Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 2768708 times)

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #9960 on: June 26, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »
Malachy O'Rourke has done a great job the past few years and is the one manager I would be keen to see take over the reigns.  Harte has had his time.  Agree on the youth development, is it a coincidence that the main players of the 04, 08 and 10 minor wins never got going with the senior team under Harte?  I don't think so.

Is it a coincidence that those teams all failed at u21 level where the players struggled in which Harte had nothing to do with in the 3 years after minor level? And it's not as if none of them have made the step up - the likes of Colm Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Peter Harte, Sludden etc have gone on to win ulster titles and play in an all Ireland final last year. A number of the 2015 all Ireland winning players have also made the breakthrough.

I'm assuming them players making it was nothing to do with Harte but the players who didn't make it where down to him?

There's a huge gap from minor to senior and many many players from all counties don't make it.

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: June 26, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
Malachy O'Rourke has done a great job the past few years and is the one manager I would be keen to see take over the reigns.  Harte has had his time.  Agree on the youth development, is it a coincidence that the main players of the 04, 08 and 10 minor wins never got going with the senior team under Harte?  I don't think so.
Did any of those teams do it at u21?
The teams that did it u-21 are the teams that have backboned our most successful Senior teams, Danny Balls in 1995, Mickey Hartes in 2003,. 2005 & 2008 and Feargal Logans in 2019.

Don't disagree that a fresh voice and fresh eyes would do the world of good to freshen things up.

WT4E

• View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: June 26, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »
Stars could be aligning..... Tyrone don't make super 8s..... Mickey goes.... Orourke comes in?

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: June 26, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
Stars could be aligning..... Tyrone don't make super 8s..... Mickey goes.... Orourke comes in?
sounds good. Prob more like, Tyrone don't make super 8s... Mickey won't go...o rourke goes elsewhere.

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: June 27, 2019, 12:18:35 AM »
I donít believe the Tyrone GAA population  are ready to accept an outside manager if Micky was to go at the end of this year.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: June 27, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »
MOR has lived in Tyrone for what most of his life.
Played for and managed Errigal.
Dont think you could really call him an outside manager

That is unless you mean that he hasn't managed county youth teams by way of an apprenticeship so he is an outside to the county setup?

Jim Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: June 27, 2019, 06:46:51 AM »

That is unless you mean that he hasn't managed county youth teams by way of an apprenticeship so he is an outside to the county setup?

Heís not a Tyrone man !!!

tc_manchester

• View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: June 27, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »
Neither was Red Donnelly

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: June 27, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »

Heís not a Tyrone man !!!
hes not a Monaghan man either and he done them no harm.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: June 27, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
Tyrone would be very foolish to not make tentative inquiries as to O'Rourke interest / intentions.

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: June 27, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
His Errigal background will surely give him an outside chance, Mickys list probably something like
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

WT4E

• View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
His Errigal background will surely give him an outside chance, Mickys list probably something like
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

;D ;D

Can you imagine! It would be hilarious!

bigtogs

• View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: June 27, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
1 Peter
2 Mark
3 Pascal
4 Tiffy
5 MOR

;D ;D

Can you imagine! It would be hilarious!

It sure would!!!

Fuzzman

• Aughabrack (Tyrone Not Cork)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: June 27, 2019, 04:54:21 PM »
Are many of ye worried about losing this one lads?
It's hard to know where we're at as we seem to be coasting all year and Donegal showed us up how poor we can be.
The question is can we turn it on when we need to and is this the game that could be where we get caught out.
I am usually optimistic but I was worried going into the Donegal game and I'm the same for this one.
Too many of our usual big game players are not performing. Mattie and Sludden have been quiet all year.
Midfield was totally cleaned out against Donegal and whilst I want young Kennedy to do well, he just seems too young or inexperienced and not using his height and strength like you would hope he would.

McShane is the only one showing week in week out of a player on top  of his game and Cassidy has done quite well this year.
Coney has done nothing really though not getting much game time and Petey looks good in fits and starts but can't afford another black or red card.
I am certainly worried about this game this Sat and it would be a sad way to go out so early with many having their focus further down the season rather than on the ball.

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: June 27, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
I think if the attitude is right we should have enough to win this game. In 2018 we started the league very slowly and finished it well, the same come the championship. In 2019 we started the league very poorly and finished it excellently. We've then had a poor start to the championship. I don't know if it's the training that is causing the slow start to competitions or if it's down to mental sharpness.  A lot of the players have been involved for a number of seasons and perhaps they need the pressure of relegation or knockout football to deliver their best form. It is possibly a combination of both.

Last year we struggled through the first 3 rounds of the qualifiers. At this stage last year we were unconvincing in defeating Cavan in Enniskillen. It took until round 4 before the team laid down a bit of a marker. Going to Kildare is a tougher assignment that facing Cavan of last year so the team will have to be on their game to come out of this one. Injuries are a bit of a problem as well as the loss of Bradley and Brennan last year.

I do think we'll see some improvement this week. The team have shown when there backs are to the wall that they can dig out performances. Monaghan in the league was a perfect example after a terrible start to it. Kildare is another good championship venue to visit and hopefully we'll be back in the draw Monday morning.