Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

Quote from: redandblackareback on August 27, 2021, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 27, 2021, 01:22:30 PM
But who red and black?
It's ok saying this and that
Who can we realistically get?

That's the job for the expert 5 man panel, that's why they were appointed, but please don't come back to us with previous failures, former players, queen's old boys or someone off the buddy list. The people of Down deserve better. Antrim got McGinley, Derry got Gallagher, Armagh wanted someone got Donaghy, Monaghan got Buckley, Donegal got Rochford, just look at that list in comparison and tell me we can't do better?

I'd like John Kennedy given a chance - he took Glenn from the doldrums to Div 1, since managed in Louth and been with Dromintee the past couple of years winning Div1 title this year. He was in for a shout with the u20's a few years back however the panel did not want poucher involved with him.

I know first hand JK lives for it, proven in down+armagh now. Maybe as he wasnt part of the 91 or 94 team may go against him all the same  ::)

Truth hurts

Quote from: general on September 01, 2021, 12:11:06 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on August 27, 2021, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 27, 2021, 01:22:30 PM
But who red and black?
It's ok saying this and that
Who can we realistically get?

That's the job for the expert 5 man panel, that's why they were appointed, but please don't come back to us with previous failures, former players, queen's old boys or someone off the buddy list. The people of Down deserve better. Antrim got McGinley, Derry got Gallagher, Armagh wanted someone got Donaghy, Monaghan got Buckley, Donegal got Rochford, just look at that list in comparison and tell me we can't do better?

I'd like John Kennedy given a chance - he took Glenn from the doldrums to Div 1, since managed in Louth and been with Dromintee the past couple of years winning Div1 title this year. He was in for a shout with the u20's a few years back however the panel did not want poucher involved with him.

I know first hand JK lives for it, proven in down+armagh now. Maybe as he wasnt part of the 91 or 94 team may go against him all the same  ::)

Please take your Glenn-coated glasses off,  Glenn got to division 1 with an exceptional group of players who came through at the same time. I have no doubt that Kennedy is a good manager but he has never been part of an intercounty set up.

Centre 3/4

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 01, 2021, 09:19:39 AM
The bog one for us was Monday. Away to Belfast on a Monday but Carryduff were very poor
Are Carryduff a one season wonder?
Big talk about all these county players but are they overrated?

Have struggled massively with injuries all year especially to key players, Connery Mcgeough Beatty McCabe Mcgonigle among 9 players missing on Monday. Wider squad just not strong enough to compete with a very slick point team. Two county boys that played didn't have much support so a tad unfair there. Mid table finish in our first season isn't the worst account given how much we've struggled with numbers.

befair

Quote from: Centre 3/4 on September 01, 2021, 01:05:22 PM
The bog one for us was Monday. Away to Belfast on a Monday but Carryduff were very poor

Have struggled massively with injuries all year especially to key players, Connery Mcgeough Beatty McCabe Mcgonigle among 9 players missing on Monday. Wider squad just not strong enough to compete with a very slick point team. Two county boys that played didn't have much support so a tad unfair there. Mid table finish in our first season isn't the worst account given how much we've struggled with numbers.

A Belfast club struggling for numbers emphasise the problem; imagine how difficult it is for small rural clubs. Maybe it's time to go 13-a-side; make it easier for small clubs (and counties) to compete. More space might also make defensive strategies less effective

Hope CPN win tonight; having so many players poached by Burren down the years must have been frustrating. Down football really needs the bigger towns like Warrenpoint, Castlewellan, and Downpatrick to prosper if we are ever again to challenge at county level. Newry is a dead duck, it seems

terrifictommy

Is the reason no ref appointed because the game is called off?

Truth hurts

Quote from: befair on September 01, 2021, 01:34:06 PM

A Belfast club struggling for numbers emphasise the problem; imagine how difficult it is for small rural clubs. Maybe it's time to go 13-a-side; make it easier for small clubs (and counties) to compete. More space might also make defensive strategies less effective

Hope CPN win tonight; having so many players poached by Burren down the years must have been frustrating. Down football really needs the bigger towns like Warrenpoint, Castlewellan, and Downpatrick to prosper if we are ever again to challenge at county level. Newry is a dead duck, it seems

Carryduff , Bredagh and East Belfast are lucky that they come unbder the gaelfast. Newry needs a full time gaa officer

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 01, 2021, 01:46:21 PM
Quote from: befair on September 01, 2021, 01:34:06 PM

Carryduff , Bredagh and East Belfast are lucky that they come unbder the gaelfast. Newry needs a full time gaa officer

you reckon?

Wonder if any of the three have noticed themselves...

Truth hurts

the 4 Newry clubs would see a benefit immediately, 20,000 of a poplulation

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 01, 2021, 02:17:06 PM

What benefit do you think Carryduff, Bredagh and less so East Belfast availed of as part of Gaelfast?

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on September 01, 2021, 02:44:13 PM

What benefit do you think Carryduff, Bredagh and less so East Belfast availed of as part of Gaelfast?

I am sure East Belfast would be getting help. Do you not think a games promotion officer in Newry would be a waste of money?

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 01, 2021, 03:05:15 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 01, 2021, 02:44:13 PM

I am sure East Belfast would be getting help. Do you not think a games promotion officer in Newry would be a waste of money?

I'm sure there's already county and Ulster GDO's working in Newry, not full time all the same.

From what I'm aware there's very little "extra" for the three clubs you mentioned as Antrim CB took control and not only had coaches in Belfast but North Antrim and the likes..

upandwin

Any word when the championship fixtures are being announced, as in date, venue, ref etc.

Surely the league conclusions don't affect the Championship do they have to wait until after Friday to plan them?

upandwin

Also, See Loughinisland have conceded tomorrow night's game again...bad state of affairs when there are division one teams unable to field...Covid has been a real hammering for them this year and injuries on top of it by the sounds of things...not having much luck. Surely even they could fire some Minors or U20s out on the pitch for a game and try to avoid a fine...? There has to be 15 ppl fi and able to play a game on Friday night, just not ideal prep for their championship campaign ahead...

So if Clonduff beat Kilcoo and Ford beat Warrenpoint, Clonduff pip their neighbours on head to head to win the league...if CPN win they lift Div1 for their first time ever and if CPN and Clonduff are both beaten then the Bridge take it home...great finish in store. My prediction is Clonduff by 2, Warrenpoint to Draw and Clonduff to win the league on three way H2H

Mourne Red

Quote from: upandwin on September 02, 2021, 10:04:14 AM
Any word when the championship fixtures are being announced, as in date, venue, ref etc.

Surely the league conclusions don't affect the Championship do they have to wait until after Friday to plan them?

Championship dates sent around the clubs this morning

befair

I expect CPN to win comfortably this evening; I hope they celebrate as they deserve.