Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The reason why it's not going to happen is because as county (a group of clubs) we collectively seem unwilling to consider and challenge the reasons why u20 county football would take precedence over senior club football.

Do I want our county to win championships? Yes.
Did i tune in each of the last two Fridays with a sense of expectation and later a sense of pride? Yes.

Do I think the absolute pursuit of this goal is worthy of obliterating the short window in which a club football season can take place? Absolutely no way.

Am I disgusted that players are being denied to their clubs 8 days before an underage county match, which as a decision means there's no chance for the rest of this series of meeting halfway, bargaining, or showing of common sense anywhere ? Absolutely f**king yes.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2021, 01:42:40 PM
The reason why it's not going to happen is because as county (a group of clubs) we collectively seem unwilling to consider and challenge the reasons why u20 county football would take precedence over senior club football.

Do I want our county to win championships? Yes.
Did i tune in each of the last two Fridays with a sense of expectation and later a sense of pride? Yes.

Do I think the absolute pursuit of this goal is worthy of obliterating the short window in which a club football season can take place? Absolutely no way.

Am I disgusted that players are being denied to their clubs 8 days before an underage county match, which as a decision means there's no chance for the rest of this series of meeting halfway, bargaining, or showing of common sense anywhere ? Absolutely f**king yes.

Has your club made these views known or is that a personal opinion. The leagues should be starting on Friday, every single game.

stiff breeze

Simple solution . Games should be starred and play on . Most of the teams in div 2/3 are affected by 1 and at most 2 starters . By changing the games they may be missing 1/2 of the of players who are available and fit now . Any division 1 team should be able to withstand the loss of a few 20 year old lads . Clubs with panels of 30+ saying they can't play and then saying they are thinking of their team ... managers thinking of themselves . Star the games , think of the players who want to play and play on

thewobbler

Ordinarily I'd agree with you Stiffbreeze. Managers have spent my whole life trying to get out of matches instead of just playing the fecking things.

But this year is a nine match, no play-off format, where 20% of the teams get relegated - and potentially three of those nine games could be starred.

We've created a situation whereby an adjustment of a single defeat into a draw will be vital for half the clubs in the county (indeed, scoring difference in any given match could prove vital).

So asking managers to plough on with this now is a bit like dealing a massive hand, then allowing some teams to change cards, and others not to. That's not on.

stiff breeze

Has that not always been the case ? Some teams with league winning aspirations and some with survival aspirations get shafted due to county players on their squad and some dont ? And again we are talking about under 20 lads here in senior teams not county seniors, huge difference .

thewobbler

But you can't compare a 9-game season that was scheduled to run off 9 over 7 weeks, with a 22 game game season that was run off offer 6 months and culminated in playoffs at the end as a safety net.

The playoffs and the starred system really do kind of need each other, in times of county success.

stiff breeze

Promote and relegate only 1 and playoff with top 2 and bottom 2 then . Games go ahead and 1 extra game

Truth hurts

Quote from: stiff breeze on July 21, 2021, 04:00:34 PM
Promote and relegate only 1 and playoff with top 2 and bottom 2 then . Games go ahead and 1 extra game

That would not solve anything as the margin for error would be so tight. In a 5 game league, 5 wins would see you safe.

I have yet to see a better idea than not having relegation and still have a promotion.

stiff breeze

I'm a 9 game league 5 wins would see you safe no matter what . No relegation will mean meaningless games and teams not fielding due to nothing to play for after 5 games .  With or without a few 20 year olds for 4 games the worst teams will end up at the bottom and the better at the top as usually happens in any league . The playoff game is just to give each team involved a fair crack at survival or promotion with their full panel . The main pluses to that system are it allows us to carry on regardless of county and leaves the league competitive

Truth hurts

Quote from: stiff breeze on July 21, 2021, 04:34:58 PM
I'm a 9 game league 5 wins would see you safe no matter what . No relegation will mean meaningless games and teams not fielding due to nothing to play for after 5 games .  With or without a few 20 year olds for 4 games the worst teams will end up at the bottom and the better at the top as usually happens in any league . The playoff game is just to give each team involved a fair crack at survival or promotion with their full panel . The main pluses to that system are it allows us to carry on regardless of county and leaves the league competitive

Teams will field as all games are played before the championship.

Smurfy123

If someone in the county board would come out and admit they made an absolute balls of the leagues. Corn an Duin started 9 weeks ago why could the leagues not have started with 18 games and the normal started system like every year?
In a 9 game league as was mentioned here every point is vital
In this weather what a disaster that we will have no matches to attend on Friday

redandblackareback

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 21, 2021, 05:38:57 PM
If someone in the county board would come out and admit they made an absolute balls of the leagues. Corn an Duin started 9 weeks ago why could the leagues not have started with 18 games and the normal started system like every year?
In this weather what a disaster that we will have no matches to attend on Friday

They didn't make a balls of the leagues, at the time it was the right call but unfortunately covid has raised its head again and we didn't make hay while the sun shined so therefore we have no competitive football played and it's frustrating for everyone involved.

Covid is one thing but clubs being held to ransom by an u20 development squad is a bigger issue. Surprised clubs allowing this to happen. Outcome of tonight's meeting will be interesting.

Truth hurts

Quote from: redandblackareback on July 22, 2021, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 21, 2021, 05:38:57 PM

They didn't make a balls of the leagues, at the time it was the right call but unfortunately covid has raised its head again and we didn't make hay while the sun shined so therefore we have no competitive football played and it's frustrating for everyone involved.

Covid is one thing but clubs being held to ransom by an u20 development squad is a bigger issue. Surprised clubs allowing this to happen. Outcome of tonight's meeting will be interesting.

Next season the county board will have to tell the senior and u20 that club players have to play in club league and not play 14 days before championship games, get back to the starred system.
This season we need a quick fix to get the games up and running and there is only one real option.

Smurfy123

How did they not make a balls of it?
How was it not the right time to start the league at the start of May?
Why not start the league instead of a Mickey Mouse competition that wasn't taking seriously

Johnnysboys

County board meeting tonight has given a few surprises.. no relegation this year from division 1 and going back to 12 teams next year.. senior matches start next Thursday night.. obviously starred for u20 panel.. let the chastising begin....