Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Early season trophy up for grabs Sunday evening in Newry
I think this may attract a good crowd
We have had different players in and out of the team in our first 6 games. We are starting to get more lads back so the final may be a tasty affair
Looking forward to the game
Was at the Rostrevor match last night. Bryansford kicked a few late scores to make the scoreboard look better. They play a very negative brand of football

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 06, 2021, 09:01:24 AM
We have had different players in and out of the team in our first 6 games. We are starting to get more lads back so the final may be a tasty affair
Was at the Rostrevor match last night. Bryansford kicked a few late scores to make the scoreboard look better. They play a very negative brand of football

I think it's a bigger game for yous than Kilcoo, If the Point shit the nest again then it will be a case of what's another year. If the Point can get a win then it might put some doubt in Kilcoos head for the season ahead. Though I do not believe Choc and Laverty have featured yet.

elk

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 06, 2021, 09:01:24 AM
Was at the loughinisland game and tbh the point we're missing a lot of players no John Boyle no Magee's no mc cartans  and r mc aleenan. Some of the lads replacing them struggled so I would be fearful for CPN if the same team lines out against Kilcoo.

Truth hurts

I expect Kilcoo to win but it won't be easy, their reserves and premier reserves also look to be on target to win their respective leagues again. They seem to have a strong core of adult footballers who are committed to the club, great to see.

Sad news about Charlie Keown (former county Chair) who passed away, may he rest in peace.

Targetman

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Targetman on July 08, 2021, 09:44:11 PM
Tally's gone, who next?

Wow - didn't see this coming so quickly...

SHEEDY

Quote from: Targetman on July 08, 2021, 09:44:11 PM
Tally's gone, who next?
not a surprise. Hopefully whoever comes in can unite the county and get the best players back in the jersey.
nil satis nisi optimum

Dubh driocht

Tally did OK, nothing better, nothing worse.
There are some people who blame him for the decision to substitute Paul McComiskey which probably cost us an All Ireland.  That's a bit unfair as ultimately the manager makes decisions.  That's why he has to take responsibility for what was an embarrassing performance against Donegal following an equally embarrassing collapse against Cavan.  However he did get a limited group of players to adopt an effective style and deserves credit for getting us into Division 2 and keeping us there. So I thank him and his management team.
It's a big challenge to find a successor , probably easier to say who should not get it. A number of prominent names spring to mind but none of the people being mentioned ( apart from Conor Laverty, Jim McGuinness or Mickey Harte) should even be considered let alone appointed.

Truth hurts

On the management front, we need someone who will unite the county again. But some of the so-called players need to take a hard look at themselves. The commitment levels of other counties are way ahead of what we have. We always have someone else to blame whether it be management, county board, the man who makes the grub, or the cleaner in the dressing rooms.  Boys think that it's a divine right to play for Down and to refuse a Down jersey is an insult to all the great men who played before you. I wish the new management team that comes in the best of luck whoever they are and let's get Down back to winning ways again.

5times5times

Back to the 91-94 team we go..... Bottom line is, we dont have the players.. Lets take midfield for example....

Poland, Flynn, McEvoy, Mooney. Not 1 of them is of intercounty MF standard.

Antrim have big McKeever
Fermanagh have Jones & Donnelly
Derry have Glass

Who are all these mystical players we seemingly cant get onto the panel? And dont start this Kilcoo BS again...

Truth hurts

well the 3 Johnstons, Connaire Harrison, Pat Havern, Sean Dornan, Dabs Brannigan and Johny Parr are some that quickly spring to mind.

And yes I know Johny is not playing with Rostrevor but for me, he is the best keeper in the county

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 09, 2021, 11:51:20 AM
well the 3 Johnstons, Connaire Harrison, Pat Havern, Sean Dornan, Dabs Brannigan and Johny Parr are some that quickly spring to mind.

And yes I know Johny is not playing with Rostrevor but for me, he is the best keeper in the county

You think Tally should of got a man playing county that doesn't even play club football?

Is there any indication that the other 7 you mention will play now that Tally is gone? Or that Tally had anything to do with them not being there? I'm not saying they won't but if we're here this time next year talking about players not playing for a manager we have to start asking a different question.

Down just don't have enough star players at the minute to compete at a decent level. Hopefully there's more coming through now, I haven't seen as much club football over the last year as I would have previously. Down have a good few good players that will work hard and do a job but you need more X factor players with them. Look at the difference Marty Clarke made to the team in 2010. All of a sudden Benny wasn't on his own, or teams couldn't just concentrate on stopping Benny alone. Ambrose was a step above most around the middle too.

Centre 3/4

Harrison havern dornan all injuries, Dabs has never committed for any manager, and kilcoo boys flit in and out as they please as if it's up to someone to convince them that playing for Down isn't beneath them. Not as easy as it sounds

Truth hurts

Harrison cant be injured as he is playing for Dromara Village at soccer. Has he played for Glasdrumman this season?

Truth hurts

Good luck to Conor Laverty and his team tonight