Score the season 1-5

11 (24.4%)
7 (15.6%)
12 (26.7%)
6 (13.3%)
9 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 45

magickingdom

well now that its over for another year how would people rate the season? does the fact that we could all name 4 of the top 6 and 4 of the bottom 6 in next seasons table mean its crap. in the US the NFL have a very successful salary cap system in place which makes it more of a level playing field, would that improve the premiership? any other suggestions that might improve it?

The Real Laoislad

Its actually called the Premier League now  :P

I think its been a fairly average season to be honest as you say the top 4 are the usual suspects and will be again next but in a different order I'm sure  ;)
No real stand out classic games spring to mind,Imho Arsenal have played the classiest football of the season and i think they could win it next year if they keep the bulk of the squad and if Wenger spends a few quid to strengthen his team
Not sure next year will be any better certainly not with the likes of Bristol or Hull City likely to be promoted i can't see them making any difference..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Farrandeelin

Despite my allegiances with Man Utd, I have to echo what has been said here. We always knew Liverpool would get 4th spot, we all knew Derby County would go down. We all knew Middlesbrough and Spurs and West Ham wouldfinish mid-table. Predictable league yes it is. Maybe there's more quality in the top teams but the rest are getting left behind imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Leo

Big mover in 2009 will be Aston Villa....

18th when O'Neill took over, 11th in 2006, 6th in 2008 with the smallest squad in the league and no sign of the big Amercian bucks he was promised (but has't complained about - unlike Benitez). What odds they will dsplace Liverpool in the top 4 next season?

That point of interest apart it's been a dull year.

2009 will also see Man City relegated along with Bolton and 2 of the promoted teams.
Fierce tame altogether

blasmere

Quote from: Leo on May 13, 2008, 01:48:19 PM
Big mover in 2009 will be Aston Villa....

18th when O'Neill took over, 11th in 2006, 6th in 2008 with the smallest squad in the league and no sign of the big Amercian bucks he was promised (but has't complained about - unlike Benitez). What odds they will dsplace Liverpool in the top 4 next season?

That point of interest apart it's been a dull year.

2009 will also see Man City relegated along with Bolton and 2 of the promoted teams.

That would make 4 teams, only 3 go down
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Farrandeelin

Leo, unless there is awful turmoil at Liverpool, Villa will only displace Everton for fifth spot. That's my opinion anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 13, 2008, 02:35:49 PM
Leo, unless there is awful turmoil at Liverpool, Villa will only displace Everton for fifth spot. That's my opinion anyway.

Its also a fact.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: magickingdom on May 12, 2008, 06:58:59 PM
well now that its over for another year how would people rate the season? does the fact that we could all name 4 of the top 6 and 4 of the bottom 6 in next seasons table mean its crap. in the US the NFL have a very successful salary cap system in place which makes it more of a level playing field, would that improve the premiership? any other suggestions that might improve it?

It'd have to be implemented world-wide across soccer - it won't work otherwise

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 13, 2008, 03:11:13 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on May 12, 2008, 06:58:59 PM

It'd have to be implemented world-wide across soccer - it won't work otherwise
It's really boring, I rarely look at it anymore, it's got to the stage where the results will do me - somebody texted me something on sunday as utd won the league and it took a while for me to figure out what they were on about.  I've very little interest in watching the champions league final either next week, but I'm looking forward to the euro championships tbh.  Despite what Wenger/Ferguson et al may say about the quality of international football, it's more interesting.  I think soccer is destroying itself at the moment, and comments like those ferguson made about international football and so show that they've lost sight of what the appeal once was.
Imo, a salary cap of some sort has to be the way forward.
As a matter of interest, how much longer do people think soccer will be popular?  I wouldn't give it much more than 100 years - anyone else hazard a guess?

AZOffaly

I used to be a complete nut for soccer. I'd watch every game on TV I could get, and be listening to 5Live on the radio for games that weren't on. I think 3 things in particular have happened which have helped turn me off soccer almost completely, although I would still watch the big games, and I like the international tournaments.

1) Crazy money. Players move from club to club now at the drop of a hat. There's very few exceptions that prove the rule, but in general players, agents, owners and managers are all chasing the almighty pound, and it is less of a sport, and more of a business now.

2) TV Saturation. Hand in hand, and probably the cause of, the crazy money in the game is the saturation coverage. Every game has cameras at it, and there's probably at least 6 or 7 live games on a week when the season is in full swing. That just wears you out, and you lose interest.

3) Diving and cheating. This is my biggest pet hate at the moment. Diving, cheating, feigning injury, asking for opponents to be booked (I'd break the fingers of the first lad that did that imaginary card waving shit at me if I was a ref) etc etc. Sickens my stomach to see big, strong, fit young lads rolling around on the ground like a casualty from Dunkirk after the slightest foul, or even fair, challenge.

Uladh

With the news that west ham are soon to unveil gianfranco zola as their new boss, i have to ask where is the foresight or plain common sense any more. if these clubs would take a simple look at what type of background makes for the the best managers in the premiership then its obvious that these big name ex players rarely succeed.

feguson, wenger, o'neill, moyes, benitez, allardyce... al men who worked their way to the top having gained valuable experience and success in more competitive less glamorous environments.

full back

Billys Boots

Apparently there's an Italian 'Director of Football' at West Ham, so the appointment of Zola or Donadoni was pretty much definite.  It appears Curbishley didn't get on with him at all, and couldn't wait to get away.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Uladh

Yeah, curbishly forewent a sizable payoff by resigning, which is unusual in this day and age. that in itself tells you how determined he was to get out.

stpauls