Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthe40

bogball88

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 13, 2023, 09:25:38 AM
Conor Shields has reportedly left the panel which is a strange one. I believe he was on the bench for the last 2 games so a bit of a surprise departure. Am I correct in saying that if you are part of a match day 26, that rules you out of transferring to the US? Is that correct?

The injury is Conor Cush. Has been out for 8/10 weeks with a stress fracture in his foot and hurt it again in U20 final last week in his first game back  - now possibly requires surgery and likely out for the season

I know they are not key men but the panel numbers must be low 30's at best currently. Surely one or two need called up to insure we can have competitive in house games.
Forgot he was on the panel

Long time since Cush appeared as well

rrhf

I think we need to look at the release players back to their clubs more next year.
The days of sitting on a county training  panel for more than a year or two seem to over. Fair play to those who stay in.

WeGoAgain

Quote from: rrhf on June 14, 2023, 11:07:50 AM
I think we need to look at the release players back to their clubs more next year.
The days of sitting on a county training  panel for more than a year or two seem to over. Fair play to those who stay in.

Down seem to be following this approach this year releasing players named outside of the first 18 to play for their clubs. Seems to have been mixed success for them. A few players have picked up knocks but some players seem to have played well and has meant they have got minutes for the county that they may not have got previously. Hopefully Tyrone will adopt a similar approach but I would be very surprised if they do

God14

Quote from: WeGoAgain on June 14, 2023, 01:13:16 PM

Down seem to be following this approach this year releasing players named outside of the first 18 to play for their clubs. Seems to have been mixed success for them. A few players have picked up knocks but some players seem to have played well and has meant they have got minutes for the county that they may not have got previously. Hopefully Tyrone will adopt a similar approach but I would be very surprised if they do

yeah seen that. How did they come to the figure of 18 though?

WeGoAgain

Quote from: God14 on June 14, 2023, 01:38:04 PM

Surely the county management would have a good idea of what the first 15 would be. There may be one or two positions that a couple of people could be competing for. With Tyrone if everyone was fully fit you could be fairly confident of naming 18 players that would be likely to play. Hasn't changed an awful lot in the last few years

Redhand Santa

It's a bit easier for Down in the second tier. I don't think any top county would adopt the approach. But there definitely is a strong case to release players who don't make the 26 for a match for that weekends games.

Or if the county had a Saturday game let any that played less than 20 minutes play a league game on the Sunday (assuming some could be played on a Sunday).

God14

Quote from: WeGoAgain on June 14, 2023, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: God14 on June 14, 2023, 01:38:04 PM

Surely the county management would have a good idea of what the first 15 would be. There may be one or two positions that a couple of people could be competing for. With Tyrone if everyone was fully fit you could be fairly confident of naming 18 players that would be likely to play. Hasn't changed an awful lot in the last few years

fair enough, i was just wondering why 18 - as in not 17 or 19.

yeah i think its a good enough system. Your first 15 players, and the 3 most likely to come on

omagh_gael

It would completely balls up the starred system for club games though.

WeGoAgain

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 14, 2023, 03:44:22 PM

Maybe but so does the current approach of players leaving the county panel as soon as the club league starts

Mikhailov

Says the man whose club benefit greatly from the starred system, due to no county players

omagh_gael

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 14, 2023, 04:19:58 PM

Says the man whose club benefit greatly from the starred system, due to no county players

I'm not arguing either for or against just stating facts that the current starred system will be difficult to maintain if there were different county players available week to week dependent on who would be released for club games.

square_ball

A start for Ruairi Canavan at number 12 on Sunday. Good to see it.

Rois

Club Tyrone business breakfast with Peter Canavan and others on this day next week at Garvaghey - all welcome (no charge). RSVP to club.tyrone@gaa.ie
See Club Tyrone GAA LinkedIn page for more details.

God14

Quote from: square_ball on June 16, 2023, 11:04:31 AM
A start for Ruairi Canavan at number 12 on Sunday. Good to see it.

Great to see. I know the numbers on jerseys mean nothing these days, but where do you think he will play? When you compare this line out to the one that took on Monaghan in the championship a few weeks ago, there does feel to be more of a scoring threat now.  Aidan Clarke makes the bench, in for Shields. Good to see