Any landlords on here?

Started by Rois, June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

I'm about to rent out my house for the first time and was hoping for a few words of wisdom, having never done this before.

Using an agent to let it but need to know about insurance, safety certificates etc.  Anyone able to help?

Muzz

How many people are you for renting to or are they all in the same family?

A landlord must comply with HMO regulations now.  If you have 2 or less renting then you need only comply and not register.  If you have 3 (and one of these are not you) or more you will need to comply and also to register.  Register is £125 per tenant though this lasts you for 5 years.  if you are renting to a family then this is different. 

I have just went through it in Belfast and I live in the house.  Cost me about £1000 to put it into shape and my house was one of the few the guy said needed little work.  So god knows for someone that needs a lot of work.

Your insurance needs to cover you not living there.  Landlord insurance you will require.  I can combine my home and landlord insurance as I still live there.

heffo

Rois

Canalman

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM
I'm about to rent out my house for the first time and was hoping for a few words of wisdom, having never done this before.

Using an agent to let it but need to know about insurance, safety certificates etc.  Anyone able to help?

Some tips

1 Make copies of all keys in the house/apartment beforehand
2 Photograph all rooms before you let tenants in and keep photos safe
3 Make sure there are vents in all rooms and make sure lease says they are not to be taped up or blocked
4 Double bracket things like curtin poles/ blinds etc
5 Upgrade your insurance to landlord type.

heffo

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:22:50 PM
Sorry - North (Belfast).

Can help with general tips and specific renting questions but not with UK legislation

southdown

NI are now in line with England/Wales (as far as I am aware) in that all deposits are to be placed in the government deposit scheme.  Iv sued various English landlords for not complying with this, and the things is that most Landlords claim never to have heard of the legislation.  Not to be ignored.

http://mydepositsni.co.uk/

LeoMc

Does this only apply to new rental agreements or is it retrospective?

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

Make sure the electricity is a card meter

Rois

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc link=topic=23364.msg1243671#msg1243671
/quote]

Good point - brother-in-law works in Power NI billing so can get that sorted easy enough (I hope!).

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc link=topic=23364.msg1243671#msg1243671
/quote]

Good point - brother-in-law works in Power NI billing so can get that sorted easy enough (I hope!).

They switch it over for free. 

Rois

Even better!  He has a meter in his own house so it must be efficient enough - plus you can stock up when the electricity price is going to go up!  I will get onto that as soon as possible.

Minder

Do a credit check on any prospective tenants
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Apparently so

Take a shite in the living room

Ulick

Have been renting a house in south Belfast for about 5 years now. Have never needed an agent. If you keep the house in good nick it'll sell itself on Gumtree in no time. Never heard of any of this HMO stuff before but then I've only ever rented to couples. Landlords insurance is available for about £10 per month and when you take it out they'll send you a certificate to display in the house so that anyone you hire to carry out work is covered (I've never displayed it). Best tip I could give work be to get to know some good trustworthy tradesmen - plumber, electrician and builder - people you can trust to do work in your absence and not stick the arm in. My electrician and builder are both in the south of the city but I use a plumber from the Antrim Rd. If you want his number let me know. I use a lease from the Housing Executive website. Leases aren't actually binding in law as far as I know but they let everyone know where they stand.