offend or upset anyone," it read.
"On behalf of Armagh Camogie, we sincerely and deeply regret any offence caused as a result of this incident."
https://www.gaeliclife.com/camogie/armagh-camogie-apologise-for-alleged-offensive-chanting/+
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 20, 2020, 06:44:39 PM

Exactly. Armagh Camogie needs to put this bed by pointing out that they will not be apologising to anyone for a few girls singing: "Ooh, ah, up Armagh!"

Oh wait...

"Further to the Armagh dressing room celebrations following their victory in the All-Ireland Premier Junior Camogie Championship final on Saturday December 5, Armagh Camogie Board wish to state that it was never the intention to offend or upset anyone," it read.
"On behalf of Armagh Camogie, we sincerely and deeply regret any offence caused as a result of this incident."
https://www.gaeliclife.com/camogie/armagh-camogie-apologise-for-alleged-offensive-chanting/+

They didn't state that anyone did anything inappropriate only regret at people whining about it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

It was wrong two levels, saying it and getting caught!

Whoever recorded it and thought it was a good idea to put it on social media needs whipped
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on December 20, 2020, 08:41:42 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 20, 2020, 06:44:39 PM

Oh wait...

They didn't state that anyone did anything inappropriate only regret at people whining about it.
The only rational interpretation of their statement is that although not explicitly acknowledged, they accept that offensive chanting did occur and they regret* that.

However there are two possible explanations for your response. First, that you lack the intelligence and reasoning capability to draw the above deduction.

Or second, that you don't think that pro-terrorist displays like that are any harm, since the only "problem" here are the "whiners".

I know where my money lies, but I'm open to your disabusing me on that.

* -  When I say "regret", I expect that they regret the harm done to their image, at least as much as "any" [sic] offence caused by it.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2020, 08:58:15 PM
It was wrong two levels, saying it and getting caught!

Whoever recorded it and thought it was a good idea to put it on social media needs whipped
So the person with the video phone deserves "whipping" [sic]

And the people he/she was recording?

I mean, apart from issuing the most anodyne, mealy-mouthed statement they can get away with, will Armagh Camogie take any action against them?

[When I say "action", perhaps something like this: https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/17/edinson-cavani-charged-by-fa-for-racist-instagram-post-13765874/?]
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

haranguerer

Who's to say it was the PIRA they were singing it about? Does the 'old' UVF excuse that seems to be accepted by society in the north only work for unionism?  ::)

Meanwhile Armagh camogie association makes an apology and the same people who are falling over themselves to say its not good enough are lauding the IFA for doing a fantastic job combatting sectarianism when in actual fact they continually just sweep it under the carpet. I imagine everyone would be a lot more inclined to consider their behaviour, if it wasn't so galling listening to complete hypocrites pontificate about it.

*I should say, that's not directed at you specifically EG, more those prominent in society in the north

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/12/17/news/-identify-and-punish-those-who-sang-secarian-chant---glentoran-2162634/

Evil Genius

Quote from: haranguerer on December 21, 2020, 03:03:08 PM
Who's to say it was the PIRA they were singing it about?
Er, right.

And when people eg daub a swastika on the wall of a synagogue, it's actually a reference to the pre-1930's period, when it was actually seen as a "Good Luck" symbol, you know, wishing them well:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591

And when am I going to get my laundry back?

http://www.newsfour.ie/2020/11/swastika-laundry-remembered/

Does the 'old' UVF excuse that seems to be accepted by society in the north only work for unionism?  ::)
Whataboutery.

Meanwhile Armagh camogie association makes an apology and the same people who are falling over themselves to say its not good enough are lauding the IFA for doing a fantastic job combatting sectarianism when in actual fact they continually just sweep it under the carpet. I imagine everyone would be a lot more inclined to consider their behaviour, if it wasn't so galling listening to complete hypocrites pontificate about it.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/12/17/news/-identify-and-punish-those-who-sang-secarian-chant---glentoran-2162634/
More whataboutery.

Or did Armagh's opponents make a complaint and a demand for punitive action that I somehow missed?

*I should say, that's not directed at you specifically EG, more those prominent in society in the north
Then why not open a thread for those prominent people? You know, in the "General Section"?

That way we'd be less likely to get deflected from the topic at hand....

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

haranguerer

'Whataboutery' doesn't dismiss the points, nor is it deflection. Everything being relative to everything else, or 'whataboutery' if you will, is key to for one thing the functioning of justice, and for another, setting any sort of standard for behaviour.

This is part of a wider conversation, you can choose to bury your head in the sand about that or not, but it doesn't change the fact. Your response seems to suggest that yes, you don't think its the 'old' uvf they are celebrating either, yet these events are embraced by unionism as a whole - a uvf wreath was placed at city hall on remembrance day (i believe the attached statement  included conflicts since the WWs). Very hard to take criticism from those quarters on matters like this, and undoubtedly contributes to a mood of defiance, especially at a time when, incredibly, it seems we are expected to celebrate a state which systematically discriminated against us.

You can be selective in your criticism, but you should try not to be blind to, nor dismiss as 'whataboutery' attempts to place it in society as a whole, which, if you'd any interest in actually changing the behaviour, is essential.

Evil Genius

Quote from: haranguerer on December 21, 2020, 04:24:47 PM
'Whataboutery' doesn't dismiss the points, nor is it deflection. Everything being relative to everything else, or 'whataboutery' if you will, is key to for one thing the functioning of justice, and for another, setting any sort of standard for behaviour.

This is part of a wider conversation, you can choose to bury your head in the sand about that or not, but it doesn't change the fact. Your response seems to suggest that yes, you don't think its the 'old' uvf they are celebrating either, yet these events are embraced by unionism as a whole - a uvf wreath was placed at city hall on remembrance day (i believe the attached statement  included conflicts since the WWs). Very hard to take criticism from those quarters on matters like this, and undoubtedly contributes to a mood of defiance, especially at a time when, incredibly, it seems we are expected to celebrate a state which systematically discriminated against us.

You can be selective in your criticism, but you should try not to be blind to, nor dismiss as 'whataboutery' attempts to place it in society as a whole, which, if you'd any interest in actually changing the behaviour, is essential.
This thread is about Armagh Camogie, not soccer, or Unionism.

There are numerous threads about both in the General Section, so why do you introduce them to this one, unless you somehow feel that the incident under discussion, and which AC apologised for (kinda), no longer matters, or even never really happened, because "themmuns" are up to far worse?

Or to put it another way, those extraneous topics are only "part of the wider discussion" [sic] because you choose to make them so.

Is this because you are embarrassed at people focusing on this one, so wish to deflect?

Or because you're not at all embarrassed, and therefore feel that it's only "Themmuns" who have the problem?

Frankly, I'm not sure which of the two is the more, er, embarrassing.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

haranguerer