Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarvaLegend

When do the Championships start? Is it the weekend immediately following the completion of the leagues (10th-13th September) or the weekend after (17th-20th)? I've been looking and of the "six counties", four of them have their club championship fixtures and dates published. The only two that don't have the information readily available on their website are understandably Tyrone who are still in the All Ireland, and Down.

Mourne Red

Quote from: ScarvaLegend on August 29, 2021, 07:14:22 PM
When do the Championships start? Is it the weekend immediately following the completion of the leagues (10th-13th September) or the weekend after (17th-20th)? I've been looking and of the "six counties", four of them have their club championship fixtures and dates published. The only two that don't have the information readily available on their website are understandably Tyrone who are still in the All Ireland, and Down.

Down Championship fixture list was sent out to clubs about a month or so ago. 1st Round of Championship is 10-13th then played too finished with maybe 1 week break somewhere in-between all the fixtures.

terrifictommy

I thought Championship was 17th weekend

Johnnysboys

Quote from: upandwin on August 29, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
Burren will win the PRFC...CPN have a decent team but there were only a few teams that could win the PRFC...Burren are the best team by a street, Kilcoo and Clonduff next. CPN have played nobody decent until Carryduff. Burren will walk the final, their seconds would beat most senior teams...loads of U20s playing and that was a lot of the team who came through unbeaten in the whole of underage football. Burren people have never been more confident and they all say they will win the SFC and PRFC this year...they won't be beaten again this year at senior level...

Sometimes the best team doesn't win as easy as you think and sometimes not at all.. We seen this quote about Burren not being beaten a while back and it went to pieces after ONE game!!!

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Mourne Red on August 29, 2021, 09:32:06 PM
Quote from: ScarvaLegend on August 29, 2021, 07:14:22 PM

Down Championship fixture list was sent out to clubs about a month or so ago. 1st Round of Championship is 10-13th then played too finished with maybe 1 week break somewhere in-between all the fixtures.

Was this then put back a week when the All Ireland final was moved? Not sure why as obviously Down aren't involved and the day itself could be left free of games, but I had heard this from a few people. Hopefully the fixtures get sorted ASAP anyway, if even to allow players and management to plan ahead.

Mourne Red

Didn't take into account the All-Ireland, Yeh it'll be put back until the next week then.

supersub

The dates for every round of the championship were sent out two weeks ago, and had factored in the AI Final move. All clubs will be more than aware of this. The football Championships start on Thursday 16th Sept. Hurling championship starts this coming weekend.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: supersub on August 30, 2021, 12:06:26 AM
The dates for every round of the championship were sent out two weeks ago, and had factored in the AI Final move. All clubs will be more than aware of this. The football Championships start on Thursday 16th Sept. Hurling championship starts this coming weekend.

Would you know the planned date for releasing the championship fixtures?

Too many steps

Quote from: upandwin on August 29, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
Burren will win the PRFC...CPN have a decent team but there were only a few teams that could win the PRFC...Burren are the best team by a street, Kilcoo and Clonduff next. CPN have played nobody decent until Carryduff. Burren will walk the final, their seconds would beat most senior teams...loads of U20s playing and that was a lot of the team who came through unbeaten in the whole of underage football. Burren people have never been more confident and they all say they will win the SFC and PRFC this year...they won't be beaten again this year at senior level...

Haven't heard anything in Burren about not being beaten again this year from the locals. So don't know where this is coming from. If anything quite a few are quite pessimistic about the championship.

Like everyone they are looking at Kilcoo thinking there might be signs of a dip in form and with injuries they might not be the force they were, but also know Kilcoo will be a different proposition come championship.

There seems to be very little between the top 4 or 5 teams in the league this year so should be interesting championship.

Mourne Red

1st Round - 16th-20th September
2nd Round - 23rd-27th September
3rd Round - 1st-4th October
1/4 Finals - 8th-11th October
Semi Finals - 22nd-24th October
Final - 7th November

That's the fixture dates list.. Junior/Intermediate football finals are 5th/6th November.

Leftmidfield

Half time CPN 1.08 Carryduff 0.3

Leftmidfield

Carryduff: 0-7(7)
Warrenpoint: 2-12(18)

supersub

Quote from: manwithnoplan on August 30, 2021, 07:55:04 AM
Quote from: supersub on August 30, 2021, 12:06:26 AM

Would you know the planned date for releasing the championship fixtures?

I'm afraid I don't. I would imagine soon enough however. Possibly after the last round of league fixtures on Friday?

ScarvaLegend

Now that the destiny of Division 1 is firmly in CPN's hands (barring a final day slip up at home to Bryansford), attention turns to the other three divisions. All three have an exciting run in.
Division 2: Downpatrick are already promoted and should wrap up the title with a win at Saul on Friday. Last night's results have thrown up an interesting clash, as Longstone and Castlewellan play in a winner take all battle for the second promotion spot. The draw favours the Stone, should that be the result.
Division 3: 2 games remaining for most, and if Shamrocks can get a win away at Liatroim on Friday, it will leave all of the top 3 on 16 points going into the final match on Monday. A Liatroim win on Friday will see them and Saval promoted as Saval will have a 2 point lead over Shamrocks and have them on the head to head.
Division 4: With 2 games remaining, any of 4 teams still have a shot at going up. On Friday, Bright and St Pauls should have comfortable victories, but Kilclief and Dromara face each other. A Dromara win will see Kilclief out of the running, but a Kilclief win will see them both with a mathematical chance of going up, but needing a result elsewhere to give them a chance.

upandwin

Fair play to the County Board, their decision regarding the league structures has made for a really enjoyable spectacle across all four divisions...

CPN will not get it easy on Friday, Ford will have their tails up after a great win against Clonduff last week. Big game on Friday for the neutrals will be Clonduff v Kilcoo...strange one with the yellas that they always seem to start really well every single year and begin to fall away when the proper business end of the season rolls around. Bit early to say that this year but I think they'll need a good showing against the Magpies to get some momentum before their championship campaign begins.

What has happened Loughinisland? See they didn't field last night against Bryansford? They were struggling massively at the start of the year with Covid from what I hear but surely they can still get 15 lads to line out for league games? Seems like they've resigned themselves to the fact they won't be competitive this year in the SFC and with no relegation maybe it's not worth risking lads etc. which is fair enough.

RGU are some force to be reckoned with if this year is anything to go by...Prenter, Mooney, Smyth and D Turley seriously pacey and provide strength all over the pitch with Anthony Doherty back, Gerard Collins and Big Peter Turley at the edge of the square, they are my dark horses for a serious championship run...only thing going against them is they have been playing Div2 intensity all year which is hard to then adjust to the pace of Div1 teams like Kilcoo and Burren...

Has anyone seen much of the Stone or Castlewellan this year? I think the Stone will have too much at home to the Town and should just pip them...

Saval and Liatroim to go up from Div 3, Would be shocked if Shamrocks go and get a result in Liatroim this week but you never know I suppose...Great week of football ahead of us :)