All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I only caught the highlights but even the highlights caught the compelling drama of the last 1/4.
Both sides put in a monumental effort, Cross in recovering relentlessly to the end and Garrycastle had the resilience to survive.
I won't miss the replay.

Scarface

Really wanted garrycastle to win. But alas it was not to be. Cross are a great team but are very cynical. Always niggling and hitting late. It obviously works for them but am not a fan of it.

mylestheslasher

Very enjoyable game and I while i do admire cross I was hoping Garrycastle could get the ball up to Dolan one last time and get a point. In the end they were lucky to hold out but I can't see anything other than a Cross win the next day out. Well done to both teams for a massive effort which shows just why the GAA is so great in the way two teams will fight with everything they've got to the very end for no monetary gain.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2012, 01:18:56 AM
The Cross player was going head to head with the Garrycastle player and he saw the ref and decided he was a Olympic diver rather than a gaelic footballer. Look at it again; the Garrycastle player's head went forward when the Cross player started going down, it was simply the pressure he was applying to be pushing against the Cross player's forehead. There was no malicious intent beyond that. In motion it looked horrible but in reality the Cross player was trying to draw the red card.

Whatever the letter of the law, the referee made the right choice in just giving the Garrycastle player a yellow. It showed the one trait most referees lack: common sense.

You don't put your forehead near anyones head/face.
For obvious reasons.
He deserved a straight red.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Carbery

Quote from: orangeman on March 18, 2012, 07:04:23 PM
Quote from: The Worker on March 18, 2012, 09:42:34 AM
When will details of the replay be announced?

Still no word ??

The date, time and venue of the replay will be decided by the CCCC on Tuesday 20 March 2012.

Gazza M

A great game of football and a great advert for club football. I thought the ref probably should have awarded Cross a couple of frees at the end  but otherwise added to the occasion by letting the game flow. On the negative side, a shocking piece of play acting by the Cross player to try and get the GC player sent off. The GC player was crazy though and a different ref might have bought it.

orangeman

Quote from: Carbery on March 18, 2012, 07:29:50 PM

Still no word ??

The date, time and venue of the replay will be decided by the CCCC on Tuesday 20 March 2012.

Kinda suggests 2 weeks time then ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: orangeman on March 18, 2012, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: Carbery on March 18, 2012, 07:29:50 PM

Still no word ??

Kinda suggests 2 weeks time then ?

Paddy Power seem to think its on the 25th
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

Surely the clubs would need to know asap to be fair to them ?

Cross 1/4 - GC 4/1

get up there

Quote from: Gazza M on March 18, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
A great game of football and a great advert for club football. I thought the ref probably should have awarded Cross a couple of frees at the end  but otherwise added to the occasion by letting the game flow. On the negative side, a shocking piece of play acting by the Cross player to try and get the GC player sent off. The GC player was crazy though and a different ref might have bought it.
you cant defend what the gc player done, should have seen red, there was thousands of kids watching ffs, I'm sure the ref is embarrassed today at his display in that final

Sportacus

Jamie Clarke almost clicked a couple of times but it never really went off with a bang for him. He could have a big replay.

get up there

I hope to see stephen kernan lifting the cup now after what the gaa has put that lad through,

LeoMc

Quote from: get up there on March 18, 2012, 08:54:39 PM
I hope to see stephen kernan lifting the cup now after what the gaa has put that lad through,

??? ???

I am glad to see him get his chance to lead the club out but what has the GAA has put him through?

ballymac

+1

People are too quick to blame refs others teams the CCCC ETC. As I have stated on another thread we within the GAA need to change the way we react to refs to appeals and so on.
If we take the reaction to the ref, how can we make his job easier, or how or what could he have done to make his own job easier?
I don't agree that a ref needs to book a few people early on to get control, players need to be in control of themselves and if they lose control then take the punishment, no appeals. As someone stated there is no common sense in the rule book, maybe its time that the refs were allowed to use common sense.