The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v Crossmaglen Rangers

Harps entertained All Ireland Club Champions Crossmaglen Rangers in Abbey Park this afternoon and suffered a seven point defeat in a match that never reached any great heights. The match had the feel of an end of season fixture with nothing to play for. Harps are safe from relegation and Rangers have their eyes firmly set on next week's showdown with Pearse Og.

Harps, in perfect conditions for football, started off attacking the dressing room goals. Rangers though had the first attempt, but a long range free drifted wide. Harpo responded with Harps' first wide before Joe Quigley opened the scoring with an excellent long range free. Rangers equalised with a point from a free of their own and in the next attack struck for a goal. Stephen Kernan raced in on goal and struck a powerful shot that was brilliantly saved by Gareth Richards. Unfortunately the ball ran loose and the corner forward side footed into the net from close range.  McKenna added a point for Cross, and after another wide, Harpo pointed when a goal looked there for the taking. Rangers returned to the attack and were denied another goal by an absolutely sensational point blank save from Gareth Richards. Play at this stage became very scrappy, with both sides guilty of terrible shooting. Cross did manage another point and although Harps began to dominate, all they had to show for their efforts were five wides in a row. Cross added a wide of their own before adding two points from Stephen Kernan and Cathal Shortt, and the Harps finished the half with two further wides to bring our tally of wides at the interval to ten.

Half time, Harps 0-02, Crossmaglen Rangers 1-05.

Harps introduced young Ultan Lennon for his Senior debut, in a swap with Matt Cartmill. Play though continued to be of a poor standard from both sides. The first six attempts at goal were all wides (four for Cross), before Joe Quigley opened the second half scoring with a point from a free. Charlie Vernon added a lovely point from the kick out to give the Harps' support hope, but Rangers returned to the attack and added a point from a free, which was moved up into a scoreable position because of idiotic back chat to the ref. Rangers had another wide before they added an excellent long range point. Both side swapped wides before Harps made another switch; Neil McArdle coming in for Kevin Daly. Ciaran Clifford then had a bad wide from a very scoreable free before Simon Lennon scored a nice point from thirty yards. Cross added another point from their number twelve, and following a wide scored their ninth point through McKenna. Harps at this stage appeared to have accepted defeat, and this was reflected in the careless manner in which Joe Quigley put a straightforward twenty one yard free wide. Cross responded with yet another wide, before they added a point from a fifty. Harps added a consolation point right at the death – a score for debutant Ultan Lennon from a thirty yard free, that brought the biggest cheer of the day for the home crowd.

Final score, Harps 0-06, Crossmaglen Rangers 1-10.

As stated, this was a disappointing game, and it appeared that both sides, which were significantly understrength, had their minds elsewhere. Harps can point to their fifteen wides as the reason for their defeat, but Crossmaglen's shooting wasn't much better, with their wides tally standing at thirteen. Best for the Harps wereGareth Richards in nets, Martin Gill in defence and Harpo in attack. For sheer effort alone though, our man of the match was Joe Quigley who run himself into the ground up front.

The Harps lined out as follows. Gareth Richards, Jungle McKee, Martin Gill, Fergus McAleavey, Kevin Daly (Neil McArdle), Smackers McAnaney, Chuckie Morris, Charlie Vernon 0-1, Simon Lennon 0-1, Ebbie Toal, Harpo McKenna 0-1, Joe Quigley 0-2 (0-2 frees), Matthew Cartmill (Ultan Lennon 0-1), Gerard McDonagh and Ciaran Cifford.

Scarface

'For sheer effort alone though, our man of the match was Joe Quigley who run himself into the ground up front' - Rufus you must have missed most of the game - wee Joe who is a great lad and really good player had a real stinker yesterday including missing a 14 yard free in front of the posts. The MOM was Martin Gill and there were no other contenders at all. I know 2 people can see totally different things from a match but that is taking the biscuit!!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Scarface on September 24, 2007, 08:57:58 AM
'For sheer effort alone though, our man of the match was Joe Quigley who run himself into the ground up front' - Rufus you must have missed most of the game - wee Joe who is a great lad and really good player had a real stinker yesterday including missing a 14 yard free in front of the posts. The MOM was Martin Gill and there were no other contenders at all. I know 2 people can see totally different things from a match but that is taking the biscuit!!!

Marty had a very good game no doubt. To deal with your point though would entail me giving my reasons and I will not sit here, on a public forum and make a critical analysis of his performance to justify my own opinion - you saw the match, you have your opinion - Joe Quigley was, in my opinion, Harps' man of the match - simple as that.

giveherlong

Who's the former Armagh Harps player now playing for coalisland?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: giveherlong on September 24, 2007, 10:23:12 AM
Who's the former Armagh Harps player now playing for coalisland?

Damian Jordan

Spiritof98

Best of luck to Shoot.

Has he been featuring
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Abble

alright there spirit. yeah, he's been playing all year....doin well. played mostly between chb and fb.

Spiritof98

Great stuff, Pity its not for us, but thats another story.

When is the final, I'll take a trip to that.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Abble

Candyman

A quick note.....
For anyone that doesnt know the Harps ladies are playing the mens team of '89 in abbey park next sunday (7th October) Time to be confirmed or maybe someone on here can confirm it???
should be a bit of craic with some of the 'ladies' that will be playing....  ;)

stew

Quote from: Candyman on September 24, 2007, 12:03:44 PM
A quick note.....
For anyone that doesnt know the Harps ladies are playing the mens team of '89 in abbey park next sunday (7th October) Time to be confirmed or maybe someone on here can confirm it???
should be a bit of craic with some of the 'ladies' that will be playing....  ;)

Now theres a match worth watching. I am sure every one of the wemen will love tackling Egg and he can expect to be closely marked during the encounter.

FFS dont start stumpy, he will keel over dead the ballix but head will probably feature and dominate, benny O'Kane and the McCoys are in fine fettle and the wemen have no chance. I would pay big money to have a dvd of that match, it will be some craic and i am sad for missing it. :'(

That will be a great night in the club after.

here, the boys are lucky they are not playing the Ogs wemen  :-[
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Scarface

Rufus,

it's not a big deal - i will not fall out with you over it. Thanks for pointing out that we were on a public forum - did not know that.  ;)
In hindsight there was not much point in playing the game was there? Thought Cross would have played a strong team and went at it hammer and tongs but they did not. Harps also played with not much desire. Pretty rubbish game really.

fcuksake

Quote from: Scarface on September 25, 2007, 01:32:14 PM
Rufus,

it's not a big deal - i will not fall out with you over it. Thanks for pointing out that we were on a public forum - did not know that.  ;)
In hindsight there was not much point in playing the game was there? Thought Cross would have played a strong team and went at it hammer and tongs but they did not. Harps also played with not much desire. Pretty rubbish game really.

yeh, Cross would really come to Abbey Pk a week before the county final and show their hand for all to see....wise up!

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Scarface

Wise up yourself you root!!! Everyone knows their 'hand' - they just cannot beat it.

Candyman

last 3 or 4 posts.... Harps all over!!!  ::)