Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on November 03, 2014, 09:43:32 PM
Quote from: wobbller on November 03, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on November 03, 2014, 06:39:13 PM
He also has a wider selection to choose from
Wider?  How so?
He has the pick of both Shamrocks Minors and Burren minors and U16 from this year, as well as clubs like Saul, carryduff, liatroim,mayobridge, rostrevor and ballyholland, teams who performed strongly in both U16 and minor division 1-2 this year. Also teams like Glenn who won the B championship this year in minor level
So all these teams and Clubs are new to Down Football at U18 level and Mulholland didn't have Rostrevor as winners nor Mayobridge as runners-up nor Ballholland as B winners in 2013. Phew!

Centre 3/4

Due to how late he was appointed the minor squad wasn't finalised march/April time meaning the team had no time to gel as a unit. That combined with the stupid idea that macrory players didn't join the panel until their teams were knocked out didn't help Shane

NP 76

Thought that was the same every previous years that Mc Crory players don't join the panel to they are out of the schools competition. What really can be done about it that both Newry schools are normally in the running late on in the competition. But I think Shane will have the rest of them together a lot quicker this season to get a bit of unity and cohesion between them unlike last year where he didn't have much time together to gel

Centre 3/4

This doesn't happen in the likes of donegal or tyrone shouldn't happen in down either schools have too much power in the matter

NP 76

It has always been the case. What can be done about it is the question. There is motions going to congress to try and address burn out at that age one of them tackles the schools issue by having the hogan finished by 17 march but as you know these things are hard to get passed at congress. It is always disruptive to any county that has a school progressing well in Mc Crory for boys to just appear after the school is knocked out and lads there flat out all through the winter. Even Tyrone has these probelms

speculative

NP76 you say that like MacRory lads aren't training "flat out" over the winter. MacRory winter training is gruesome, sprinting up hills in Kilbroney, Tullymore and Castlewellan Park, these lads will never be fitter than what they will be around February time this year.

Down Follower

Quote from: speculative on November 05, 2014, 09:55:42 AM
NP76 you say that like MacRory lads aren't training "flat out" over the winter. MacRory winter training is gruesome, sprinting up hills in Kilbroney, Tullymore and Castlewellan Park, these lads will never be fitter than what they will be around February time this year.

Absolutely. I would genuinely say that MacRory cup training is the closest a young player gets to professional in his career. I remember going Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat with the school, and that was just collective training. When the club got going, we were also filling in Mon/Fri/Sun. Every day of the week. Class. Burnout wont happen if you are enjoying it.  Its only an hour or so a day!!

NP 76

I didn't say the Mc Crory boys weren't training flat out I meant that how would you feel to train flat out all winter for some boy to appear after the school is over to take your place. How would that lead to a healthy comradarie in a county set up. I know the training the schools do I have fone it in my time and it is as close to a county set up as there is.

supersub

Quote from: NP 76 on November 05, 2014, 10:30:56 AM
I didn't say the Mc Crory boys weren't training flat out I meant that how would you feel to train flat out all winter for some boy to appear after the school is over to take your place. How would that lead to a healthy comradarie in a county set up. I know the training the schools do I have fone it in my time and it is as close to a county set up as there is.

It is the nature of the beast I'm afraid. All teams want their best players at the most important times and that's the bottom line. If you are blessed enough to be one of these players you are on a winner, if not you are going to have to work harder or hope for an injury. The reality is that if a schools player comes back he is arguably going to be a higher standard and thus the manager will want him in the team.

speculative

Agree with SuperSub it's just the way it is. I'm sure the lads who would already be on the team would know the score to begin with anyway.

T O Hare

MacRory football will always take precedence over early minor fixtures. It is one of the most prestigious competitions in Ulster football. Shane is the right man for the job and has been working over the year with development squads at u17 which has not seen a professionalism like this ever.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

SHEEDY

Down have been drawn to play Cavan, Monaghan and UUJ in group A of the 2015 McKenna cup.
nil satis nisi optimum

ardtole

Its very unfair on the young lads who are strung along having their heads filled with shite about playing championship in the summer, get to play in the league games and as soon as the college lads are finished handed a kit bag, told we will keep an eye on you but sent home humiliated. In most cases it seems the real squad is already predetermined regardless of performance.

T O Hare

Quote from: rosskarr on November 05, 2014, 09:43:03 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on November 05, 2014, 07:16:39 PM
MacRory football will always take precedence over early minor fixtures. It is one of the most prestigious competitions in Ulster football. Shane is the right man for the job and has been working over the year with development squads at u17 which has not seen a professionalism like this ever.
While not dis-agreeing with any of what has been said-I'll ask the question
-'has this method of Minor selection been successful?'

What method??

T O Hare

It happens in all counties in Ulster. Maybe a solution would be to have the Macrory and Hogan finished early as in my opinion in drags on too long and pre Christmas/McCormick is a pointless competition with the main teams  only starting really tough training around Xmas time.