All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: T Toatler on March 19, 2012, 06:40:37 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2012, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: get up there on March 18, 2012, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: Gazza M on March 18, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
A great game of football and a great advert for club football. I thought the ref probably should have awarded Cross a couple of frees at the end  but otherwise added to the occasion by letting the game flow. On the negative side, a shocking piece of play acting by the Cross player to try and get the GC player sent off. The GC player was crazy though and a different ref might have bought it.
you cant defend what the gc player done, should have seen red, there was thousands of kids watching ffs, I'm sure the ref is embarrassed today at his display in that final
I would concur with what Gazza M wrote. I only watched the highlights so I have no opinion on the ref's overall performance but in the instance of the 'head but', the ref dealt with it very sensibly. Also I thought Cross had a fair shout for a penalty in that last goalmouth scramble when Clarke hit the post, the ball was surely handled on the ground by a Garrycastle defender. The sight of an umpire staring blankly at what transpires around the goalmouth is truly bizarre.

I find it natural to want a contest in a club final and naturally wanted Cross to have a rally, but was equally pleased that Garrycastle survived.

But the umpire has no function in "calling" technical fouls such as handling the ball on the ground.
I know, but  that doesn't make it any less bizarre. I'd say empower the umpire with a few extra responsibilities, namely spotting the square ball and obvious fouls in the penalty area. Either do that or have a ref in each half.

Milltown Row2

I would say that the referee got a few things wrong, but they always do, a split second to see something and judge it, I ain't talking about the head rub, but in general. No referee goes out to have a bad game, but are players sent out to break the rules? Are they being trained/coached to do this? Makes ya think. Only the players can make the referees job easier.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Winnie Peg

They have a set of rules in Crossmaglen that is different to what all other clubs have to adhere, ie, they can do what they like and are immune from any sanctions as where other teams are guilty if they look angry at one of their players. Their diving is almost as bad as Tyrone. There were no complaints last year when Kevin Nolan got sent of in the wrong for hanratty diving, his two yellows werent even frees and cost Kilmacud the game. how many times has Tony kernan dived and got players sent off ? Did you see him stamping on the Garrycastle players hand when he was on the ground. They usually get a player sent off each game for diving. Stephen kernan struck, he got sent off, do the crime do the time.

Throw ball

AFS

Will James Morgan now sit out the U21's match on Wednesday night? BCB1?

orangeman

Quote from: T Toatler on March 19, 2012, 06:50:17 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on March 19, 2012, 10:45:49 AM
Quote from: get up there on March 18, 2012, 08:25:21 PM
Quote from: Gazza M on March 18, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
A great game of football and a great advert for club football. I thought the ref probably should have awarded Cross a couple of frees at the end  but otherwise added to the occasion by letting the game flow. On the negative side, a shocking piece of play acting by the Cross player to try and get the GC player sent off. The GC player was crazy though and a different ref might have bought it.
you cant defend what the gc player done, should have seen red, there was thousands of kids watching ffs, I'm sure the ref is embarrassed today at his display in that final
It is early in the year, but I have seen a selection of terrible referees both live and on TV.  IMO we have a refereeing crisis and part of the reason is that the powers in Croke Park refuse to see a problem with any ref. and at times it appears that the worse the referee is the more likely he is to be promoted to bigger games.   The guideline at HQ appears to be that the more yellow cards are given out the better the referee is doing his job.  Until Duffy, Cooney & Co. realise that we have a major problem with referees things can only get worse.  As for any referee being embarrassed by his performance, that is most unlikely.  Too many refs are on ego trips.

Whilst I agree that at best the ref was muddled in his interpretation there are two issues to consider.
1. same refs, good ones, cant do all the games. If it was Pat Mc there wouldnt be half the outcry.
2. There is general ignorance of the playing rules.

I cant see Croker telling refs to card everything. In such a scenario there would be many 12 a side or less games, There will always be a couple in every game such as the last "tackle" on saturday. Refs are not inherently bad by nature. Every ref will interpret differently in most instances.

Maybe that's what they're looking ?? Padraig Duffy has recently declared that they're definitely looking at introducing 13 a side.

border rabbit

Quote from: Winnie Peg on March 19, 2012, 09:58:59 PM
They have a set of rules in Crossmaglen that is different to what all other clubs have to adhere, ie, they can do what they like and are immune from any sanctions as where other teams are guilty if they look angry at one of their players. Their diving is almost as bad as Tyrone. There were no complaints last year when Kevin Nolan got sent of in the wrong for hanratty diving, his two yellows werent even frees and cost Kilmacud the game. how many times has Tony kernan dived and got players sent off ? Did you see him stamping on the Garrycastle players hand when he was on the ground. They usually get a player sent off each game for diving. Stephen kernan struck, he got sent off, do the crime do the time.

Get a life! Cross do alot of things but dive, yeah right! They are an honest and hard team that know their limitations but also know their strengths. You will find that most teams cant handle their intensity and physical side of the game and get drawn into something they shouldnt! If the were divers how come Jamie Clarke stayed on is feet all day instead of falling when he had men hanging from him every time he got the ball, yet that clown waved play-on, unlike Dolan who, as the papers said on Sunday, "used his experience to manufacture free" ie he was diving!!

Stephen Kernan did not strike!  FACT, i was at the match and it was barely a push as the man ploughed into him after the ball was away!

Garycastle were getting away with alot off the ball too and umpires turned a blind-eye to it.

A proper ref on Sunday and Cross would have at least 3 or 4 scorable frees and GC would have had 2 or 3 less!

Heres hoping common sense prevails on Sunday and the best team wins out and we arent talking about incompetent refereeing again!!!

oakleafgael

Quote from: border rabbit on March 19, 2012, 10:55:17 PM

Get a life! Cross do alot of things but dive, yeah right! They are an honest and hard team that know their limitations but also know their strengths. You will find that most teams cant handle their intensity and physical side of the game and get drawn into something they shouldnt! If the were divers how come Jamie Clarke stayed on is feet all day instead of falling when he had men hanging from him every time he got the ball, yet that clown waved play-on, unlike Dolan who, as the papers said on Sunday, "used his experience to manufacture free" ie he was diving!!

Stephen Kernan did not strike!  FACT, i was at the match and it was barely a push as the man ploughed into him after the ball was away!

Garycastle were getting away with alot off the ball too and umpires turned a blind-eye to it.

A proper ref on Sunday and Cross would have at least 3 or 4 scorable frees and GC would have had 2 or 3 less!

Heres hoping common sense prevails on Sunday and the best team wins out and we arent talking about incompetent refereeing again!!!

Not getting drawn into the whole arguement but the lad who got "headbutted" on Saturday went down as if he had been poleaxed. Now there was definetly contact and it was a red card offence but no where near enough for the reaction, so what would you call that?

Winnie Peg

Border rabbit, are you honestly saying that cross players don't dive. Wasn't Macentee complaining after the game that none of them "bought" a foul. Are you saying that Tony Kernan is not a diving cynical cheat. Are you saying that Tony Kernan didnt stamp on a GC players hand. Are you saying that Hanratty doesnt dive? And all that British Army stuff taking over your pitch when you cried when they left, having to go out and fundraise like the rest of us. As cynical a team as you will get anywhere in Ireland.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: oakleafgael on March 19, 2012, 11:00:22 PM
Quote from: border rabbit on March 19, 2012, 10:55:17 PM

Not getting drawn into the whole arguement but the lad who got "headbutted" on Saturday went down as if he had been poleaxed. Now there was definetly contact and it was a red card offence but no where near enough for the reaction, so what would you call that?

There was a play with about 8-10 minutes left in the second half where Jamie was going in to what looked like would be a goal opportunity and was clotheslined by a GC player and the Ref let the play continue. No free, yellow or what should have been a red - so to say there are different rules for Cross is mute, did Cross get away with some things,yes, but I seen plenty that GC got away with. The Ref was consistent calling non-fouls - fouls and letting fouls go on as nothing happened. It seemed the harder or more challenging the hit/play the less likely he was going to call anything.

I can't wait for the reply as it should be a great match where I thought Cross would pull away in the first match but I was impressed by the way GC continued to play until the final 5minutes.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Croí na hÉireann

Jesus Christ, this place is getting as bad as the hoganstand, an absolute savage game on Saturday, end to end, score for score, rarely seen physicality and ye're all whinging about the referee.  ::)

What about McConville's fire?
What about the battle between Dessie and Morgan?
What about the wizardry shown by Clarke when he danced by four defenders that lead to the second yellow?
What about Mulville's textbook finish?
What about Crossmaglen winning all the breaking ball in the last 15 minutes?
What about James Dolan running past two defenders like they weren't even there?

I could go on...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 20, 2012, 10:28:19 AM
Jesus Christ, this place is getting as bad as the hoganstand, an absolute savage game on Saturday, end to end, score for score, rarely seen physicality and ye're all whinging about the referee.  ::)

What about the wizardry shown by Clarke when he danced by four defenders that lead to the second yellow?

I could go on...

Couldn't agree more - for the neutral it was pulsating - a game neither team deserved to lose - GC got the chance to dethrone Cross but I fear they've missed the boat. They had the chances to win the game. Cross will be a different proposition in the replay. By the way, does anybody know when and where it's fixed for ??

brokencrossbar1

I could go on...

Agreed completely.  As much as I roared at the fecker the referee wasn't the difference between either team winning or losing.  I watched the game twice since Saturday and I still think its as good a game as there has been at any level in the last few years.  Some of the movement in the forwards by both teams was exceptional.  I have to say that Garrycastle were everything that I expected and I would also like to say I would ersonally have loved to play in that game with that particular referee, I would have had great fun altogether ;D 

The 2 sendings off were dubious though I would say on relation to McHughs second yellow he had made at least 4 tickable offences, on top of the first yellow, and the ref I think was just about right on the basis of persistent fouling.  His first yellow was a clear one.  PK's first yellow was touch and go as he made a genuine attempt to block the ball and did actually connect with the ball, he just caught the man's leg too.  Second yellow wasn't even a free.  The 'head-butt' was a clear straight red card and I have spoken to 2 referees about that and they both stated that.  They also bot stated that Aaron Cunningham should have seen red also for dangerous play. 

For what it is worth, although Garrycastle were the better team in the first half I don't think is as clear cut as people might like to suggest.  Up to the 22nd both teams traded points and I think at the time of the goal it was 7-6 in favour of Garycastle.  We had opened their FB line up at least twice, Jamie shot a point when a goal chance was on and AK couldn't get his pass to young Brennan who had an one on one with the keeper.  Garrycastle took the goal at a crucial time and I think it sugar coated their dominance a small bit.  In saying that though we were not getting our flowing game going really due to their hard work and hard tackling which eveidentally took its toll from the 40th minute on.  We missed serious chances in the last 10 minutes and really should have wrapped the game up but in fairness to Garrycastle they put us back well by going 2 ahead again after we pulled it level.  I was screaming at the top of my voice for someone to pull down James Dolan once he started his run that lead to the free.  Johnny Waah did it to Dolan and it was a worthwhile yellow. A draw was a fair result as both teams played well in patches over the hour and while I would have loved to win it out Garrycastle deserve another rattle at it. 

Replay to be fixed tonight with lots of rumblings that it will be Navan on Saturday 31st.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2012, 01:18:56 AM
The Cross player was going head to head with the Garrycastle player and he saw the ref and decided he was a Olympic diver rather than a gaelic footballer. Look at it again; the Garrycastle player's head went forward when the Cross player started going down, it was simply the pressure he was applying to be pushing against the Cross player's forehead. There was no malicious intent beyond that. In motion it looked horrible but in reality the Cross player was trying to draw the red card.

Whatever the letter of the law, the referee made the right choice in just giving the Garrycastle player a yellow. It showed the one trait most referees lack: common sense.
Absolute rubbish, watch it again. Undoubtedly McKeown needled the GC player, but the law is clear headbutting is straight red. Hickey showed extreme bias in the first half against Cross, and again with some of his calls in the second half most notably on the penalty decision where the GC player clearly played the ball on the deck. He was inconsistent at best. Lest we believe that this type of reffing is the sole preserve of Rory Hickey, Joe McQuillan gave a similar inconsistent approach to cards in yesterdays McCrory final. The GAA needs to work on training and developing refs. Part of the problem is that they only allow a small number of the panel to refs at the highest level and the purpose of the assessor seems to be to punish Refs rather than be part of a process of teaching and improving.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 20, 2012, 10:51:33 AM

I could go on...

Agreed completely.  As much as I roared at the fecker the referee wasn't the difference between either team winning or losing.  I watched the game twice since Saturday and I still think its as good a game as there has been at any level in the last few years.  Some of the movement in the forwards by both teams was exceptional.  I have to say that Garrycastle were everything that I expected and I would also like to say I would ersonally have loved to play in that game with that particular referee, I would have had great fun altogether ;D 

The 2 sendings off were dubious though I would say on relation to McHughs second yellow he had made at least 4 tickable offences, on top of the first yellow, and the ref I think was just about right on the basis of persistent fouling.  His first yellow was a clear one.  PK's first yellow was touch and go as he made a genuine attempt to block the ball and did actually connect with the ball, he just caught the man's leg too.  Second yellow wasn't even a free.  The 'head-butt' was a clear straight red card and I have spoken to 2 referees about that and they both stated that.  They also bot stated that Aaron Cunningham should have seen red also for dangerous play. 

For what it is worth, although Garrycastle were the better team in the first half I don't think is as clear cut as people might like to suggest.  Up to the 22nd both teams traded points and I think at the time of the goal it was 7-6 in favour of Garycastle.  We had opened their FB line up at least twice, Jamie shot a point when a goal chance was on and AK couldn't get his pass to young Brennan who had an one on one with the keeper.  Garrycastle took the goal at a crucial time and I think it sugar coated their dominance a small bit.  In saying that though we were not getting our flowing game going really due to their hard work and hard tackling which eveidentally took its toll from the 40th minute on.  We missed serious chances in the last 10 minutes and really should have wrapped the game up but in fairness to Garrycastle they put us back well by going 2 ahead again after we pulled it level.  I was screaming at the top of my voice for someone to pull down James Dolan once he started his run that lead to the free.  Johnny Waah did it to Dolan and it was a worthwhile yellow. A draw was a fair result as both teams played well in patches over the hour and while I would have loved to win it out Garrycastle deserve another rattle at it. 

Replay to be fixed tonight with lots of rumblings that it will be Navan on Saturday 31st.

Fair play bcb, reasoned analysis. Only seen it once myself since but it'll be getting another couple of watchings, it was that good, rare a game as great graces a final. The view on camera was different from the one from the Cusack, the superb game I thought Shaugho had didn't really show up on viewing the recording. Also Kernan's second yellow on camera didn't look a foul wheras from the Cusack it looked like he hauled Gary down. I gave a few shouts myself at the ref but found myself midway through the second half perversely enjoying his handling of the game, he just let the players get on with it and it was a joy to behold.

I think the referee was right with the head incident though. While I'm positive the majority of referee's would have brandished the red card (and I was waiting for it in the stand even though I was a good distance away) it was a push with the head for me, no strike. Same as the Connolly incident in the AI semi last year which got overturned, that was a push with closed fists, not a strike.

I thought the Garrycastle backline were magnificent in the last 5 mins, in their first AI final, with their backs to the wall and Crossmaglen winning everything in midfield and coming at them in waves, they stood up to the challenge and forced them to shoot from crazy positions.

All set up for a fascinating replay, both teams will feel they have scope for improvement. I'm sure Garrycastle will look at their kickouts and the breaking ball. Gary Dolan's hammer will hopefully have improved for the next day and of course Stephen will come back in. I'd say it'll be Navan alright, Breffni a better venue but Navan is more equidistant.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...