Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
You can infer what happened from the way the articles are written. He "died suddenly".

Isn't a heart attack usually sudden?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

You can infer what happened from the way the articles are written. He "died suddenly".

Unfortunately I heard that was the case :(

maggie

Am really saddened to hear about Stephen Clements. Listened him on Q morning show and more recently on Radio Ulster and thought he was a natural at it. His last tweet is very poignant. 

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2020, 02:43:03 PM

Sad for all those involved.

If it was suicide is the reason it's not widely published an attempt not to glorify it?

nrico2006

I assumed heart attack with the 'died suddenly' announcement.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Craigyhill Terror

99 times out of 100, if a news report says "died suddenly" with no other details, it's suicide

Tubberman

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 07, 2020, 03:39:56 PM
99 times out of 100, if a news report says "died suddenly" with no other details, it's suicide

Marian Finucane?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2020, 02:43:03 PM

Sad for all those involved.

If it was suicide is the reason it's not widely published an attempt not to glorify it?

There seems to always have been some kind of etiquette around the reporting of it.

Can't believe that. I listened to him regularly when he was on Q radio and he seemed a nice guy with a nice wee family round him etc. Just shows you :(

Kidder81

Split up with the wife I think

gallsman

Quote from: Tubberman on January 07, 2020, 04:14:23 PM

Marian Finucane?

That doesn't disprove anything? The phrase "died suddenly" without any further explanation is almost always a roundabout way of referring to suicide. We had a whole thread here some years back about how suicide is reported, the terminology used etc. Came about after Niall O'Donoghue died.

RIP to the man and thoughts with his family.

armaghniac

Statistics from Samaritans on suicide rates per 100,000 in the Britain and Ireland:

Men:
NI: 28.0
Scotland: 21.9
Wales: 19.1
England: 15.9
RoI: 11.7

Women:
NI: 9.5
Scotland: 7.3
Wales: 6.9
England: 4.9
RoI: 2.9
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2020, 05:40:48 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 07, 2020, 04:14:23 PM

Marian Finucane?

That doesn't disprove anything? The phrase "died suddenly" without any further explanation is almost always a roundabout way of referring to suicide. We had a whole thread here some years back about how suicide is reported, the terminology used etc. Came about after Niall O'Donoghue died.

RIP to the man and thoughts with his family.

The convention is age dependent though
Below  50 it typically applies to suicides and drug misadventures

« Died after a long illness bravely borne » is one of the alternatives
No flowers please
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Listened regularly to Clements and Conway every morning on the way to work, very good and quick witted, he had written a book about growing up, and if you're a certain age it's hits the spot.

Also heard recently as Kidder said had recent split with wife, who knows the pressures people put on themselves or was there always that darkness behind the outwardly happy smile he showed.

It's a shocker and brings home (if not already) the suicide rates for this place, especially men under 50!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There was an eleven year old boy killed himself in Belfast last Friday. Suicide a major problem and only getting worse :(

BennyCake

I don't care what anyone says, but social media is a big part of today's mental health issues.

Everyone is connected but nobody is actually taking the time to meet and talk properly.