Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

I think you Tyronies are reading too much into this defeat at the weekend.  As a neutral observer of the game, my thoughts were the following:

•   You lost to a well drilled Donegal team who have been playing a type of football they have been developing over the last few years. 
•   You had a man down for the majority of the second half and lost by 2 points. 
•   You have new management in their first competitive game with a vastly reduced pre-season. 

On paper, you shouldn't have been winning this game, so getting beat by 2points by a (in my opinion) top 3 team in the country isn't the worst result. 
If all goes to script in the championship, Tyrone and Donegal will meet in the semi final, so Saturday may have been some shadow boxing by the Tyrone management. 

Anyone with a football head knows that deploying McKenna in full forward against a defensive minded Donegal team is going to negate his impact big time.  Donegal know what he is about for sure, but moving him out the pitch will just give his man marker a dress rehearsal of what is to come down the line, so it was shrewd enough for them to say "sit in there today". 

Now a defeat to Armagh (who are getting competitive again to some degree) on Saturday night would be more cause for concern. 

Side note - although you don't see ever tug, nip, or stop on a player throughout the course of a match, McHugh going down soft for that second yellow really put a black mark against his name.  I think any referee who has viewed that will be viewing tackles against him in future as "boy who cried wolf" if he goes down, hard tackle or not. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on May 18, 2021, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2021, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 18, 2021, 10:22:43 AM
I think it's just frustration at the much a muchness players. These players are all top level, don't make that mistake but sometimes Tyrone could be a bit more adventurous in picking an attacking player over say, one of the attritional men. But it's not a normal situation at present.

Can't really say much, the new management have been dealt a tricky enough task. 4 Ulster clashes in a row in your first 4 games (assuming no qualification in league) is hard to implement anything other than what you know. You are straight into a dogfight and no matter what they say, they won't want to make a habit of losing straight in the door.

Our forward line on Saturday had 4 defenders in it.

Correct - we were unhappy for the latter part of the Harte years because we were too cautious.

Going by the game Saturday not much has changed.

The top teams go for the jugular - we are happy to scrape by and win games and the new management are not differing.

We need to play more forwards

Can't blame the new men for going cautious, Donegal are a better team than Tyrone - they are with their current management longer and have got an awful lot of experience - you could argue even more than Tyrone. They know how to win games in Ulster.

Conor McKenna coming back was never going to be the click the fingers moment most had hoped for but he's definitely come back better than I thought but Donegal were well ready for him after last year.

McShane would have made that a different game, the space alone he would have produced. It's exciting to think what could be around the corner.

It's not all doom and gloom, you don't know what goes on at training and how fit certain players may or may not be. With the Championship being straight knockout I doubt they'll want to give much away to Cavan either. They will get it tight against Armagh next too, Armagh will be mad looking to put a statement out there about how they are back so it won't be long until the new management find out who's ready for what they want to do.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 18, 2021, 12:22:09 PM
I think you Tyronies are reading too much into this defeat at the weekend.  As a neutral observer of the game, my thoughts were the following:

•   You lost to a well drilled Donegal team who have been playing a type of football they have been developing over the last few years. 
•   You had a man down for the majority of the second half and lost by 2 points. 
•   You have new management in their first competitive game with a vastly reduced pre-season. 

On paper, you shouldn't have been winning this game, so getting beat by 2points by a (in my opinion) top 3 team in the country isn't the worst result. 
If all goes to script in the championship, Tyrone and Donegal will meet in the semi final, so Saturday may have been some shadow boxing by the Tyrone management. 

Anyone with a football head knows that deploying McKenna in full forward against a defensive minded Donegal team is going to negate his impact big time.  Donegal know what he is about for sure, but moving him out the pitch will just give his man marker a dress rehearsal of what is to come down the line, so it was shrewd enough for them to say "sit in there today". 

Now a defeat to Armagh (who are getting competitive again to some degree) on Saturday night would be more cause for concern. 

Side note - although you don't see ever tug, nip, or stop on a player throughout the course of a match, McHugh going down soft for that second yellow really put a black mark against his name.  I think any referee who has viewed that will be viewing tackles against him in future as "boy who cried wolf" if he goes down, hard tackle or not.
Would agree with all of that.  Tyrone could have won the game while playing with about 5 players in their wrong or borrowed positions;  will get better

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 18, 2021, 12:39:38 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 18, 2021, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2021, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 18, 2021, 10:22:43 AM
I think it's just frustration at the much a muchness players. These players are all top level, don't make that mistake but sometimes Tyrone could be a bit more adventurous in picking an attacking player over say, one of the attritional men. But it's not a normal situation at present.

Can't really say much, the new management have been dealt a tricky enough task. 4 Ulster clashes in a row in your first 4 games (assuming no qualification in league) is hard to implement anything other than what you know. You are straight into a dogfight and no matter what they say, they won't want to make a habit of losing straight in the door.

Our forward line on Saturday had 4 defenders in it.

Correct - we were unhappy for the latter part of the Harte years because we were too cautious.

Going by the game Saturday not much has changed.

The top teams go for the jugular - we are happy to scrape by and win games and the new management are not differing.

We need to play more forwards

Can't blame the new men for going cautious, Donegal are a better team than Tyrone - they are with their current management longer and have got an awful lot of experience - you could argue even more than Tyrone. They know how to win games in Ulster.

Conor McKenna coming back was never going to be the click the fingers moment most had hoped for but he's definitely come back better than I thought but Donegal were well ready for him after last year.

McShane would have made that a different game, the space alone he would have produced. It's exciting to think what could be around the corner.

It's not all doom and gloom, you don't know what goes on at training and how fit certain players may or may not be. With the Championship being straight knockout I doubt they'll want to give much away to Cavan either. They will get it tight against Armagh next too, Armagh will be mad looking to put a statement out there about how they are back so it won't be long until the new management find out who's ready for what they want to do.

We need to play with forwards. f**k sake we have had enough of this shite with Harte. I have been listening to this talk of a coming team this last 4 years. We're not far away, when McKenna is back, when McShane is back, when Bradley is back. f**k me it would make you boke.
If Armagh beat us next week and we're playing 13 forwards in the team, people will quite rightly be asking what the f**k is going on.

Angelo

How do you fit more than 2 of McCurry/Bradley/Brennan/McAliskey/Canavan/O'Neill into a team?

You just can't do it in the modern game I'm afraid and that's where Logan and Dooher are going to have a problem. They are not going to keep all them men happy, Harte got blamed for not utilising those players but they are all to similar in style, small, skillful and elusive but they lack the physicality particularly inside. So it basically boils down to who the management rate and I think Dooher and Logan rate Bradley the highest out of that lot. Harte generally preferred McCurry and McAliskey.

McShane is the key though, he gives us something different inside and hopefully he can return quickly and to his 2019 form. We really lack an alternative there.

I would have to say things aren't looking good for McNulty if he wasn't making the squad at the weekend and was fit. He is the most obvious replacement for McShane and we had McKenna and R Donnelly playing inside on Saturday despite neither of them being inside forwards.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on May 18, 2021, 04:35:15 PM
How do you fit more than 2 of McCurry/Bradley/Brennan/McAliskey/Canavan/O'Neill into a team?

You just can't do it in the modern game I'm afraid and that's where Logan and Dooher are going to have a problem. They are not going to keep all them men happy, Harte got blamed for not utilising those players but they are all to similar in style, small, skillful and elusive but they lack the physicality particularly inside. So it basically boils down to who the management rate and I think Dooher and Logan rate Bradley the highest out of that lot. Harte generally preferred McCurry and McAliskey.

McShane is the key though, he gives us something different inside and hopefully he can return quickly and to his 2019 form. We really lack an alternative there.

I would have to say things aren't looking good for McNulty if he wasn't making the squad at the weekend and was fit. He is the most obvious replacement for McShane and we had McKenna and R Donnelly playing inside on Saturday despite neither of them being inside forwards.

Donegal would have swallowed him up. Armagh would be a better game to let him go.

bigpackiechestout

I've yet to see anyone asking for this. The issue some people have raised (and I'm certainly not being critical after one game but we're allowed to discuss these things) is that Saturday's team included McGeary, Meyler and Richie Donnelly in the forward line, none of whom are natural forwards. When you add to this a midfield of Kennedy and Burns, with Cassidy and O'Neill as your wing backs, that is a fairly defensive team. A lot of people would like to see at least one and possibly two of the guys you mention on from the start and I think it's quite possible we'll get that this weekend.

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 18, 2021, 05:13:43 PM

I've yet to see anyone asking for this. The issue some people have raised (and I'm certainly not being critical after one game but we're allowed to discuss these things) is that Saturday's team included McGeary, Meyler and Richie Donnelly in the forward line, none of whom are natural forwards. When you add to this a midfield of Kennedy and Burns, with Cassidy and O'Neill as your wing backs, that is a fairly defensive team. A lot of people would like to see at least one and possibly two of the guys you mention on from the start and I think it's quite possible we'll get that this weekend.

I agree but I think the team was picked with Donegal in mind, a big physical side as we've been bullied in recent matches. If you look at a lot of the teams posters out forward here, some might have 3 or 4 of those lads starting. The reality is it will be, possibly two.

Cassidy and Harte would be two attacking half backs in my view. Burns wouldn't really be a defensive option at midfield though I don't think he warrants his starting spot.

At the end of the day I don't think the selection backfired that much. A fairly ridiculous sending off had a big impact on the game.

GetOverTheBar

I think 6 is the only position Harte gets a start to be honest, suits his game, intelligent, good passer, rarely gives it away. Does he have a rival at CHB?

NotedObserver

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 18, 2021, 09:45:22 PM
I think 6 is the only position Harte gets a start to be honest, suits his game, intelligent, good passer, rarely gives it away. Does he have a rival at CHB?
[/quote

How many play at 6 for club? Michael ONeill does but who else? Hampsey would be good but say he will always be used as a man marker

LeoMc

Burns, Hampsey, R Brennan.
Harte playing at wing back, not given the 7 jersey and playing as a forward as tended to happen

Angelo

I think he's better at wing back than centre back. Don't think he's a hard enough defender to hold the middle. O'Neill is probably the best option there for now but will need to cut some of the nonsense out.

Goals_Will_Come

Final cut of the panel last night. Any word of who got dropped?

Tyrone11234

Didn't hear who- just heard 5 or 6 were going.

An Watcher

Tyrone v Armagh on GaaGo at the weekend?