Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2023, 01:33:30 PM
There's a wonderful conundrum in your line about it not being a professional sport Trailer.

——

Tell me something. Just how much of a hike in men's football ticket prices would you be willing to stomach, to allow the female sports to enjoy the same levels of expenses?

For example, would you be okay with £30 for a league game?

And at what point would you start objecting to directly paying for people in another sport to play their hobbies? Is there one.

That is very true. And I don't have all the answers but I don't see this a Men v Women fight. Why should it all be laboured on ticket prices? Women and girls bring so much to our association much of it unseen so to make a simple monetary argument is unfair. Their contribution is more than pounds or euros. We're a community organisation. So it is not that simple.
The same argument exists when it comes to government budgets. I am not a huge fan of the arts. Should funding be cut to support, sport, or health or education? Teachers definitely shouldn't be paid in the summer months!

We can do better.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2023, 02:08:34 PM
There's a wonderful conundrum in your line about it not being a professional sport Trailer.

——

Tell me something. Just how much of a hike in men's football ticket prices would you be willing to stomach, to allow the female sports to enjoy the same levels of expenses?

And at what point would you start objecting to directly paying for people in another sport to play their hobbies? Is there one.

That is very true. And I don't have all the answers but I don't see this a Men v Women fight. Why should it all be laboured on ticket prices? Women and girls bring so much to our association much of it unseen so to make a simple monetary argument is unfair. Their contribution is more than pounds or euros. We're a community organisation. So it is not that simple.
The same argument exists when it comes to government budgets. I am not a huge fan of the arts. Should funding be cut to support, sport, or health or education? Teachers definitely shouldn't be paid in the summer months!

We can do better.

While is disagree with your main point I am settling down with popcorn to see the fallout from the bit in bold

Louther

——

We can do better.

That is brillant line on the teachers, be some recruitment drive off the back of that.

Regards the funding for ladies game, like Everything it needs to be self sustained.

Do you attend the county ladies games or support them in any way? Help promote them and drive an audience to them?

This is the biggest issue they face. Any losing their best players to Australia doesn't help this. It creates a narrative that it's where the good players are or what the sport is for.

The LGFA, like the GAA, are very poor on self promotion. Trying to find fixtures and results for the LGFA games at club and county is hard work at times.

tiempo

trailer

Quote from: Louther on June 20, 2023, 03:04:04 PM

——

We can do better.

That is brillant line on the teachers, be some recruitment drive off the back of that.

Regards the funding for ladies game, like Everything it needs to be self sustained.

Do you attend the county ladies games or support them in any way? Help promote them and drive an audience to them?

This is the biggest issue they face. Any losing their best players to Australia doesn't help this. It creates a narrative that it's where the good players are or what the sport is for.

The LGFA, like the GAA, are very poor on self promotion. Trying to find fixtures and results for the LGFA games at club and county is hard work at times.

3:30 now so expecting them to pile in now....

Look on a serious note if it all comes down to basic economics then lets close down all aspects of the GAA that isn't self sufficient. Why just focus on the girls? Lets start with Division 4. Nobody watches that shite. Hurling below Liam McCarthy level.. forget about it. Small clubs.. lets close them. We're in the ruthless profit business. I don't care what it brings to the association. Everyone must pay their way. Handball, Scor all a burden on our great, all-conquering Men's County games.
Armagh also under review after their ludicrous attempts to get Croke Park opened at the weekend only for less that 6000 to turn up.

Cavan19

Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2023, 03:40:34 PM

——

We can do better.

Look on a serious note if it all comes down to basic economics then lets close down all aspects of the GAA that isn't self sufficient. Why just focus on the girls? Lets start with Division 4. Nobody watches that shite. Hurling below Liam McCarthy level.. forget about it. Small clubs.. lets close them. We're in the ruthless profit business. I don't care what it brings to the association. Everyone must pay their way. Handball, Scor all a burden on our great, all-conquering Men's County games.
Armagh also under review after their ludicrous attempts to get Croke Park opened at the weekend only for less that 6000 to turn up.

They have their own organisation whats wrong with them operating within their means?

There is no need for them to be running their championship at the moment when they are competing against the mens competition for crowds and exposure. If they held off a few weeks it would be a lot more beneficial for them. They also have two many games in their championship with groups games where a straight knockout would suit them better and save money.

Cavan ladies went on strike earlier in the year due to expenses not been paid and lack of gear and they didn't have a pot to piss into and the Cavan LGFA wouldn't let them fund
raise to generate the money.

Louther

Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2023, 03:40:34 PM

——

We can do better.

We looking at the whole of the LGFA as a body. Like any volunteer organisation there will be parts that work and take in the funds and others that don't. Everyone knows the last 5/6 games of the all Ireland series (football/hurling) and their commercial activities fund the rest of activities. But the money they're from this and it's sustainable.

The LGFA for obvious reasons don't have this level of income to sustain what is been looked for. Lot of counties have been resourceful and have managed to look after their players. I note not every county was in picture.

Bit like the time the Intercounty players/GPA threatened strike. Several Intercounty players I know had no idea what the issue was.