Who invented the solo

Started by tc_manchester, July 04, 2014, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc_manchester

just had a look at the 2 games from youtube from 1935 and didn't spot one solo among them. Skip to Cavan semi in 1949 and one brave man attempts 3 solos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaU-Q8MDAbU - Anybody know who first started the solo?

mylestheslasher

Larry Reilly went back in time and introduced the solo to the Cavan team in 1947 helping them to win the AI in the polo grounds.

moysider

'Twas a Mayo man called Baller Lavin.

tc_manchester

Cheers Moysider - just found more info - sounds like he was some man http://kiltimagh.net/people/SeanLavan.html

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on July 04, 2014, 01:54:04 PM

'Twas a Mayo man called Baller Lavin.

When I saw this I remembered the name Lavin but couldn't think of the name "Baller". There used to be a piece about him fairly regularly in programmes at Mayo games over the years

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Don Corleone

Among the 1st. to adapt/adopt and perfect it was Iggy Jones of Tyrone in the mid-fifties. Apologies, I can't go back any further but Jones was quite skillful and made good use of it.
In latter years (90's) Gerry Flanagan, the abrasive Leitrim wing-back, added another dimension to it. As he scurried forward, swatting away half-hearted "tackles" from lesser abrasive Rossies, Gerry would occasionally allow his arms to drop, simulating a solo-attempt, as his outstretched left arm indicated "Forward Lads"....

Syferus will provide a more biased view of what's commonly known as "The Gerry Flanagan Solo"..... 8)
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Yeah, it is credited to Seán Lavan from Mayo in a semi final against Dublin in 1921 or 22. It changed Football for sure but its impact was never fully felt until years later. I would say the likes of the Down team of the 60's and a few other teams around that era, Kerry, Cork, Galway to an extent, Red Colier from Meath..all were very influential in making the solo run more common place in the modern game.

For those interested, a DVD released a few years back of the 1947 Polo grounds final shows Batt Garvey from Dingle soloing through and sticking a goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5nvWXLLD0k#t=1m45s
A lot of stories from that great tome by Raymond Smith - The Football Immortals mention some of the early pioneers of the solo run.
I have to get the old fella to root out that book at home somewhere, it has some magic stories.

The grandfather always told and expanded on the one of how (in his words) Antrim would have won the AI in 1946, except they made the fatal mistake of coming down to Listowel to play Kerry in a challenge match in June I think that year. They were one of the first teams to practice the 1-2 passing move and it totally bewildered Kerry who were beaten out the gate by 15 points or so in that game. When the teams met later in the AI Semi final, again to paraphrase my grandad, "they tried to play the 1-2 again, only they didn't get past 1!!". Kerry basically ploughed into the fella going for the return pass all day which was somehow seen as legit (or just not punished) at the time and Kerry won easily.
I got the feeling hearing some of those stories that Gaelic Football could have been a pretty dangerous pursuit in those days.  :o
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

ONeill

My granda says Iggy Jones soloed from Dungannon to Croke Park to loosen up before a semi final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Denn Forever

It's hard to imagine football without soloing.  You learn something every day.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on July 05, 2014, 09:46:15 AM
My granda says Iggy Jones soloed from Dungannon to Croke Park to loosen up before a semi final.

Mick O'Connell used to solo across to the mainland from Valentia before every game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2014, 05:59:16 PM

Mick O'Connell used to solo across to the mainland from Valentia before every game.

And I bet he still had that bould scowl on his face the whole time too.

Hardy

Sometimes he wouldn't even bother with a ball.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on July 05, 2014, 07:33:45 PM

Sometimes he wouldn't even bother with a ball.

Meh.

Larry Reilly's early experimentation with the solo created the Solar System.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Micko walked on water, he didn't need to run.