County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on October 19, 2021, 12:13:14 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 19, 2021, 09:01:17 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on October 19, 2021, 08:04:41 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on October 18, 2021, 08:44:28 PM
Not technically a manager but announced this evening that Cian O'Neill has joined Padraic Joyce's backroom team as coach.

Another man who's stealing a living on the circuit.
I'd put him in the same bracket as Poacher and tally.
Complete bluffers but some county/club always fool enough to take them on, irrespective of traci record of continued failure.

You can't underestimate an ability to sell yourself, talk the coaching lingo and give a good powerpoint presentation.
The title of the thread is incredibly apt. Same names going round and round. It's hard to get on this merry go round, but it's harder to get off!

Replace Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp and Big Sam with Cian O'Neill, Rory Gallagher and Paddy Tally etc.

yellowcard

It looks like Davy Fitz to Galway hurlers is a done deal, another one on the merry go round.

Blowitupref

Not technically a manager but announced this evening that Cian O'Neill has joined Padraic Joyce's backroom team as coach.

Complete bluffers but some county/club always fool enough to take them on, irrespective of traci record of continued failure.
In O'Neill case he was involved in Kerry and Tipperary football and hurling All Ireland success. Poacher played his part in getting the best out of Carlow remains to be seen if he's suited to Roscommon

The one year Tally was with Galway they reached the All-Ireland semi final and NFL final, Galway best year for some time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: thebackbar1 on October 19, 2021, 12:49:24 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 19, 2021, 11:49:22 AM
We'll see how it goes but it's not like things could get much worse I suppose, you couldn't be that optimistic all the same, would be a miracle turnaround.
Be right back to square one in 2023 I'd say.

If players walk away it will get worse, if Mayo progress on the current path with proper s&c and Galway don't the gap will get wider, no doubt about it. Standing still is going backwards.

I suppose I meant in the context of how whatever players are there will be turned out on the pitch. Sure there's little to show that we're not going backwards at a rate of knots, Division Two next year again.

Whatever about the Davy Fitz palaver this is interesting from Mick Foley article in the Sunday Times:
The senior hurlers had a back room team of 23 people under O'Neill, and it is the hurling board's intention to have a team of eight strength and conditioning coaches available to the seniors, under-20s and minors for the coming season. Lukasz Kirszenstein has been head of their S&C since 2017, and he was joined this week by a new coach who has committed to 22 hours a week. It is understood that the panel of eight S&C coaches will also include college interns.

The hurling board is also planning to appoint a development squad manager who would liaise with the senior, under-20 and minor managements to keep promising young players in the system.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8dc71e2c-2ec6-11ec-9657-60f46274c249?shareToken=9e5477062001034cdf4646ab99591232

My question would be, what are the football side doing at the minute that's in the same vein as that? Whatever about anything else the S&C looked shocking this year at Senior never mind down the levels.
A lot of what is proposed there is very similar to the recommendations that KW left the football board when he exited, what long term plan is there to get Galway back into an AI final again? Doesn't seem to be anything there.

shawshank

Quote from: yellowcard on October 19, 2021, 01:15:36 PM

You can't underestimate an ability to sell yourself, talk the coaching lingo and give a good powerpoint presentation.
The title of the thread is incredibly apt. Same names going round and round. It's hard to get on this merry go round, but it's harder to get off!

Replace Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp and Big Sam with Cian O'Neill, Rory Gallagher and Paddy Tally etc.

Gallagher and Tally were parts of All Ireland winning management teams, Tally has won a Sigerson, tried the management thing and is back where he is excellent at coaching. Gallagher got to a couple of Ulster finals with an old team, got Fermanagh to an Ulster final which is no mean feat, has taken Derry out of the basement and in successive years to Division 2 and Derry are certainly on the up. Your analysis is not lazy but reeks of bitterness and spitefulness, and may I add, not for the first time.
Davy Fitz is an All Ireland winning manager. You must have done some winning as a coach or manager to have such an important view of your own opinion to look down your nose at people.

yellowcard

Quote from: shawshank on October 20, 2021, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 19, 2021, 01:15:36 PM

Gallagher and Tally were parts of All Ireland winning management teams, Tally has won a Sigerson, tried the management thing and is back where he is excellent at coaching. Gallagher got to a couple of Ulster finals with an old team, got Fermanagh to an Ulster final which is no mean feat, has taken Derry out of the basement and in successive years to Division 2 and Derry are certainly on the up. Your analysis is not lazy but reeks of bitterness and spitefulness, and may I add, not for the first time.
Davy Fitz is an All Ireland winning manager. You must have done some winning as a coach or manager to have such an important view of your own opinion to look down your nose at people.

Give your head a wobble. I'm not arguing about their coaching credentials but their nomadic existence on the circuit. Between the 3 of them they've been involved with management in about 17 different counties. Looking down my nose, don't make me laugh!

Helix.

King Henry to take over the Galway senior hurlers. More power to him!

twohands!!!

Quote from: Helix. on October 20, 2021, 05:35:45 PM

Davy a serious contender for shortest managerial reign ever.

Would be interesting to see who was it who broke the news that Davy had the job yesterday.

Captain Obvious

Who has he managed prior to this?

Helix.

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2021, 07:22:53 PM

Ballyhale Shamrocks to a senior club all Ireland and Thomastown in Kilkenny Intermediate championship atm.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 20, 2021, 06:39:51 PM

Davy a serious contender for shortest managerial reign ever.

Would be interesting to see who was it who broke the news that Davy had the job yesterday.
Keeping the news secret was the biggest thing. Apparently only 7 people knew
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

twohands!!!

Quote from: Helix. on October 20, 2021, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2021, 07:22:53 PM

Ballyhale Shamrocks to a senior club all Ireland and Thomastown in Kilkenny Intermediate championship atm.

Ballyhale won the senior All-Ireland two years in a row.

Rossfan

Only Longford and Down still vacant it seems.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2021, 11:12:34 AM
Only Longford and Down still vacant it seems.

I heard some strong rumours that Dermot McCabe is in line for Longford role. He stepped away from Mickey Grahams backroom panel with Cavan and is the current manager of Gowna who are back in a county final in Cavan this weekend against Ramor. He is also the counties Games Development Officer.

Related to this is the two clubs in the same parish competing in senior finals in different counties on the same day!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/divided-parish-heading-in-opposite-directions-40987826.html

Rossfan

Poacher gone from Ros backroom to pursue "interests closer to home".
Is he to be part of a new Down management team?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM